How does the release of a sandbag affect the motion of a hot air balloon?

• Thread starter mopar969
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, a hot air balloonist released a sandbag at a height of 40m above the ground with a constant velocity of 5m/s. After release, the sandbag falls in free fall. At 0.25s and 1s after release, the sandbag's position is -0.94m and -0.1m respectively, while its velocity is -2.55m/s and 4.8m/s respectively. It takes approximately 2.86 seconds for the sandbag to hit the ground, with a velocity of 23.03m/s at impact. The greatest height reached by the sandbag is 39.75m. The equations used were -x = xo + vo
mopar969
A hot air balloonist rising vertically with a constant velocity of magnitude 5m/s releases a sandbag at an instant when the balloon is 40m above the ground. After it is released the sandbag is in free fall.
a) Compute the position and velocity of the sandbag at 0.25s and 1s after it is released.
b) How many seconds after its release will the bag strike the ground?
c)With what magnitude of velocity does it strike the ground?
d) What is the greatest height above the ground that the sandbag reaches?
e) sketch a-t, v-t, and y-t graphs for the motion.
part a I used x = x +vo(t)+(1/2)a(t^2) and got -0.94 m for 0.25 s and -0.1 m for 1s
also: I used v = vo +at and got -2.55 m/s for 0.25s and 4.8 m/s for 1s
Please check answers and help me get started with what equation to use for part b.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mopar969 said:
A hot air balloonist rising vertically with a constant velocity of magnitude 5m/s releases a sandbag at an instant when the balloon is 40m above the ground. After it is released the sandbag is in free fall.
a) Compute the position and velocity of the sandbag at 0.25s and 1s after it is released.
b) How many seconds after its release will the bag strike the ground?
c)With what magnitude of velocity does it strike the ground?
d) What is the greatest height above the ground that the sandbag reaches?
e) sketch a-t, v-t, and y-t graphs for the motion.
part a I used x = x +vo(t)+(1/2)a(t^2) and got -0.94 m for 0.25 s and -0.1 m for 1s
also: I used v = vo +at and got -2.55 m/s for 0.25s and 4.8 m/s for 1s
Please check answers and help me get started with what equation to use for part b.
Use proper sign convension.
Since the sand bag finally falls on the ground, theequation should be
-x = xo + vo*t - 1/2*g*t^2.

Now proceed.

Last edited:
Okay thank you for the fix my new answers are for 0.25s = 1.56m and for 1s = 9.9m. Is my velocities correct for both times and what equation do I use to find the time in part b.

For the time for the sandbag to hit the ground I got 2.86seconds using(t=sqrt(x/4.9). Also, for part c I got 23.03m/s Is this correct (I used Vf = vi + at). Are these answers correct?

I also just calculated the greatest height above the ground that the sandbag reaches which is 39.75m (I used x = -4.9t^2+2t+x0) Is this correct?

For the time for the sandbag to hit the ground, use

-h = vo*t - 1/2*g*t^2. Substitute the values and solve the quadratic to find t.

For c, use -v = vo - gt.

For d, Maximum height H = 40 + v^2/2g

When I solved the quadratic equation where a = -4.9 , b = -5, and c = 0 I got 1.02m? Please help me figure out what I did Wrong. For c I used the equation given and used these values vi= -5 a =9.8 and t = 2.86 and I got an answer of 33.03 m/s. Is this correct?

For d I used the equation given(40+((v^2)/2g)) and used the values v= -5 and g = 9.8 and got an answer of 41.28 m. Is this correct?

Last edited:

1. What is the object falling problem?

The object falling problem, also known as the free fall problem, is a physics concept that involves the motion of an object when it is dropped from a certain height and is only acted upon by the force of gravity.

2. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a falling object?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a falling object is v = gt, where v is the velocity in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time in seconds.

3. How does air resistance affect the motion of a falling object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of a falling object. It increases as the object's velocity increases, and can eventually balance out the force of gravity, causing the object to reach a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.

4. Is the acceleration of a falling object constant?

Yes, the acceleration of a falling object is constant as long as the object is only acted upon by the force of gravity. This means that the object's velocity increases by the same amount (9.8 m/s²) every second it is falling.

5. Can the mass of an object affect its rate of free fall?

No, the mass of an object does not affect its rate of free fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate at the same rate due to gravity. This was famously demonstrated by Galileo's experiment at the Leaning Tower of Pisa.