How does an oscillator truly work?

In summary, the author tries to explain how an oscillator works and why the magnetic induction laws result in the capacitor being recharged with the opposite polarity.
Heitorthehandyman

Homework Statement

what type of wave is light and how is light propagated through space? How are these types of waves created, for example, with an oscillator.

Homework Equations

none
3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I have the answer sheet because this is a practice test question. but I don't want to be a machine spitting out what i read and I don't want to blank in the exam. a clear understanding would help me through my future studies I am sure. I understand for this question the answer is that "light is an electromagnetic wave and it is made of an electric field and a perpendicular magnetic field that propagate each other through space." but that just sounds very confusing.
I understand that using an oscillator you have the magnetic force from the inductor and the electric force from the capacitor that propagate each other. Maybe the first question was worded weird because the answer seems to be specific what type of light wave is and how it is propagated through the oscillator.
For the third question i did quite a lot of research into oscillators and capacitors and inductors reading howstuffworks but still could not understand one main thing. follow this train of thought from howstuff works:
"If you charge up the capacitor with a battery and then insert the inductor into the circuit, here's what will happen:

• The capacitor will start to discharge through the inductor. As it does, the inductor will create a magnetic field.
  • Once the capacitor discharges, the inductor will try to keep the current in the circuit moving, so it will charge up the other plate of the capacitor.
  • Once the inductor's field collapses, the capacitor has been recharged (but with the opposite polarity), so it discharges again through the inductor."
what does the bold part mean? I am so confused as to why that would ever happen.
how and why does the polarity switch? why doe the inductor charge the other plate of the capacitor. aside from this it mostly makes sense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Heitorthehandyman said:

Homework Statement

what type of wave is light and how is light propagated through space? How are these types of waves created, for example, with an oscillator.

I understand for this question the answer is that "light is an electromagnetic wave and it is made of an electric field and a perpendicular magnetic field that propagate each other through space."
You have the answers so you know - often you are expected to say it is a transverse traveling wave as well though.

I understand that using an oscillator you have the magnetic force from the inductor and the electric force from the capacitor that propagate each other.

Maybe the first question was worded weird because the answer seems to be specific what type of light wave is and how it is propagated through the oscillator.
The first question is a compound one - it asks what light is and how it propagates through space. The second asks a completely different question about how a light wave gets generated at the source. You are not asked about propagation of light through the oscillator.

Unless you have an example in your notes (likely) then think about how a radio antenna works... when used to broadcast.

For the third question...
Your problem statement only has two questions (count the question marks.)
Perhaps rewrite the statement, numbering the questions you are answering would be a useful focussing exercise?

i did quite a lot of research into oscillators and capacitors and inductors reading howstuffworks but still could not understand one main thing. follow this train of thought from howstuff works:
"If you charge up the capacitor with a battery and then insert the inductor into the circuit, here's what will happen:

• The capacitor will start to discharge through the inductor. As it does, the inductor will create a magnetic field.
  • Once the capacitor discharges, the inductor will try to keep the current in the circuit moving, so it will charge up the other plate of the capacitor.
  • Once the inductor's field collapses, the capacitor has been recharged (but with the opposite polarity), so it discharges again through the inductor."
what does the bold part mean? I am so confused as to why that would ever happen.
how and why does the polarity switch? why doe the inductor charge the other plate of the capacitor. aside from this it mostly makes sense to me.
It means what it says ... the inductor wants the current to keep moving. This is a consequence of magnetic induction laws.

The result is that the inductor is actively forcing charges to move from one plate to the other in the direction they'd normally go ... so if you imagine the cap is initially charged so plat A is positive and plate B is negative, and positive charge is being moved from plate A to plate B, and the inductor is actively shovelling extra charges from plate A to plate B... what happens to the sign of the net charge on plate B and plate A?

However - neither question asks you how an oscillator works. You do not need to know this to answer the question.

I believe the first question asks how electromagnetic waves propagate through space. Not just light but all electromagnetic waves. I am just not satisfied with the answer from the answer key. Seems vague to me.
I spoke with a friend who does Electrical eng. I did not realize that the charges are moving from one plate through the other through the circuit rather than through the dielectric insulator in the middle. haha
The sign of net charge flips correct? and then the capacitor discharges again and the inductor will push it back to plate A that's where we get our oscillating wave of voltage.

I'm sure you're already aware but an electronic oscillator (using an LC tank circuit) cannot operate at a high enough frequency to generate light waves.

no I didn't know. my knowledge of electronics is very limited

... in physics: all electromagnetic waves are light.
LC-tank circuits are often used to tune RF transmitters... radio frequency is a kind of light.
However, it is common for people to reserve the label "light" to the visible and nearby frequencies IR and UV.

In the context of this problem, radio is light.

The sign of net charge flips correct? and then the capacitor discharges again and the inductor will push it back to plate A that's where we get our oscillating wave of voltage.
That's close enough.

thanks boss

No worries.

Related to How does an oscillator truly work?

1. What is an oscillator?

An oscillator is a device or system that produces repetitive and periodic variations, such as a sound or an electromagnetic wave. It uses energy to continuously move back and forth between two states or levels.

2. How does an oscillator produce a continuous output?

An oscillator works by using a positive feedback loop, where a portion of its output is fed back into its input. This feedback creates a continuous oscillation or vibration, resulting in a continuous output.

3. What is the role of the frequency in an oscillator?

The frequency of an oscillator is the number of cycles it completes in a given time period. It determines the rate at which the oscillator oscillates and produces its output. Different types of oscillators have different frequency ranges and can be adjusted to produce a specific frequency.

4. How does an oscillator maintain its output frequency?

An oscillator maintains its output frequency by using a feedback mechanism and a timing element, such as a capacitor or inductor. The timing element controls the rate at which the feedback signal is fed back into the input, ensuring that the oscillator continues to produce a stable output frequency.

5. What are some common applications of oscillators?

Oscillators have a wide range of applications, including in electronic circuits, communications systems, and timekeeping devices. They are commonly used in radios, televisions, computers, and mobile phones to generate and control frequencies. They are also used in clocks, watches, and other timekeeping devices to maintain accurate time.