How Does Centripetal Force Relate to Distance in Orbital Motion?

In summary, the question is about the relationship between centripetal force and distance in an orbit. The correct answer is that the force varies inversely with the square of the distance. This can be determined by knowing the formula for centripetal force and understanding that the distance in question is the distance between two point masses.
dance_sg

Homework Statement

Newton showed that a centripetal force acts on an object moving in an orbit that varies

A. directly with the distance from the centre of force
B. inversely with the distance from the centre of force
C. directly with the square of the distance from the centre of force
D. inversely with the square of the distance form the centre of force

The question above is a question on the assignment that I am trying to finish. However, i do not understand what the question is asking, or what he answers mean. What is the square? and how do i know if its inversely or directly? ah! any suggestions??

Physics news on Phys.org
directly with the square of distance = distance^2

inversely with the square of distance = 1/(distance^2)

ok. But how do i know if its inversly or directly? do i have to look at a formula?

Well what's Newtons law of gravity?

dance_sg said:
ok. But how do i know if its inversly or directly? do i have to look at a formula?

You need to know HOW centripetal force varies with distance in order to answer the question (to pick the correct option). So yes, that would entail a formula for centripetal force that you ought to know.

EDIT: Okay, Feldoh interpreted "moving in an orbit" more narrowly that I did and assumed that the specific centripetal force in question was being caused by gravity. That could very well be what the question is asking about...

so since r is the distance between the two point masses in the formula, then that means it would d, inversely with the square of distance. right?

Sounds about right.

Related to How Does Centripetal Force Relate to Distance in Orbital Motion?

1. What are the three laws of motion according to Newton?

The three laws of motion, also known as Newton's laws, are:
1. An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.
2. The force applied on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. This is known as F=ma.
3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's laws of motion are applicable to everyday life in various ways. For example, the first law explains why objects stay still or keep moving in a straight line unless acted upon by a force. The second law is relevant in activities such as driving a car, where the acceleration of the vehicle depends on the force applied by the engine. The third law can be seen in action when we walk or run, as our feet push against the ground, and the ground pushes back with an equal and opposite force.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's laws?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Newton's second law states that the force applied on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Therefore, mass is directly related to the force required to accelerate an object, while weight is dependent on the strength of gravity.

4. Can Newton's laws be broken?

No, Newton's laws of motion are fundamental principles of physics that have been extensively tested and proven to be true. However, they may not always seem to apply in certain situations due to external factors such as friction or air resistance, but the laws themselves cannot be broken or violated.

5. How does Newton's third law apply to rocket propulsion?

Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In rocket propulsion, the action is the force of hot gases being expelled from the rocket's engines, and the reaction is the movement of the rocket in the opposite direction. This principle allows rockets to move forward by pushing against the gases expelled out of the back of the rocket.