How Does the Dirac Conjugation Operator Affect Majorana Neutrino Mass Terms?

In summary, the Majorana mass term for neutrinos in books is represented by m_L \nu_L^T C^\dagger \nu, where C is the Dirac conjugation operator. When \nu_L is written in terms of its two components, C can be expressed as (i\sigma^2) =\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ -1 & 0 \end{array} \right). This expression can be found in the Dirac chapter of Peskin and is further explained in a problem. The final confusion is resolved by considering that the fields are fermionic and anticommute.
rkrsnan
In books I find that the Majorana mass term for the neutrinos is given by [tex] m_L \nu_L^T C^\dagger \nu[/tex] where C is Dirac Conjugation operator. How does C look like if I write [tex] \nu_L[/tex] as in terms of its two components [tex]\left(\begin{array} (\nu_{L1} \\ \nu_{L2} \end{array} \right)[/tex]?

Is [tex] C= (i\sigma^2) =\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ -1 & 0 \end{array} \right) [/tex]?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that looks ok to me. You can read about this in the Dirac chapter of Peskin, there is even a problem about it as I recall.

Thanks, the expression is correct. I was confused earlier because when I expand it I get [tex] \nu_1 \nu_2 - \nu_2 \nu_1 [/tex] which I thought is zero. Then it didn't occur to me that the fields are fermionic and they anticommute.

Related to How Does the Dirac Conjugation Operator Affect Majorana Neutrino Mass Terms?

What is a Majorana neutrino mass term?

A Majorana neutrino mass term is a theoretical term in particle physics that describes the mass of a Majorana neutrino, which is a type of neutrino that is its own antiparticle.

Why is the Majorana neutrino mass term important?

The Majorana neutrino mass term is important because it helps to explain the small but non-zero mass of neutrinos, which was previously thought to be zero. It also plays a role in the search for new physics beyond the Standard Model.

How is the Majorana neutrino mass term different from the Dirac neutrino mass term?

The Majorana neutrino mass term is different from the Dirac neutrino mass term in that it describes a neutrino that is its own antiparticle, while the Dirac neutrino mass term describes a neutrino that is distinct from its antiparticle.

What is the significance of the Majorana mass term in the context of neutrino oscillations?

The Majorana mass term is significant in the context of neutrino oscillations because it can lead to new and unique patterns of oscillations that are not possible with the Dirac mass term.

What are some current research efforts related to the Majorana neutrino mass term?

Some current research efforts related to the Majorana neutrino mass term include experiments searching for neutrinoless double beta decay, which would provide evidence for the Majorana nature and mass of neutrinos, as well as theoretical studies exploring its implications for cosmology and dark matter.