How does coding affect signal interference in digital communication systems?

In summary, the question is about quantifying the signal-to-interference-plus-noise ratio (SINR) for two digital communication systems operating at the same frequency and time. One system is using channel coding with a code rate of Rc, while the other is not. The SINR for system 1 (SINR1) is calculated as SNR1*Rc/(1+SNR2), where SNR1 and SNR2 are the signal-to-noise ratio per uncoded symbol at system 1 and 2's receivers, respectively. The SINR for system 2 (SINR2) is calculated as SNR2/(1+SNR1*Rc). The bandwidths of the two systems
EngWiPy
Hello all,

The following question is related to digital communication systems.

I am studying two systems operating at the same time and on the same frequency. Each system consists of one transmitter and one receiver. However, one of them, let us say system 1, is using channel coding with code rate Rc, while the other one (system 2) is not. Let SNR1 and SNR2 denote the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) per uncoded symbol at system 1's and system 2's receivers, respectively, when no interference is present.

I want to quantify SINR1 and SINR2, where SINRi is the signal-to-interference-plus-noise ratio (SINR) at system i's receiver. Is the following correct:

[tex]SINR_1=\frac{SNR_1\,R_c}{1+SNR_2}[/tex]

and

[tex]SINR_2=\frac{SNR_2}{1+SNR_1\,R_c}[/tex]
?

Thanks

Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
S_David said:
Hello all,

The following question is related to digital communication systems.

I am studying two systems operating at the same time and on the same frequency. Each system consists of one transmitter and one receiver. However, one of them, let us say system 1, is using channel coding with code rate Rc, while the other one (system 2) is not. Let SNR1 and SNR2 denote the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) per uncoded symbol at system 1's and system 2's receivers, respectively, when no interference is present.

I want to quantify SINR1 and SINR2, where SINRi is the signal-to-interference-plus-noise ratio (SINR) at system i's receiver. Is the following correct:

[tex]SINR_1=\frac{SNR_1\,R_c}{1+SNR_2}[/tex]

and

[tex]SINR_2=\frac{SNR_2}{1+SNR_1\,R_c}[/tex]
?

Thanks
I am not sure about your approach here. For instance, why does the coding gain of RX1 influence the performance of RX2? Are both systems occupying the same bandwidth? Would it not be clearer to work out the performance of each channel using signal powers, noise powers, interfering powers and coding gains?

tech99 said:
... Are both systems occupying the same bandwidth? ...

That is right, both are operating at the same frequency and at the same time.

tech99 said:
... Would it not be clearer to work out the performance of each channel using signal powers, noise powers, interfering powers and coding gains?

I thought that is what I am doing, isn't it?

Thanks

I think I know what you meant.

[tex]SNR_1=\frac{P_1}{P_2\,R_c+N_0\,W_1}[/tex]

and

[tex]SNR_2=\frac{P_2\,R_c}{P_1+N_0\,W_2}[/tex]

where W1 and W2 are the bandwidth of system 1 and 2, respectively. Right?

S_David said:
I think I know what you meant.

[tex]SNR_1=\frac{P_1}{P_2\,R_c+N_0\,W_1}[/tex]

and

[tex]SNR_2=\frac{P_2\,R_c}{P_1+N_0\,W_2}[/tex]

where W1 and W2 are the bandwidth of system 1 and 2, respectively. Right?
In case 1, I think the interfering power P2 is reduced by the coding gain Rc, not increased. Also notice that the two bandwidths are different and this might not be representative of the real world where all the spectrum must be shared.

tech99 said:
In case 1, I think the interfering power P2 is reduced by the coding gain Rc, not increased. Also notice that the two bandwidths are different and this might not be representative of the real world where all the spectrum must be shared.
Also, second equation, not sure why you show coding gain for RX2 when this system does not employ coding? P1 is wider band than W2 so I think you can reduce P1 by the coding gain Rc.

tech99 said:
My mistake. I meant to write
[tex]
SNR_1=\frac{P_1R_c}{P_2+N_0\,W_1}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
SNR_2=\frac{P_2}{P_1R_c+N_0\,W_2}
[/tex]

Is it correct now?

Last edited:
S_David said:
My mistake. I meant to write
[tex]
SNR_1=\frac{P_1R_c}{P_2+N_0\,W_1}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
SNR_2=\frac{P_2}{P_1R_c+N_0\,W_2}
[/tex]

Is it correct now?
I think SNR1 looks OK. With SNR2, I am thinking that the interfering power P1 is divided by Rc, because the bandwidth of channel 1 is wider, so the interference into channel 2 is reduced.

tech99 said:
I think SNR1 looks OK. With SNR2, I am thinking that the interfering power P1 is divided by Rc, because the bandwidth of channel 1 is wider, so the interference into channel 2 is reduced.

Yes, the interfering power is reduced from system 1, and this reduction is due to coding. Remember Rc is not the coding gain, it is the code rate which is less than 1, hence P1*Rc<P1.

Related to How does coding affect signal interference in digital communication systems?

1. What is coded system interference?

Coded system interference refers to the unwanted signals or disturbances that disrupt the performance of a coded system, such as a computer program or electronic device. These interferences can come from a variety of sources, including external sources like other electronic devices or internal sources like faulty components.

2. How does coded system interference affect the performance of a system?

Coded system interference can cause a range of negative effects on a system, including decreased speed, errors, and crashes. This interference can disrupt the signals and data being transmitted within a system, resulting in incorrect or incomplete information being processed.

3. What are the common sources of coded system interference?

There are several common sources of coded system interference, including external sources like power lines, radio signals, and electromagnetic interference from other electronic devices. Internal sources can include faulty components, poor design, or improper installation of the system.

4. How can you prevent or minimize coded system interference?

To prevent or minimize coded system interference, it is important to shield the system from external sources of interference, such as using surge protectors or placing the system away from other electronic devices. Properly grounding the system and using high-quality components can also help reduce internal sources of interference.

5. Can coded system interference be fixed once it occurs?

In some cases, coded system interference can be fixed by identifying and eliminating the source of the interference. However, if the interference has caused damage to the system or its components, it may require replacing or repairing the affected parts. It is important to address coded system interference as soon as possible to prevent further damage and ensure the system's proper functioning.