John's Question: Finding Range of Rational Function

In summary, to find the range of a rational function, we simplify the function by factoring and canceling any common factors, set the denominator equal to zero and solve for the variable, and test values from each interval created by the excluded values to determine the range. The range of a rational function can include negative numbers and can even be infinite if there are no excluded values. The difference between the domain and range is that the domain is the set of possible inputs while the range is the set of possible outputs. However, there are restrictions when finding the range such as excluding values that make the denominator zero and considering any vertical asymptotes.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Find the range of (x^2-6x+9)/(2x-8).?

Hello. I was given this in an assignment recently. When my teacher handed out the answer sheet after he had marked the assignments. I was puzzled to find that he had found the range using the discriminant of the quadratic formula. I will denote Lambda as Y since i don't have a lambda button. Here is the working:

Y=(x^2-6x+9)/(2x-8)
Y(2x-8)=(x^2-6x+9)
X^2+(-2Y-6)x+9+8Y=0

(-2Y-6)^2-4(9+8Y) ≥0
and then through working eventually arrived at:
Y≤ 0 or Y ≥ 2.
I really don't get how he used this to find the range or how he got ≤ and ≥ in the final result. Please help I have a test coming up soon and this is the only thing I don't understand.

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello John,

We are given to find the range of:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{x^2-6x+9}{2x-8}\)

If we multiply through by $2x-8$, we have:

\(\displaystyle y(2x-8)=x^2-6x+9\)

Arranging in standard quadratic form, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle x^2-2(3+y)+(9+8y)=0\)

Now, in order for this equation to have real roots, we require the discriminant to be non-negative, hence:

\(\displaystyle (-2(3+y))^2-4(1)(9+8y)\ge0\)

Expanding, distributing and collecting like terms, we have:

\(\displaystyle 4(3+y)^2-4(9+8y)\ge0\)

\(\displaystyle \left(9+6y+y^2 \right)-(9+8y)\ge0\)

\(\displaystyle 9+6y+y^2-9-8y)\ge0\)

\(\displaystyle y^2-2y=y(y-2)\ge0\)

Since this is an upward opening parabola with roots at $y=0,2$, we know it is negative on $(0,2)$, and so it is non-negative on:

\(\displaystyle (-\infty,0]\,\cup\,[2,\infty)\)

And thus, this is the range of the original function.

Related to John's Question: Finding Range of Rational Function

1. How do you find the range of a rational function?

To find the range of a rational function, we first simplify the function by factoring and canceling any common factors in the numerator and denominator. Then, we set the denominator equal to zero and solve for the variable. The values obtained from solving for the variable will be excluded from the range. Finally, we test values from each interval created by the excluded values to determine the range.

2. Can the range of a rational function be negative?

Yes, the range of a rational function can be negative. The range of a rational function can include any real number, including negative numbers. It all depends on the domain of the function and the values that are excluded from the range due to the denominator being equal to zero.

3. What is the difference between the domain and range of a rational function?

The domain of a rational function is the set of all possible values for the independent variable (usually denoted as x). The range, on the other hand, is the set of all possible values for the dependent variable (usually denoted as y). In simpler terms, the domain is the set of inputs and the range is the set of outputs for a rational function.

4. Can a rational function have an infinite range?

Yes, a rational function can have an infinite range. This occurs when there are no excluded values from the range due to the denominator being equal to zero. In this case, the range would be all real numbers.

5. Are there any restrictions when finding the range of a rational function?

Yes, there are restrictions when finding the range of a rational function. We must ensure that we do not divide by zero, so we need to exclude any values from the domain that would make the denominator equal to zero. Additionally, we must also consider any vertical asymptotes as these values cannot be included in the range.