How Does Nonconservative Work Affect a Child's Speed on a Slide?

• Thread starter dndisilvio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: To find the child's speed at the bottom of the slide, you can use the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In summary, the child's speed at the bottom of the slide can be found by using the work-energy theorem and taking into account the nonconservative work done by the slide.
dndisilvio
The question I have difficulty with is:
At a playground, a 19 child plays on a slide that drops through a height of 2.5 . The child starts at rest at the top of the slide. On the way down, the slide does a nonconservative work of -366 on the child. What is the child's speed at the bottom of the slide?

I know how to do the problem... The only thing that is throwing me off is the "nonconservative force." Can someone explain what that is and how to utilize it? Do I just subtract that from the total work done? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
dndisilvio said:
The question I have difficulty with is:
At a playground, a 19 child plays on a slide that drops through a height of 2.5 . The child starts at rest at the top of the slide. On the way down, the slide does a nonconservative work of -366 on the child. What is the child's speed at the bottom of the slide?

I know how to do the problem... The only thing that is throwing me off is the "nonconservative force." Can someone explain what that is and how to utilize it? Do I just subtract that from the total work done? thanks!

"Nonconservative work" is work that results unrecoverable energy loss from the system. In this case it would likely be energy lost as heat due to friction.

Related to How Does Nonconservative Work Affect a Child's Speed on a Slide?

What is a nonconservative force?

A nonconservative force is a type of force that does not conserve mechanical energy. This means that the work done by the force is dependent on the path taken by the object, rather than just its initial and final positions.

What are some examples of nonconservative forces?

Examples of nonconservative forces include friction, air resistance, and drag. These forces act in a direction opposite to the motion of an object and cause a decrease in mechanical energy.

How do nonconservative forces affect the motion of an object?

Nonconservative forces can cause a change in the velocity and direction of an object's motion. This is because they dissipate energy and can cause an object to slow down or change direction.

Can nonconservative forces do work?

Yes, nonconservative forces can do work. However, this work is not conserved and is dependent on the path taken by the object. This means that the work done by a nonconservative force is not equal to the change in mechanical energy of the system.

How do nonconservative forces differ from conservative forces?

Conservative forces are those that do not dissipate energy and conserve mechanical energy. This means that the work done by a conservative force is equal to the change in mechanical energy of the system. Nonconservative forces, on the other hand, do dissipate energy and their work is dependent on the path taken by the object.