How Does Coriolis Force Affect Free Fall at the Equator?

In summary, the solution for free fall from height h to the Earth´s surface in a place with geographical width φ can be found by using the equation of motion and considering the variables of angular speed and geographic width. The resulting equation is y(t) = (gωt^3cosφ)/3.
Garunekk
Hi,
I would need some help with my homework. I am lost.

Solve free fall from height h to the Earth´s surface in the place with geographical width φ. During solving, omit addiction gravitational acceleration to the distance. (consider a homogeneous gravity field) and variables which are including angular speed ω consider for much less then variables including gt. Consider h=100m and
φ=0 degree.

The result should be y(t)=(gωt^3cosφ)/3. Bud I am not sure, how to get it. I am sure I have to use Coriolisi´s force. But as I said, I am lost.
Thank you for your help and sorry for my bad english.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution can be derived from the equation of motion for a free falling object in a homogeneous gravitational field,d2y/dt2 = -gwhere g is the gravitational acceleration and y is the vertical displacement of the object.By substituting in the angular speed (ω) and the geographic width (φ), we obtain the equationd2y/dt2 = -gωcosφIntegrating twice with respect to time yields the equationy(t) = -gt^2ωcosφ/2 + C1t + C2where C1 and C2 are constants of integration.Using initial conditions, namely that y(0) = h and dy/dt(0) = 0, we can solve for C1 and C2. This yields the solution y(t) = (gωt^3cosφ)/3 + h

Related to How Does Coriolis Force Affect Free Fall at the Equator?

1. What is free fall from height h?

Free fall from height h is a scientific concept that describes the motion of an object when it is dropped or falls freely from a certain height without any external forces acting on it, except for the force of gravity.

2. What is the acceleration of an object in free fall?

The acceleration of an object in free fall is constant and is equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. How does the speed of an object change during free fall from height h?

The speed of an object in free fall increases as it falls towards the ground due to the constant acceleration of gravity. This means that the object will fall faster and faster until it reaches the ground.

4. Does the mass of an object affect its free fall from height h?

No, the mass of an object does not affect its free fall. In a vacuum, all objects fall with the same acceleration due to gravity regardless of their mass. This is known as the "equivalence principle" in physics.

5. How can we calculate the time it takes for an object to free fall from height h?

The time it takes for an object to free fall from height h can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in m/s².