How does mass influence energy transfer?

In summary, mass influences energy transfer in a stair climbing lab by affecting the potential and kinetic energy of the student and the transfer of kinetic energy to the Earth through momentum conservation. The heavier the student, the more energy is transferred.
elderj
Summary:: How does mass influence energy transfer?

Can someone help me with this question?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
elderj said:
Summary:: How does mass influence energy transfer?

Thanks!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

There are obvious answers, like a light plastic cup dropped on a tile floor usually will not break, while a wine glass will. But I'm sure you know that. And a bowling ball dropped on the tile floor will transfer a lot more energy in the collision with the floor compared to a light ball.

But you probably have some other question in mind. Could you please try to say more? Also, it looks like you might work in the education field (using my Mentor superpowers) -- are you a teacher working on a lesson? :smile:

Likes FactChecker
elderj said:
No. It's too vague. Be much more specific for a scenario you are asking about.

EDIT: I see Berkeman has faster fingers than I do.

Likes elderj and Vanadium 50
phinds said:
No. It's too vague. Be much more specific for a scenario you are asking about.
Okay, okay, you're so strict! I should have asked which grade levels she teaches. There, you happy now?!

• Haha
Likes elderj and phinds
For instance, are you asking about a collision of moving objects? Or about the heat transfer between stationary objects in contact? Or about some other scenario?

Likes elderj and berkeman
Hi everyone and thank you for your time!
I am a high school teacher who just conducted a stair climbing physics lab in our energy unit.

Students compared their work generated walking vs running. They did this for power as well. They saw a difference in walking vs running in terms of POWER generated.

A thought question was suggested in our curriculum guide for me 2 ask. That question is does mass influence energy transfer in this stair walking lab?

Energy is the potential to do work. Work is force times distance. Both are measured in the same units (jouls). Work can be considered as the transfer of energy.
So a heavier person climbing stairs for the same distance is doing more work. His increase in work is proportional to his increased weight. The speed (walk versus run) does not matter.

What energy transferred to what?

For example, a very heavy out-of-shape person is going to generate more heat climbing stairs than a skinny person but I have NO idea what you have in mind. Please be more specific in your question.

DAMMIT ! Beat to the punch again. Guess I'm slowing down in my old age :smile:

• Haha
Likes berkeman and FactChecker
phinds said:
What energy transferred to what?
A good question, especially for this stair climbing example. The chemical(?) energy of the muscles is just being changed into the potential energy of the body going higher on the stairs. So there is no energy transfer out of the person.

FactChecker said:
A good question, especially for this stair climbing example. The chemical(?) energy of the muscles is just being changed into the potential energy of the body going higher on the stairs. So there is no energy transfer out of the person.
Well, there WILL be some loss of radiated heat.

Likes FactChecker
phinds said:
Well, there WILL be some loss of radiated heat.
Good point.

A thought question was suggested in our curriculum guide for me 2 to ask. That question is does mass influence energy transfer in this stair walking lab?

During the exercise - assumedly a student climbing up stairs - in what form is the energy at the beginning, and what form at the end.

I agree with @FactChecker that some portion of biochemical energy is converted into mechanical (potential) energy. That's not all. Another portion of the biochemical energy spent by the student is converted to kinetic energy of the student. Of course this does not count as energy transfer out of the system, in this case the student, as @FactChecker already indicated.

But wait ##\dots## there is more! Momentum conservation requires that the stairs and the Earth recoil as the student climbs the stairs which means that yet another part of biochemical energy is transferred to the Earth as kinetic energy of the recoil. Admittedly this kinetic energy is much much smaller than the kinetic energy of the student, by a factor ##\frac{m_{student}}{M_{Earth}}##. It may be negligible but it is not zero. In fact, I think this is a prime example illustrating "how mass influences energy transfer." If the student were to push against an object less massive than the Earth, say walk on a platform on wheels, the energy transfer to the platform would be much more noticeable.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
Thank you everyone for helping me. This has helped a lot!

Related to How does mass influence energy transfer?

1. How does mass affect the amount of energy transferred?

The mass of an object directly affects the amount of energy it can transfer. The more massive an object is, the more energy it can store and transfer. This is because mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, and matter is made up of particles that can hold and transfer energy.

2. Does the type of mass matter in energy transfer?

Yes, the type of mass does matter in energy transfer. Different materials have different properties and structures, which can affect how they store and transfer energy. For example, a solid object may transfer energy differently than a liquid or gas due to the arrangement of its particles.

3. How does mass influence the speed of energy transfer?

The mass of an object can impact the speed of energy transfer. In general, larger objects with more mass will transfer energy at a slower rate compared to smaller objects with less mass. This is because larger objects have more particles to transfer energy through, which can slow down the transfer process.

4. Can mass affect the direction of energy transfer?

Yes, mass can affect the direction of energy transfer. This is because the mass of an object can determine how it responds to different forms of energy. For example, a heavy object may absorb more heat energy than a lighter object, causing it to transfer energy in a different direction.

5. How does mass influence the efficiency of energy transfer?

The mass of an object can impact the efficiency of energy transfer. Generally, larger objects with more mass will have a lower efficiency in energy transfer compared to smaller objects with less mass. This is because larger objects require more energy to move and transfer, resulting in some energy being lost in the transfer process.