How Does Changing Tension and Radius Affect the Work Done on a Toy Plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses a toy plane with a mass of 1.04 kg traveling in a horizontal circle with a 17-m radius at a speed of 23 m/s. The tension in the string is increased by a factor of four and the radius decreases to 8 m. The net work done on the plane can be calculated by taking into account the change in tension and radius.
Sal915
A toy plane with a mass of 1.04 kg is tied to a string and made to travel at a speed of 23 m/s in a horizontal circle with a 17-m radius. The person holding the string pulls the plane in, increasing the tension in the string, increasing the speed of the plane and decreasing the radius of the plane's orbit. What is the net work done on the plane if the tension in the string increases by a factor of four and the radius decreases to 8 m.
7-p-026.gif
A light spring obeys Hooke's Law. It takes
30.7 J of work to stretch this spring from an elongation of 4.34 cm to an elongation of 5.34 cm.
(a) Is the amount of work required to increase the elongation of the spring from 5.34 cm to 6.34 cm greater than, less than, or equal to 30.7 J?
greater than
less than
equal to - this is what i chose but got it wrong, chose this because both have a difference of 1.00
(b) Verify your answer to part (a) by calculating the required work.
_____ J i put 30.7 J here but got it wrong because i thought it would be equal..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sal915. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

The template you encountered when posting showed how you are required to demonstrate effort at solving the problems yourself. So how have you tried to solve 1?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Does Changing Tension and Radius Affect the Work Done on a Toy Plane?

What is the best approach for solving physics questions?

The best approach for solving physics questions is to first understand the concepts and principles involved in the question. Then, break down the question into smaller parts and use equations and formulas to solve each part. It is also important to draw diagrams or make use of visual aids to help with understanding and solving the question.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for physics questions?

To improve problem-solving skills for physics questions, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of questions. You can also seek help from a tutor or join study groups to discuss and solve challenging questions. Additionally, make use of online resources and problem-solving techniques such as the trial and error method or working backwards.

What should I do if I am stuck on a physics question?

If you are stuck on a physics question, do not panic. Take a break and come back to the question with a fresh mind. Review the concepts and equations related to the question and try to approach it from a different angle. You can also seek help from a classmate, teacher, or online resources for further clarification.

How do I check if my answer to a physics question is correct?

To check if your answer to a physics question is correct, you can use the given answer key or compare your answer with a classmate's. Additionally, you can double-check your calculations and make sure your units are correct. If you are still unsure, you can ask a teacher or tutor for feedback.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics questions include using incorrect units, making calculation errors, and not understanding the question properly. It is important to pay attention to details and be careful with your calculations. Also, make sure you fully understand the question before attempting to solve it. Lastly, avoid using shortcuts or skipping steps, as they can lead to errors in the final answer.