How does the differential form of Faraday's law relate to induced current?

In summary, the differential form of Faradays law for Maxwells equations is curl E = -∂B/∂t. This law states that a changing magnetic field (right term) will induce a current.
PhysicsInNJ

Homework Statement

I'm in a class where we have to essentially learn E&M ourselves and I'm challenged by Maxwells equations. I'm studying out of Purcell's E&M.

The differential form of Faradays law for Maxwells equations is curl E = -∂B/∂t

Im having trouble interpreting what to make of this. I know that the law is supposed to state that a changing magnetic field (right term) will induce a current. How does curlE represent current? I know that curl is a way of determining how much a vector field rotates but can't seem to merge this with the idea of induced current.

Physics news on Phys.org
The way that helped me to visualize things is the following. Imagine the vector field as a flow pattern in a fluid, with the arrows representing the flow of the fluid.

(1) For [itex] \nabla \cdot E[/itex], imagine a small volume at each point in the vector field. [itex] \nabla \cdot E[/itex] measures how much of the flow enters or leaves the small volume. If [itex] \nabla \cdot E = 0[/itex], it means that the same amount of flow that enters the volume leaves. This also means that the flow lines form closed curves, never starting or ending anywhere. Regions where the flow lines terminate are regions of non-zero [itex] \nabla \cdot E[/itex].

(1) For [itex] \nabla \times E[/itex], imagine a small paddle wheel at each point in the vector field. [itex] \nabla \times E[/itex] tells you how much the paddle wheel will turn. The magnitude of [itex] \nabla \times E[/itex] tells you how fast it will turn, and the direction tells you the axis of rotation.

For EM, [itex] \nabla \times E[/itex] having a non-zero value means that the current is flowing around in a loop.

PhysicsInNJ said:
How does curl E represent current?
Faraday's law says a changing magnetic field induces an electric field. The E field can cause charges to move, giving rise to a current, but if there are no charges around, there's no current.

phyzguy said:
The way that helped me to visualize things is the following. Imagine the vector field as a flow pattern in a fluid, with the arrows representing the flow of the fluid.

(1) For [itex] \nabla \cdot E[/itex], imagine a small volume at each point in the vector field. [itex] \nabla \cdot E[/itex] measures how much of the flow enters or leaves the small volume. If [itex] \nabla \cdot E = 0[/itex], it means that the same amount of flow that enters the volume leaves. This also means that the flow lines form closed curves, never starting or ending anywhere. Regions where the flow lines terminate are regions of non-zero [itex] \nabla \cdot E[/itex].

(1) For [itex] \nabla \times E[/itex], imagine a small paddle wheel at each point in the vector field. [itex] \nabla \times E[/itex] tells you how much the paddle wheel will turn. The magnitude of [itex] \nabla \times E[/itex] tells you how fast it will turn, and the direction tells you the axis of rotation.

For EM, [itex] \nabla \times E[/itex] having a non-zero value means that the current is flowing around in a loop.

I see. Then I would ask, is the rotation an artifact of using a wire in a loop and thus it can only travel in that way, or is it more fundamental than that?

PhysicsInNJ said:
I see. Then I would ask, is the rotation an artifact of using a wire in a loop and thus it can only travel in that way, or is it more fundamental than that?

No, it's more fundamental than that. I'm sorry if my earlier post implied the necessity of a wire or an actual current flow. Around any loop, the line integral of E around the loop is equal to the minus rate of change of the flux of B through the loop. It does not matter whether there is a physical wire present or not, and it does not matter if any current is flowing or not.

phyzguy said:
No, it's more fundamental than that. I'm sorry if my earlier post implied the necessity of a wire or an actual current flow. Around any loop, the line integral of E around the loop is equal to the minus rate of change of the flux of B through the loop. It does not matter whether there is a physical wire present or not, and it does not matter if any current is flowing or not.
Ok, just wanted to make sure. thank you!

What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction is a fundamental law of electromagnetism, discovered by Michael Faraday in the 1830s. It states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor.

How does Faraday's Law of Induction work?

According to Faraday's Law, when a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, the magnetic field lines will cut through the conductor and create an electric current. This current only exists as long as the magnetic field is changing.

What is the importance of Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction is important because it explains the relationship between electricity and magnetism, and how they can be used to generate electricity. This law is the basis for electromagnetic induction, which is used in generators, transformers, and many other devices.

What factors affect the magnitude of the induced current?

The magnitude of the induced current is affected by the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, the strength of the magnetic field, and the orientation of the conductor relative to the magnetic field.

What are some real-world applications of Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction has many practical applications, including generators, transformers, and induction motors. It is also used in devices such as electric guitars and microphones. Induction is also used in wireless charging and electromagnetic braking systems in trains and roller coasters.