How Does Modifying Numerator and Denominator Affect the Value of a Fraction?

• MHB
  • Thread starter emon2001
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving a system of equations and finding the value of $\frac{x}{y}$. The given equations are $\frac{x+1}{y+1}=\frac{2}{3}$ and $\frac{x-1}{y-1}=\frac{1}{2}$. By manipulating the equations, we get the equations 3x-2y=-1 and 2x-y=1. The solution involves finding values of x and y that satisfy both equations.
emon2001
Hello, I am recently suffering from a math question that even my teacher can not answer. Please have a look at the image( sorry for low resolution ) . Here you can see the result of the equation is 3x - 2y = -1 . I don't know what is the rules here. Please somebody explain this to me how this work. Thanks for reading this.

Attachments

• fraction.jpg
    fraction.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 60
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi emon2001, welcome to MHB!

I don't quite understand what you wanted us to do. Do you mean to ask for the value for $\dfrac{x}{y}$, given the system of equations?

There is NO question here!

We are given a fraction, $\frac{x}{y}$.

Apparently we are told that if we add 1 to both numerator and denominator we get $\frac{2}{3}$. That is, $\frac{x+1}{y+ 1}= \frac{2}{3}$. Multiplying both sides by 3(y+ 1) gives 3(x+ 1)= 2(y+ 1) so 3x+ 3= 2y+ 2. Subtract 2y+ 3 from both sides to get 3x- 2y= -1.

We are also told that if we subtract 1 from both numerator and denominator we get $\frac{1}{2}$. That is, $\frac{x- 1}{y- 1}= \frac{1}{2}$. Multiplying both sides by 2(y-1) gives 2(x- 1)= y- 1 so 2x- 2= y- 1. Subtract y and add 2 to both sides to get 2x- y= 1.

We now have the two equations 3x- 2y= -1 and 2x- y= 1 and, I presume, want to find values of x and y that satisfy both equations. From the second equation y= 2x- 1. Replace y in 3x- 2y= -1 by that to get an equation in x only and solve that equation for x. Then use y= 2x- 1 with that value of x to find y.

Last edited:

Related to How Does Modifying Numerator and Denominator Affect the Value of a Fraction?

1. What does this equation represent?

This equation represents a mathematical relationship between different variables or quantities. It can be used to solve problems or make predictions in a specific field of study.

2. How do I interpret the symbols and numbers in this equation?

The symbols and numbers in an equation have specific meanings and units. It is important to understand the context of the equation and the units of each variable in order to correctly interpret its meaning.

3. Can you explain the steps to solve this equation?

Solving an equation involves following a set of rules and operations to manipulate the given information and find the value of the unknown variable. The specific steps may vary depending on the type of equation and its complexity.

4. How can I use this equation in my research or experiments?

Equations are used in scientific research and experiments to model and understand natural phenomena, make predictions, and test hypotheses. It is important to have a solid understanding of the equation and its limitations before using it in your work.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with equations include incorrect interpretation of symbols and units, forgetting to follow the correct order of operations, and making calculation errors. It is also important to double-check the equation and its assumptions to ensure accurate results.