How Does Incline Angle and Friction Affect Block and Flywheel Dynamics?

In summary: Thank you.In summary, a 5.00 kg block slides down a 36.9 degree inclined surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.25. A string attached to the block is wrapped around a 25.0 kg flywheel with a moment of inertia of 0.500 kgm2 and pulls without slipping at a distance of 0.200 m from the axis of rotation. The acceleration of the block down the plane is 1.123m/s^2 and the tension in the string is 14N. The moment of inertia formula for a disk and a cylinder are the same as long as the axis of rotation is through the center. The given radius is not needed for this solution, but may
pat666

Homework Statement

A block with mass m = 5.00 kg slides down a surface inclined 36.9 to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25. A string attached to the block is wrapped around a flywheel has mass 25.0 kg and moment of inertia 0.500 kgm2 with respect to the axis of rotation. The string pulls without slipping at a perpendicular distance of 0.200 m from that axis.
a) What is the acceleration of the block down the plane? my answer:1.123m/s^2
b) What is the tension in the string? my answer:14N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

hey, i did post this before sorry. the reason i put it up again is that i really need to know if i am correct or not and i need to know asap... thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Show how you got the numbers, then we will tell you if your approach is correct and where you went wrong, if you did go wrong.

the 1st thing i did was: ΣF_x=F_g *sinθ-F_fric-T=ma〗
then after that i did did this T= 1/2 M*a and subbed that into the original equation to solved for a.

after i had a i subbed it in T= 1/2 M*a to find T. Please get back to me.. thanks.

pat666 said:
the 1st thing i did was: ΣF_x=F_g *sinθ-F_fric-T=ma〗
then after that i did did this T= 1/2 M*a and subbed that into the original equation to solved for a.

after i had a i subbed it in T= 1/2 M*a to find T. Please get back to me.. thanks.
It looks right, but why is T = (1/2)Ma ? Where did that come from? Is that always true?

That came from τ=r*T=Iα= 1/2 M*r^2*α i think that it would always be true but I am not sure, did you check the actual numbers or just the process?

pat666 said:
That came from τ=r*T=Iα= 1/2 M*r^2*α i think that it would always be true but I am not sure, did you check the actual numbers or just the process?
It is true only as long as you have a cylinder so that you can write its moment of inertia as (1/2)Mr2. I checked the process only and it looks fine. I trust you know how to punch numbers in your calculator.

yeah i hope so, all pulleys are cylinders arnt they?? i have another question about a buch longer cylinder (coke can shape). it would be true for that wouldn't it??

Yes, the moment of inertia formula for a disk and a cylinder are the same as long as the axis of rotation is through the center.

ok, good thanks for your help.

sorry 1 more thing, I've asked a few people this. why am i given a radius if it is not needed, is there another way of solving these that does use the radius??

pat666 said:
sorry 1 more thing, I've asked a few people this. why am i given a radius if it is not needed, is there another way of solving these that does use the radius??

If they ask you for the torque you need to know the radius. In this case you just used the definition of torque without having to calculate torque itself. Problems sometimes give extra information to force you to think about what it useful info and what is not useful.

ok i was just asking because i have 3 questions all that give a radius and all that i solved without it. Although, i do understand what you are saying about extra information.

Related to How Does Incline Angle and Friction Affect Block and Flywheel Dynamics?

What is the incline moment of inertia?

The incline moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is the summation of the mass of an object and its distribution around an axis of rotation.

How is the incline moment of inertia calculated?

The incline moment of inertia is calculated by summing up the products of the mass of each particle in an object and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This calculation can become more complex for irregularly shaped objects, but for simple shapes, there are formulas that can be used.

What factors affect the incline moment of inertia?

The incline moment of inertia is affected by the mass of an object, the shape and distribution of that mass, and the axis of rotation. Objects with more mass and a greater distance from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia.

Why is the incline moment of inertia important?

The incline moment of inertia is an important concept in physics and engineering because it helps us understand how objects behave when they are rotating. It is necessary for calculating the torque needed to rotate an object and predicting an object's rotational motion.

How is the concept of incline moment of inertia applied in real life?

The concept of incline moment of inertia is applied in many real-life scenarios, such as designing machines and structures that involve rotational motion. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where understanding an object's moment of inertia can help athletes perform more efficiently. Additionally, the concept is used in the design of vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, to ensure stability and control during rotation.