How does the value of r* affect the ΔG vs r curve for heterogenous nucleation?

In summary: I can't remember the exact steps, but I think it came from the product rule.In summary, the conversation discusses a cylindrical pill-like solid cluster that nucleates from the vapor phase on a dislocation, with the free-energy change per unit thickness given by a formula. The value of r* is found to be -2πγ ± 2πγ√(1 + 2ΔGvB/πγ^2)/(4πΔGv). The critical radius is found by taking the derivative of ΔG with respect to r and setting it equal to zero. However, the solution is more complex compared to other solutions for homogeneous nucleation.
muskie25

Homework Statement

A cylindrical pill-like solid cluster of radius r nucleates from the vapor phase on a dislocation that emerges from the substrate. The free-energy change per unit thickness is given by
[tex] \Delta G = \pi r^2 \Delta G_v + 2 \pi r \gamma + A - B lnr [/tex]
Where [tex] A - Blnr [/tex] represents the dislocation energy within the cluster.

a) Sketch ## \Delta G ## vs ## r ##
b) Determine the value of r*
c) Show that when ## | \Delta G_v | B / \pi \gamma^2 > 1/2 ##, ## \Delta G_v ## monotonically decreases with r, and when ## | \Delta G_v | B / \pi \gamma^2 < 1/2 ##, there is a turnaround in the ## \Delta G ## vs ## r ## curve.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For r*, I got [tex] r* = \frac{-2 \pi \gamma \pm \sqrt{4 \pi^2 \gamma^2 + 8 \pi \Delta G_v B}}{4 \pi \Delta G_v} [/tex]

I don't exactly know how to plot ## \Delta G ## vs ## r ## for this heterogenous nucleation with the natural log function in there. I also don't really understand part c, but I think that's because I have part b wrong. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
muskie25 said:
For r*, I got [tex] r* = \frac{-2 \pi \gamma \pm \sqrt{4 \pi^2 \gamma^2 + 8 \pi \Delta G_v B}}{4 \pi \Delta G_v} [/tex]
It is not clear how you arrived at this. What happened to the ##lnr## from your top equation? How does r* differ from r?

I don't know about the physics in this question, but looking at the maths you can take a factor outside the radical:

[tex]r*=\frac{ -2 \pi \gamma \pm 2\pi\gamma\sqrt{1 + \dfrac{2\Delta G_v B} {\pi\gamma^2}}} {4 \pi \Delta G_v} [/tex]

NascentOxygen said:
It is not clear how you arrived at this. What happened to the ##lnr## from your top equation? How does r* differ from r?

I don't know about the physics in this question, but looking at the maths you can take a factor outside the radical:

[tex]r*=\frac{ -2 \pi \gamma \pm 2\pi\gamma\sqrt{1 + \dfrac{2\Delta G_v B} {\pi\gamma^2}}} {4 \pi \Delta G_v} [/tex]

To find the critical radius, you take [tex] \frac{ d\Delta G}{dr} = 0 [/tex] and solve for r. The reason that I am concerned is due to the fact other solutions that I have found (homogeneous nucleation) are much more simple.

Your first equation shows ΔG in terms of r2 and r. If you differentiate this to find dΔG/dr the result won't contain an r2 term.

NascentOxygen said:
Your first equation shows ΔG in terms of r2 and r. If you differentiate this to find dΔG/dr the result won't contain an r2 term.

Right, but I multiplied through by r to get rid of the 1/r that comes from differentiating the ln term.

1. What is nucleation on a substrate?

Nucleation on a substrate refers to the process by which a new phase or material forms on the surface of a solid substrate, often due to the presence of a supersaturated solution or vapor. This can occur through various mechanisms, such as self-assembly, diffusion, or chemical reactions.

2. Why is nucleation on a substrate important in scientific research?

Nucleation on a substrate plays a crucial role in many fields of science, including material science, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to control and manipulate the formation of new materials, study the kinetics of reactions, and understand the behavior of complex systems.

3. What factors affect nucleation on a substrate?

The rate and extent of nucleation on a substrate can be influenced by various factors, such as temperature, concentration, surface properties of the substrate, and presence of impurities. These factors can affect the nucleation rate, size, and morphology of the formed material.

4. How is nucleation on a substrate studied in the laboratory?

Scientists use various techniques to study nucleation on a substrate, such as scanning electron microscopy (SEM), atomic force microscopy (AFM), and X-ray diffraction (XRD). These methods allow for the visualization and characterization of the formed material at different stages of nucleation.

5. What are the potential applications of nucleation on a substrate?

Nucleation on a substrate has a wide range of applications, including the development of new materials for electronics, biomedical devices, and energy storage. It can also be used to synthesize nanoparticles, control crystal growth, and improve the performance of coatings and thin films.