How does light split into colors?

• Thread starter YeeHaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Split
  • Featured
In summary, a person came home to find discrete lines of colored light on their living room floor, and asked for an explanation of this phenomenon. Discussions suggested that the combination of glass and blinds was creating this effect, with the sunlight decomposing into spectrum colors. Further analysis using geometry and optical distortion showed that a transparent, wedge-shaped object outside the window was causing the light to converge and produce the colorful lines. The person also shared more details and pictures, but the cause of the discrete and intense lines remains a mystery. Some suggested removing the blinds to test for continuous spectra, while others admired the unique and cool effect.
YeeHaa
Hi all

Today I came home to find very discrete lines of colored light on my living room floor. Can anyone help me to explain this phenomena? I am familiar with dispersion but am wondering how the combination of glass and blinds is creating this effect.
When I rotate the shutters as you can see from the pictures, the colors changed.

Regards

Attachments

• 20181027_123838.jpg
    20181027_123838.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 694
  • 20181027_123756.jpg
    20181027_123756.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 684
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Joshy, dRic2 and PeroK
Science news on Phys.org
YeeHaa said:
Hi all

Today I came home to find very discrete lines of colored light on my living room floor. Can anyone help me to explain this phenonoma? I am familiair with dispersion but am wondering how the combination of glass and blinds is creating this effect.
When I rotate the shutters as you can see from the pictures, the colors changed.

Regards

that's very nice!

Do you gave any glass ornaments on your sill?
[quote fixed by mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
My parter had something similar that was the result of hanging glass beads

when the white sun light enters through a glass leaf at a specific angle, the light decomposing to the original color according to it wave length, the red color has a longer wave is angled at a lower angle, the yellow at a larger angle , then the green color , then the blue . so the the white sun light decomposes into spectrum colors like the rainbow.

Just a visual impression; this spectrum appears to be too spread out to be coming from the glass in your window. Is there any glass or reflective objects out in the yard? Or as has been suggested above, maybe a glass ornament, but rather than on the sill, perhaps hanging from the eve, or a branch a few feet away?

Likes OmCheeto and CWatters
If you look out that window you will see a transparent object. That object is wedge shaped and its distance from the door is about 2.8 times the short dimension of the floor tiles. If the photo was taken about 1.5 hours before sunset, the object is probably about 1.8 floor-tiles above the floor, also assuming that there is no obstruction between the object and the window.

Notes: since there were no dimensions given, the floor tiles were used as the 'master yardstick'. using rather simple geometry, the optical distortion of the floor tiles to find the angle between the color rays. knowing the ray angles and the dimensions in units of 'floor tiles', the point of convergence was found to be 4.04 tiles from the start of the rays. subtracting the distance to the door gave the distance to the point of convergence. the height of the prism-like item was estimated from the assumed solar elevation of 22.5° at 1.5 hours before sunset and the distance to the start of the rays.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Imager and pinball1970
Tom.G said:
If you look out that window you will see a transparent object. That object is wedge shaped and its distance from the door is about 2.8 times the short dimension of the floor tiles. If the photo was taken about 1.5 hours before sunset, the object is probably about 1.8 floor-tiles above the floor, also assuming that there is no obstruction between the object and the window.

Notes: since there were no dimensions given, the floor tiles were used as the 'master yardstick'. using rather simple geometry, the optical distortion of the floor tiles to find the angle between the color rays. knowing the ray angles and the dimensions in units of 'floor tiles', the point of convergence was found to be 4.04 tiles from the start of the rays. subtracting the distance to the door gave the distance to the point of convergence. the height of the prism-like item was estimated from the assumed solar elevation of 22.5° at 1.5 hours before sunset and the distance to the start of the rays.

Cheers,
Tom

I am now very curious to see what is outside his window!

Likes Tom.G
Thank you for the replies everyone!

Some more details and pictures:
  • No glass beads. However there is "light dome" which is above our bycicle shed. If you look in a straight line from where the lines originated you do not see the dome. It is slightly to the left (see second picture and sketch).
  • The blinds are plane white blinds with a fine vertical structure going over the entire height of the blind (barely feel the structure when touching).
  • The picture was taken at 12:38, 27th of October (before winter time, 28th of October time was adjusted).
  • I live in Neerpelt area, Belgium.
  • I included a sketch of the situation with some reference measurement (tile).

If any other info is needed feel free to ask.
Even if it is the dome causing this, I would still love to know how to lines became this discrete/high intensity.

Regards

Attachments

• Pic1.PNG
    Pic1.PNG
    94 KB · Views: 588
  • Pic2.PNG
    Pic2.PNG
    123.5 KB · Views: 608
  • Sketch_View_Top.PNG
    Sketch_View_Top.PNG
    5.4 KB · Views: 550
YeeHaa said:
Even if it is the dome causing this, I would still love to know how to lines became this discrete/high intensity.

The lines are most probably caused by the vertical blinds. It would have been a good idea to remove them and see if you get a continuous spectra.
The intensity is relative The light from the external source (whaterver it is) was just brighter than everything else. It wouldn't appear that bright compared to direct sunlight.

Likes pinball1970
I don't have anything to add to the discussion, but those pictures in the OP are very cool! I have never seen anything quite like that. Thanks for sharing them!

Likes FactChecker
I think the dome shape of the skylight cover explains how the light came in during the middle of the day. Apparently, even though the sunlight was coming nearly straight down, somewhere along that curve was a spot with just the right angle to send the light into your window. Was it raining just before you saw this?

A very cool effect. Thanks for the pics!

What I don't understand is this: if a light source (Sun or whatever it is) is refracted from matter, it comes out at an angle different from zero, even if the incoming beams were parallel. Then, how can the colured beams in the OP's photo be so parallel and not diverge at all?

--
lightarrow

lightarrow said:
What I don't understand is this: if a light source (Sun or whatever it is) is refracted from matter, it comes out at an angle different from zero, even if the incoming beams were parallel. Then, how can the colured beams in the OP's photo be so parallel and not diverge at all?

--
lightarrow
Odd, I see them a CLEARLY not parallel.

As Tom mentioned in Post #6, th lines are not exactly parallel. That is how he calculated a point of origin.

phinds said:
I mean, *every* single beam doesn't seem to diverge appreciably, it seems a laser beam.

--
lightarrow

Tom.G said:
...using rather simple geometry...

Do not ever let me know where you live, as I will find you, and I will kill you...

follow.the.lines.png
My answer is: The source is somewhere between what you said, and infinity.

LURCH said:
Just a visual impression; this spectrum appears to be too spread out to be coming from the glass in your window.
I think it was the spacing of the colors that didn't seem right to me, based on my observations.

Attachments

• follow.the.lines.png
    follow.the.lines.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 967
Likes Tom.G
phinds said:
That's mostly because of the wide-angle camera lens.
If you assume that the floor tiles are rectangles, from the OPs photo you can measure the spacing between the Red and Green light beams as a percentage of the tile size (tile width in the photos). Do this for the near edge and the far edge of a tile. This essentially gives you the divergence (relative horizontal 'slope') of the light beams across the tile.

lightarrow said:
I mean, *every* single beam doesn't seem to diverge appreciably, it seems a laser beam.
The spacing of the individual lines of color was because the continuous spectrum was blocked by the vertical window blinds. The angle of the blinds was such that there was visually enough space between them to let slivers of light thru. Or to put it another way, the space between the blinds acted as slits for the spectrum to get thru and shine on the floor. The individual beams did not disperse much because the source of light, the 'light dome', was much further away than the slits in the blinds. (Besides any beam divergence is difficult to spot because of the wide-angle camera lens.)

OmCheeto said:
Do not ever let me know where you live, as I will find you, and...
Aww, I'd rather be friends (or frenemys if you insist :biggrin:)

Cheers,
Tom

Likes OmCheeto
What is it that makes you think it was a "wide angle" camera lens? Seems like very normal pics to me.

Likes OmCheeto
phinds said:
What is it that makes you think it was a "wide angle" camera lens? Seems like very normal pics to me.
Quite a few comments since I last looked.Consensus is :Light Source (sun), prism like object, dispersion, then the blinds prevent all the colours coming through hence the dark bands?The blinds also have a mirror effect “straightening” out the angles as it were projecting the remaining colours on to the floor? Is that possible?Those rays do look straight and the blinds seem uniform angle wise.I also would like to see what the dispersion object is, you can get this with objects other than a prism apparently but not as pronounced (quick google)

Tom.G said:
Aww, I'd rather be friends (or frenemys if you insist :biggrin:)
I was just amazed at how quickly you solved that.
It took me a week to solve a similar* problem, back in April.

----------
*Similar, as in, basic geometry, that is.
Dreading spending another week working through this one...

ps. Fun problem! Thanks, @YeeHaa !

Tom.G said:
. . .
The individual beams did not disperse much because the source of light, the 'light dome', was much further away than the slits in the blinds. (Besides any beam divergence is difficult to spot because of the wide-angle camera lens.)
The dispersing object doesn't seem to me so much further away, based on the OP' sketch in post #8; maybe such dispersing object also focuses light a little, acting as converging lens.
Edit: Think of a prism the second face of which is not plane but convex: the different colour beams, already separated inside the main part of the prisms, are focalized in the last part and when they come out of the object they are less diverging one to the other and even every one of them it is.
--
lightarrow

Last edited:
lightarrow said:
maybe such dispersing object also focuses light a little, acting as converging lens.

well it can't do that as the dome is convex in shape as far as the light source
is concerned, so it cannot produce convergence

The lines resemble projected laser lines.

Likes OmCheeto
phinds said:
I was using the the first of the OPs photos, the one that shows where the rays start. Perhaps it was just the closeup perspective that gave that floor tile such an odd shape. Would you accept 'distortion' as better word choice?

upload_2018-10-31_20-24-22.png

Cheers,
Tom

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-31_20-24-22.png
    upload_2018-10-31_20-24-22.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 705
Tom.G said:
I was using the the first of the OPs photos, the one that shows where the rays start. Perhaps it was just the closeup perspective that gave that floor tile such an odd shape. Would you accept 'distortion' as better word choice?
Well, I guess if that's what you see. I'm just not seeing it. Looks normal to me.

Likes OmCheeto
davenn said:
well it can't do that as the dome is convex in shape as far as the light source
is concerned, so it cannot produce convergence
Don't understand this, can you expand? Doesn't a convex lens focuses light beams? My interpretation is the following. Let's outline the convex dome as a (thin) convex-plane lens, a prism and a (thin) plane-convex lens: the first lens just deviate a white beam; the prism deviate and disperse it in all the colours, each deviated (refracted) with a different angle; the last lens reduces the divergence of the beams of different colours, making them more parallel.
It's not so?

--
lightarrow

Last edited:
lightarrow said:
Doesn't a convex lens focuses light beams?
yes, but when the light is going through the lens. in the OP's case the light is being refracted/reflected off the surface of a curved dome that is not a lens

Likes OmCheeto
davenn said:
yes, but when the light is going through the lens. in the OP's case the light is being refracted/reflected off the surface of a curved dome that is not a lens
Can you make a simple drawing of the light's beam optical path in the dome? (it's likely I haven't understood it). Later with more time I'll post my idea of it.
Thanks.
--
lightarrow

Fascinating !

MIL's Siamese kitten used to chase the dancing multicoloured twinkles from their 'garden room' sun-catcher, was much more fun than day-time TV...

OT: Very, very late one evening, I glanced out of our kitchen window, was astonished to see the Full Moon, enlarged but *almost square*...

Took me a few moments to realize this bizarre apparition was below the roof-line of neighbour's darkened house. I was seeing the reflection in an upstairs double-glazed window which must have been slightly dished...

Sadly, by the time I thought to grab a camera, clouds had rolled in...
;-((

As far as I can tell, those lines are indistinguishable from parallel, so the source was not close. This suggests that sunlight was being temporarily redirected and refracted through some distant object, perhaps across the road, producing a continuous spectrum, which was split into lines by the blind. Of course, looking through the blind from low down would have revealed the source.

Jonathan Scott said:
As far as I can tell, those lines are indistinguishable from parallel, so the source was not close. This suggests that sunlight was being temporarily redirected and refracted through some distant object, perhaps across the road, producing a continuous spectrum, which was split into lines by the blind. Of course, looking through the blind from low down would have revealed the source.
I don't think the rays are from refraction. One thing I missed up until now, is that the OP said:

YeeHaa said:

Which is indeed true:

images.1.and.2.png

I was working with image #2, and completely ignored image #1.
The spacing of the colors, along with the anomalous white ray(s, and pinkish one that I didn't include), indicates to me that the rays are not the product of refraction, nor diffraction, but could only be the result of light reflecting off of a multicolored surface.

ps. I suspect the entire problem is photo-shopped*, but given that this is a delightful test of math skills, I really don't mind.

*The orange line is a bit too "crisp", IMHO.

Attachments

• images.1.and.2.png
    images.1.and.2.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 883
Likes nasu
Jonathan Scott said:
Of course, looking through the blind from low down would have revealed the source.

The location of the source could also be identified with another picture taken from the same position as the first one but with the window open.

Is it repeatable? If yes:

What happens if you cover the dome?
As asked already: What happens if you open the blinds more?
Can you put an object close to the blinds to see where its shadow appears? This gives an estimate for the vertical angle of the light.

Likes DennisN and Spinnor
OmCheeto said:
I don't think the rays are from refraction. One thing I missed up until now, is that the OP said:View attachment 233320

I was working with image #2, and completely ignored image #1.
The spacing of the colors, along with the anomalous white ray(s, and pinkish one that I didn't include), indicates to me that the rays are not the product of refraction, nor diffraction, but could only be the result of light reflecting off of a multicolored surface.

This image says to me that the beams are arriving at different vertical angles, that there is refraction happening in both the horizontal and vertical planes.

I love this entire discussion and think it would make a good exercise for a physics class.

Man! That is one cool effect!