Newbie Physics Student Asks: Does Vapor to Ice Change Acceleration/Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of momentum and energy in a phase shift from water vapor to ice in space. It is noted that momentum is always conserved in an isolated system, but energy transfers can affect this. The concept of rest mass and relativity is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a discussion on the blurred line between macroscopic and microscopic calculations in thermodynamics.
Limebat
*My bad if this question is a tad ree ree. I've just completed my first year of college and am still inexperienced. I just study physics for fun.*

My intuition says the momentum of the water vapor is still conserved during the phase shift, as this question most probably relates to the macroscopic level, so any intermolecular interactions would probably not be affected by microstate tendencies.

I was initially thinking of examining the phase shift between vapor to ice and calculating Gibb's free energy. Energy and work can then be related. But I don't think those terms would apply to a macroscopic scale, as those are microscopic qualities.

Yet I also believe if the water molecules are sufficiently spaced, then the line between macroscopic and microscopic calculations are blurred. Or perhaps not. Not sure actually.

Regardless, the question boils down (pun intended) to:
If water (g) --> (s) in space, does acceleration and velocity change?

* If molecules vibrate faster does that mean macroscopically its faster*
*I also asked on Quora, but the quality of answers are mixed, so I wanted to ask here for a second opinion just incase. Did meet some amazing and helpful people there though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Limebat said:
*My bad if this question is a tad ree ree. I've just completed my first year of college and am still inexperienced. I just study physics for fun.*

My intuition says the momentum of the water vapor is still conserved during the phase shift, as this question most probably relates to the macroscopic level, so any intermolecular interactions would probably not be affected by microstate tendencies.

I was initially thinking of examining the phase shift between vapor to ice and calculating Gibb's free energy. Energy and work can then be related. But I don't think those terms would apply to a macroscopic scale, as those are microscopic qualities.

Yet I also believe if the water molecules are sufficiently spaced, then the line between macroscopic and microscopic calculations are blurred. Or perhaps not. Not sure actually.

Regardless, the question boils down (pun intended) to:
If water (g) --> (s) in space, does acceleration and velocity change?

* If molecules vibrate faster does that mean macroscopically its faster*
*I also asked on Quora, but the quality of answers are mixed, so I wanted to ask here for a second opinion just incase. Did meet some amazing and helpful people there though!
Momentum is conserved in an isolated system, always. That's a pretty deep and inescapable fact arising from Noether's theorem.

Obviously, if you want momentum conservation to hold, you have to avoid external forces. Even more obviously, you want to avoid adding or removing mass from the system.

It gets a little trickier when considering energy transfers. When you start supplying or draining energy, you need to be careful that the energy transfer does not also transfer momentum. As long as we confine ourselves to classical mechanics, this is not much of an issue. One can shine a floodlight on an ice cube and not worry about any momentum transfer. Or one can run some electrical current through it as long as the wires are kept suitably slack.

If one considers relativity however, the addition of energy without an addition of momentum in the system's rest frame ends up adding rest mass. But if you've increased rest mass, you've increased the momentum of the system in frames where the system was not at rest. So if one is considering relativity, one needs to eliminate energy transfers to or from the outside.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur, russ_watters and Limebat
jbriggs444 said:
If one considers relativity however, the addition of energy without an addition of momentum in the system's rest frame ends up adding rest mass. But if you've increased rest mass, you've increased the momentum of the system in frames where the system was not at rest. So if one is considering relativity, one needs to eliminate energy transfers to or from the outside.
Ah that's cool! I didn't think about that. I know I posted this question in classical physics, but can you elaborate / point to resources of looking at rest mass and momentum with relativity? (See quoted)

Limebat said:
If you have enough of the molecules in your experiment then they can be treated in a thermodynamic way (i.e. statistically). If they are all in a container and you accelerate the container, there will be a different pressure on the front and back inner walls of the box. But the 'thermal energy' inside the box will not be affected. There will be a pressure gradient across the box but the mean velocity of all the molecules will correspond to the velocity of the box,

Likes Limebat
sophiecentaur said:
If you have enough of the molecules in your experiment then they can be treated in a thermodynamic way (i.e. statistically). If they are all in a container and you accelerate the container, there will be a different pressure on the front and back inner walls of the box. But the 'thermal energy' inside the box will not be affected. There will be a pressure gradient across the box but the mean velocity of all the molecules will correspond to the velocity of the box,
Thank you very much! I didn't think about it that way

1. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Velocity, on the other hand, is the rate of change of displacement over time. It is also a vector quantity.

2. Does vapor turning into ice affect acceleration or velocity?

No, the phase change from vapor to ice does not affect acceleration or velocity. This is because acceleration and velocity are dependent on the mass and velocity of an object, not its state of matter.

3. How does temperature affect acceleration and velocity?

Temperature can affect acceleration and velocity indirectly by changing the density of a substance. For example, as temperature increases, the density of air decreases, which can affect the acceleration and velocity of objects moving through the air.

4. Can a change in state of matter affect the acceleration or velocity of an object?

No, a change in state of matter does not directly affect the acceleration or velocity of an object. However, it can indirectly affect these quantities through changes in density or other physical properties.

5. Is there a difference in acceleration or velocity between different states of matter?

No, acceleration and velocity are independent of the state of matter. They are determined by the mass and velocity of an object, which remain constant regardless of the state of matter.