How does physics relate to water pollution?

In summary, physics plays a crucial role in understanding and addressing water pollution. It involves studying various factors such as the movement of ocean currents, sedimentation, tides, and the laws of D’Arcy and Fick. Other sciences, such as organic and inorganic chemistry, and fluid dynamics, may also be involved in this field. However, understanding the physics aspect is crucial in tackling water pollution effectively. In addition, the use of advanced instrumentation and on-site testing is essential in monitoring and measuring dissolved oxygen and temperature levels in bodies of water.
flutterfly
How does physics relate to water pollution?

Would this include the movement of ocean currents or sedimentation in water?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure.

Any other ideas?

Um ok, can you explain further then?

It's your homework, you need to do the explaining.

What kind of sciences might be involved? Organic chemistry? Inorganic chemistry? Fluid dynamics?

well I'm supposed to be looking strictly at the physics aspect...that's where I'm confused.

would tides somehow affect water pollution?

flutterfly said:
would tides somehow affect water pollution?

I'm sure that somehow, somewhere, the tides are affecting water pollution.

Do a search on the following

Marine mass transport
Ocean flushing times
Coastal erosion
D'Arcy's Law
Fick's Law

Last edited:
Many years ago,as a student I spent six months working in the water pollution research laboratory here in the UK.The place was dominated by biologists and chemists but there was a small physics department where I worked.At that time the main work of the department was to develop,install and on site test new instrumentation primarily to measure and record dissolved oxygen and temperature levels.On average I was on site for half the week either by the sea or a river or a sewerage works.A wonderful job.

Last edited:

1. How does physics play a role in water pollution?

Physics plays a crucial role in understanding and addressing water pollution. It helps us analyze the flow of water, the movement of pollutants, and the behavior of various pollutants in different water bodies.

2. Can physics help prevent water pollution?

Yes, physics can help prevent water pollution by providing us with tools and techniques to measure and monitor water quality, identify sources of pollution, and develop strategies to reduce or eliminate pollutants from entering water bodies.

3. What are some physical processes that lead to water pollution?

Physical processes such as erosion, sedimentation, and transport can lead to water pollution. For example, erosion can cause soil and sediment to enter water bodies, carrying pollutants with it. Similarly, transport processes like runoff and groundwater flow can transport pollutants to water bodies.

4. How do we use physics to clean up polluted water?

Physics is used in various water treatment processes to clean up polluted water. For instance, physical processes like sedimentation, filtration, and adsorption are used to remove pollutants from water. Additionally, advanced physical techniques like ultraviolet radiation and membrane filtration can also be employed to treat polluted water.

5. How does the study of fluid dynamics help us understand and address water pollution?

Fluid dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and movement of fluids, including water. By understanding fluid dynamics, we can better understand how pollutants move and spread in water bodies, and develop strategies to contain and reduce their impact. This knowledge is also crucial in designing effective water treatment systems to remove pollutants from water.