How does heat conductivity work? Al -> Cu

In summary, the conversation discusses the heat transfer between two same volume blocks of metal, one Aluminium and one copper, when the Aluminium is heated to 100 degrees C. According to Clausius' statement of the second law of thermodynamics, heat cannot pass from a colder to a warmer body without some other change. Therefore, the heat will eventually equalize between the two metals. However, the heat transfer from Aluminium to copper will continue as copper sheds heat faster into the environment. The exact situation being discussed is not clear.
hlock
TL;DR Summary
Will copper draw heat out of aluminium to be hotter then the Al?
One has two same volume blocks of metal, one Aluminium and one copper pushed together. If the Aluminium is instantly heated to 100 degrees C, since it has significantly higher heat conductivity will the copper draw the heat out and at some point be hotter then the aluminium? Or will it just draw the heat out until it hits equal temperature?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok thankyou, "Heat can never pass from a colder to a warmer body without some other change" so essentially it will equalise. Though I assume heat transfer Al->Cu will keep happening as the Cu will shed it faster.

What is the exact situation you are looking at? Your present description is rather confusing?

hlock said:
the Cu will shed it faster.
i am not sure what you mean by the statement

256bits said:
i am not sure what you mean by the statement

I assume he means the Cu radiates/conducts it into the environment faster than the Al will.

Likes sysprog
DaveC426913 said:
I assume he means the Cu radiates/conducts it into the environment faster than the Al will.
But does it?

1. How does heat conductivity work?

Heat conductivity is the process by which heat energy is transferred from one material to another. This transfer occurs through the movement of atoms and molecules within the material, known as thermal conduction.

2. What factors affect heat conductivity?

The heat conductivity of a material is influenced by several factors, including its composition, structure, and temperature. Materials with a higher density and tighter molecular structure tend to have higher heat conductivity, while materials with a lower density and looser molecular structure have lower heat conductivity. Additionally, higher temperatures typically result in increased heat conductivity.

3. How does heat conductivity differ between aluminum and copper?

Aluminum and copper are both good conductors of heat, but copper has a higher heat conductivity than aluminum. This is due to the difference in their atomic structures. Copper has a more compact and organized atomic structure, allowing for more efficient heat transfer compared to aluminum.

4. Can heat conductivity be changed?

Yes, the heat conductivity of a material can be altered by changing its physical properties. For example, adding impurities or alloying elements to a material can affect its heat conductivity. Additionally, changes in temperature or pressure can also impact the heat conductivity of a material.

5. How is heat conductivity measured?

Heat conductivity is typically measured in units of watts per meter kelvin (W/mK) or BTUs per hour per square foot per degree Fahrenheit (BTU/hr·ft²·°F). This measurement is obtained through experiments such as the hot plate method or the guarded hot plate method, which involve measuring the rate of heat transfer through a material at a given temperature difference.