How Does Self-Absorption Affect Intensity in a Spherical Gamma-Ray Source?

In summary, the conversation is about a bonus question in a homework assignment regarding a gamma-ray source in the shape of a homogeneous sphere with a temperature distribution. The question asks for the factor by which the intensity is reduced due to self-absorption, expressed as a function of the source radius and temperature. The conversation also mentions the use of the ring method and the thermal expansion's effect on electron density. The final part discusses the specific example of a 198-Au source with a radius of 0.15 cm and a temperature change of 1000°C with a linear coefficient of expansion of 17 x 10-6 per °C.
physfan01
Encountered the following bonus question in a hwk assignment and neither myself nor my other class-mates have a clue on how to approach it. Or, if someone has ran across this or a similar problem in a text or online, please point me in that direction.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Given: A gamma-ray source in the shape of a homogeneous sphere of radius R, throughout which there is a homogeneous temperature distribution.

a. Calculate the factor by which the intensity is reduced through self-absorption. Express this as a function of:

1) source radius &
2) source temperature

b. What is the magnitude of these reductions in the case of a 198-Au source (μ = 2.9 cm-1) of radius R = 0.15 cm when the temperature is changed by ΔT = 1000°C (linear coefficient of expansion α = 17 x 10-6 per °C).

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd suggest the ring method, but IIRC it will be a complicated integral. I think I did a similar problem about 25+ years ago.

The intensity is simply a function of distance d and the radius, r which will determine the attenuation.

The thermal expansion will simply change the electron density, but I don't think by much.

ΔT = 1000°C (linear coefficient of expansion α = 17 x 10-6 per °C) means a difference of about 2% based on 1000 * 17 x 10-6 = 0.017

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with this specific problem and cannot provide a direct solution. However, I can offer some general guidance and suggest some resources that may be helpful in finding a solution.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of self-absorption in a gamma-ray source. Self-absorption occurs when gamma-ray photons emitted from the source are absorbed by the material of the source itself, leading to a decrease in the intensity of the emitted radiation. This phenomenon is dependent on the material properties of the source, such as its density and atomic number, as well as its size and temperature.

To approach this problem, you can start by looking at the equations and concepts related to self-absorption in a homogeneous sphere. One important equation to consider is the Beer-Lambert law, which describes the relationship between the intensity of radiation and the material properties of the source. You can also look into the concept of mass attenuation coefficient, which takes into account the material properties of the source as well as the energy of the gamma-ray photons.

In terms of resources, you can refer to textbooks or online sources that cover the topic of gamma-ray sources and self-absorption. Some recommended textbooks include "Introduction to Nuclear Engineering" by John R. Lamarsh and "Radiation Detection and Measurement" by Glenn F. Knoll. You can also search for online lectures or tutorials on this topic.

Additionally, you can try breaking down the problem into smaller parts and solving them individually, using the relevant equations and concepts. This may help in understanding the problem and finding a solution.

I hope this helps and good luck with your assignment!

Related to How Does Self-Absorption Affect Intensity in a Spherical Gamma-Ray Source?

1. What is a spherical gamma-ray source?

A spherical gamma-ray source is a type of astronomical object that emits high-energy gamma rays in all directions from its center. It can be either a single object or a collection of multiple objects, such as a cluster of stars or a galaxy.

2. How is a spherical gamma-ray source formed?

The most common way that spherical gamma-ray sources are formed is through the interactions of high-energy particles, such as cosmic rays, with matter in the source. This can produce gamma rays through processes like synchrotron radiation or inverse Compton scattering.

3. What can we learn from studying spherical gamma-ray sources?

Studying spherical gamma-ray sources can provide valuable information about the high-energy processes and particles present in our universe. These sources can also serve as probes for understanding the structure and evolution of galaxies and other large-scale structures.

4. How are spherical gamma-ray sources detected?

Spherical gamma-ray sources are typically detected using specialized instruments, such as gamma-ray telescopes or detectors on satellites. These instruments are able to detect the high-energy gamma rays emitted by the source and map out its properties.

5. Are there any known spherical gamma-ray sources in our galaxy?

Yes, there are several known spherical gamma-ray sources in our galaxy, including the Crab Nebula, the Vela pulsar, and the Cygnus Loop supernova remnant. These sources are important for understanding the high-energy processes that occur within our own Milky Way galaxy.