How does the electroscope lose electrons to the Earth?

In summary: Step 1 is not a steady state situation, there is an excess of electrons on the leaves. After step 2 you have restored the steady state situation, and the leaves are still negatively charged. After step 3 the charge on the leaves is redistributed, the negative charge is reduced and the positive charge is increased. The electroscope is now charged by induction and the total charge on the leaves is zero. After step 4 the electroscope is charged by contact with the rod. The total charge on the electroscope is now positive and the leaves are still closed.Does the following make sense?When the electroscope is initially brought close to the negatively charged rod, the free electrons in the electroscope move as far
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
I am trying to understand why the positively charged end when earthed would result in electron flow from postively charged end to earth. The exact steps outlined in the book are as in image below.
Relevant Equations
None
I get step 1, in which due to electrostatic induction the top part of electroscope gets positively charged while the leaves of electroscope become negatively charged.

Now if we Earth the positively charged end of electroscope as shown in step 2, then electrons must flow from Earth to positively charged end. But the book says the excess electrons from leaves flow to earth, even though positively charged end is earthed. This is confusing to me.

Perhaps, the electrons flow from Earth to positively charged end as soon as it's earthed, but then the leaves and top part end up becoming negatively charged as the electrons on the leaves redistribute to the neutral top plate and the leaves (leaves + top part form one conducting assembly). Since now the top plate is negatively charged so the electrons will flow from top plate to Earth till the leaves + plate assembly finally become neutral in charge.

CamScanner 09-20-2022 12.39.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the electrons in the plate and leaves that are free to move. In step 1 they move as far away from the negatively- charged rod as possible, into the leaves. When the plate is earthed, they are repelled even farther away, into the Earth.

Likes DrClaude, vcsharp2003 and hutchphd
kuruman said:
Think of the electrons in the plate and leaves that are free to move. In step 1 they move as far away from the negatively- charged rod as possible, into the leaves. When the plate is earthed, they are repelled even farther away, into the Earth.
Is the explanation that I attempted in the last paragraph of my original post not correct?

vcsharp2003 said:
Is the explanation that I attempted in the last paragraph of my original post not correct?
It doesn't make sense. You start by saying
vcsharp2003 said:
Perhaps, the electrons flow from Earth to positively charged end as soon as it's earthed, ##\dots##
There is also the negative charge on the rod that repels them. If you enclose the electroscope and the rod by a closed (Gaussian) surface, the total charge inside is negative. Why would the electrons from the Earth that are outside this volume be attracted to the net negative charge within the volume? It's the earthing in step 2 that expels the excess negative charge within the volume. In step 3 the Earth connection is removed prevening further exchange of electrons with the Earth. In step 4 the rod is removed to infinity and only then are the electrons redistributed on the electroscope which now has a deficit of electrons, i.e. a net positive charge. That's how charging by induction works.

Likes vcsharp2003 and DrClaude
kuruman said:
It doesn't make sense. You start by saying

There is also the negative charge on the rod that repels them. If you enclose the electroscope and the rod by a closed (Gaussian) surface, the total charge inside is negative. Why would the electrons from the Earth that are outside this volume be attracted to the net negative charge within the volume? It's the earthing in step 2 that expels the excess negative charge within the volume. In step 3 the Earth connection is removed prevening further exchange of electrons with the Earth. In step 4 the rod is removed to infinity and only then are the electrons redistributed on the electroscope which now has a deficit of electrons, i.e. a net positive charge. That's how charging by induction works.
Also, we could say that due to the negatively charged rod, the plate leaf assembly will have a negative potential since this assembly is in the immediate vicinity of the negatively charged rod. Now a conductor in electrostatic equilibrium will have the same potential at all points on its surface, so all points on the plate leaf assembly are at the same potential and this potential is negative. Now, when the plate is earthed then the Earth will be at a higher potential of 0 compared to negative potential of plate. As a result, free electrons will flow from lower potential to higher potential i.e. from plate to earth.

Is above also a correct explanation of electron transfer in this case?

It works.

Likes vcsharp2003

1. How does the electroscope lose electrons to the Earth?

The electroscope loses electrons to the Earth through a process called grounding. When the electroscope is touched by a person or object, the excess electrons on the electroscope flow into the person or object, leaving the electroscope with a neutral charge.

2. What causes the electroscope to lose electrons to the Earth?

The electroscope loses electrons to the Earth due to the principle of charge transfer. Objects with excess electrons will transfer those electrons to objects with fewer electrons, resulting in a neutral charge for both objects.

3. Can the electroscope lose electrons to the Earth without being touched?

Yes, the electroscope can lose electrons to the Earth without being touched. This can happen through induction, where an object with a different charge is brought near the electroscope, causing a redistribution of electrons and resulting in the loss of electrons to the Earth.

4. How does the distance between the electroscope and the Earth affect the loss of electrons?

The closer the electroscope is to the Earth, the easier it is for electrons to flow into the Earth. This is because the electric field between the electroscope and the Earth is stronger, making it easier for electrons to be transferred through grounding.

5. Can the electroscope lose all of its electrons to the Earth?

No, the electroscope cannot lose all of its electrons to the Earth. This is because the electroscope is always in contact with the air, which is a poor conductor of electricity. This means that some electrons will always remain on the electroscope, preventing it from losing all of its electrons to the Earth.