How does Aluminum conduct electricity despite its non-conductive oxide layer?

In summary, aluminum metal forms a thick oxide layer in air which is non-conductive and prevents chemical reactions. However, it is still conductive when connected to other materials, even with loose contact. This is due to a mechanism that allows for the passage of electric current through the oxide layer. This behavior is also seen in other metals and is not present in carbon, which does not form a surface layer. The exact mechanism is not fully understood, but it may involve electron tunneling or electron field emission.
lightarrow
Aluminum metal covers itself immediately of an oxide layer in air. This layer is quite thick, more than 0,01mm they say and it's non-conductive. This layer infact is, e.g., thick enough to prevent soldering, further chemical attack by air oxygen or water (with which nude Al would immediately react) or discharge of many kinds of ions in solution (for example it doesn't react with Cu++, unless Cl- ions or other catalyzing agent added).
Why then a piece or a thread of Al metal is conductive? That is, how can it conduct an electric current when is touched with electric cables (connected to a battery)?

Why the mechanism, whatever it is, which allows the passage of electric current through the Al2O3 layer, doesn't allow ions discharge at its surface?

(Clearly there are other materials that shows this behavior, Al is just an example).
Thanks.

--
lightarrow

Physics news on Phys.org
lightarrow said:
Aluminum metal covers itself immediately of an oxide layer in air. This layer is quite thick, more than 0,01mm they say and it's non-conductive. This layer infact is, e.g., thick enough to prevent soldering, further chemical attack by air oxygen or water (with which nude Al would immediately react) or discharge of many kinds of ions in solution (for example it doesn't react with Cu++, unless Cl- ions or other catalyzing agent added).
Why then a piece or a thread of Al metal is conductive? That is, how can it conduct an electric current when is touched with electric cables (connected to a battery)?

Why the mechanism, whatever it is, which allows the passage of electric current through the Al2O3 layer, doesn't allow ions discharge at its surface?

(Clearly there are other materials that shows this behavior, Al is just an example).
Thanks.

--
lightarrow
A tight physical connection will break through the oxide layer.

But current passes easily even if the connection is not tight: simply touched with the points of a tester' cables you can't find any significant surface resistance (if present is lower than 0.1 Ohm). You can try yourself with a piece of conventional (not anodized) Aluminum.

--
lightarrow

lightarrow said:
But current passes easily even if the connection is not tight: simply touched with the points of a tester' cables you can't find any significant surface resistance (if present is lower than 0.1 Ohm). You can try yourself with a piece of conventional (not anodized) Aluminum.

--
lightarrow
I have found that with many metals which form oxide coatings, there is a tendency to conduction happening due to electron tunneling action if the voltage is higher than a few volts. Interestingly, carbon, which doe not form a surface layer, does not do this. Iron, copper, nickel, mercury, zinc all seem to have the property together with many others.

tech99 said:
I have found that with many metals which form oxide coatings, there is a tendency to conduction happening due to electron tunneling action if the voltage is higher than a few volts. Interestingly, carbon, which doe not form a surface layer, does not do this. Iron, copper, nickel, mercury, zinc all seem to have the property together with many others.
Interesting. Now there is just to understand how much it is this minimum ddp requested for the passage of electric current.

By the way: it'a sort of "two-way" diode? :-)

lightarrow said:
Interesting. Now there is just to understand how much it is this minimum ddp requested for the passage of electric current.

By the way: it'a sort of "two-way" diode? :-)
I am not certain that is what happens with aluminium, but with the other metals I mentioned, by using a "loose contact" it is possible with care to obtain a two-way diode characteristic. These are called MIM diodes. I found this out by making experiments with a "coherers", the radio detector device used in the 19th century. The voltage may be in the order of a volt. I have been able to use it to demodulate off-air radio signals by applying a small bias. In this role, it is about 10dB inferior to a Germanium diode. In the original device it was sometimes use as a "linear detector" and other times as threshold device, like an SCR. In the latter case, a large current is allowed to pass, and it is supposed that micro welding then occurs.
The action does not occur with carbon, which does not form a surface layer, and is symmetrical, not resembling a semi conductor diode, even when dissimilar materials are used.

Likes lightarrow
Even more interesting!
Thanks tech99.

--
lightarrow

lightarrow said:
Even more interesting!
Thanks tech99.

--
lightarrow
I also wondered if the action was due to Electron Field Emission, as the surfaces were rough and closely spaced by thin patches of insulating oxide. This would create the very high potential gradient at the little points on the surface which might provide electron emission. But I found that if I used one smooth surface, such as Mercury, and another rough, such as Carbon, I still observed a symmetrical (bi-directional diode) response. For this reason, I don't think it is Electron Field Emission.

1. What is the surface conductivity of aluminum?

The surface conductivity of aluminum refers to its ability to conduct electricity on its outermost layer. This is influenced by various factors such as temperature, humidity, and surface treatment.

2. How does the surface conductivity of aluminum compare to other metals?

Aluminum has a relatively high surface conductivity compared to other metals. It is not as conductive as copper or silver, but it is more conductive than iron and steel.

3. What factors affect the surface conductivity of aluminum?

The surface conductivity of aluminum is influenced by factors such as surface roughness, presence of impurities, and the type of oxide layer on the surface. It is also affected by temperature and humidity.

4. How can the surface conductivity of aluminum be improved?

The surface conductivity of aluminum can be improved by using surface treatments such as anodization or chemical etching to remove impurities and create a smoother surface. Additionally, reducing the thickness of the oxide layer can also improve conductivity.

5. Why is the surface conductivity of aluminum important?

The surface conductivity of aluminum is important in various applications, such as in electronics and electrical wiring. It also plays a role in the corrosion resistance of aluminum, as a more conductive surface can lead to faster corrosion. Understanding and controlling the surface conductivity of aluminum is crucial for optimizing its performance and durability.