How does the train scene in The Wolverine break physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the realism of a scene in which Wolverine jumps off a train and flies backwards in a straight line. The speaker suggests that the scene breaks physics and asks for an explanation using equations or calculations. The other person mentions that the jump is actually backwards, not forwards, and that gravity plays a role. They also mention the possibility of aerodynamics if the train is moving fast enough.
mrspock

I think it may have something to do with momentum or vectors, but I'm not sure? Can you explain to me why Wolverine jumping off the train and then flying several feet backwards in a perfect straight line is unrealistic?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's the part that you find unbelievable?

Danger said:
That's the part that you find unbelievable?

Well the whole scene kinda breaks physics in general, but I have to prove why it's unrealistic with equations / calculations.

Okay. I'm not going to get into it, but at least phrase the question properly. That jump is rearward, not forward.

edit: I see that you edited your first post to correct that. Good move.

Last edited:
mrspock said:
Can you explain to me why Wolverine jumping off the train and then flying several feet backwards in a perfect straight line is unrealistic?
Because gravity. But if the train is fast enough, he might use aerodynamics to fly a path significantly flatter than a purely ballistic one.

1. How does the train scene in The Wolverine break physics?

The train scene in The Wolverine breaks physics in several ways. Firstly, the train is shown traveling at an extremely high speed, which would require an immense amount of force and energy to maintain. This would be difficult to achieve in real life, especially for an extended period of time. Additionally, the train is shown making sharp turns and going up and down steep inclines, which would be impossible for a real train to do at such high speeds.

2. Are there any other ways that the train scene in The Wolverine breaks physics?

Yes, another way that the train scene breaks physics is with the movement of the characters. In the scene, Wolverine and his opponents are able to move around and fight on top of the train without being affected by the high speed or strong winds. In reality, it would be nearly impossible for someone to maintain their balance and movements in such extreme conditions.

3. How does the train scene in The Wolverine defy the laws of physics?

The train scene in The Wolverine defies the laws of physics by showing objects and characters moving in ways that are physically impossible. This includes the train itself, which is able to maintain its speed and maneuver in ways that go against the principles of motion and force. Additionally, the characters are shown performing superhuman feats, such as jumping long distances and surviving falls that would normally be fatal.

4. Is it common for action scenes in movies to break physics?

Yes, it is common for action scenes in movies to break physics in order to create more exciting and dramatic sequences. While this may make for entertaining viewing, it is important to remember that these scenes are not realistic and should not be taken as such. Movies often exaggerate or ignore the laws of physics in order to enhance the storytelling and action in the film.

5. How can viewers distinguish between realistic and unrealistic physics in movies?

Viewers can distinguish between realistic and unrealistic physics in movies by understanding the basic principles of physics and being aware of what is physically possible. If something seems too extreme or impossible, it is likely that the movie is breaking the laws of physics. Additionally, researching and fact-checking certain scenes or stunts can help determine if they are realistic or not.