How Does the Word Behave Reflect Its Etymological Roots?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, "etymology" is a noun that comes from the Latin and Greek words for "true meaning." It is the study of the history and origin of words, tracing their development from their earliest recorded use, their changes in different languages, and their connections to other words. It is also a branch of linguistics that focuses on etymologies.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -gies
Etymology: Middle English ethimologie, from Latin etymologia, from Greek, from etymon + -logia -logy
1 : the history of a linguistic form (as a word) shown by tracing its development since its earliest recorded occurrence in the language where it is found, by tracing its transmission from one language to another, by analyzing it into its component parts, by identifying its cognates in other languages, or by tracing it and its cognates to a common ancestral form in an ancestral language

2 : a branch of linguistics concerned with etymologies

-----------------------------------

I listen to the local Public Radio, and they broadcast "Word for the Wise", which always has interesting stories about words.

The one on "Behave" was interesting - http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/wftwarch.pl?120805

A fellow whose behavior, in our experience, has been nothing other than exemplary—but who has admittedly spent a fair amount of time with a toddler—urged us to have at the word behave.

Much to our surprise, behave is composed of be plus have. To have is to "own, possess, contain, hold," or "include." Have also means to "be marked, distinguished," or "characterized by"; to "exhibit, show, or manifest"; and to "know" or "understand."

What's the buzz on be? That prefix is used to mean "on, around, over," or "throughout" and "thoroughly; excessively." To possesses oneself thoroughly or to distinguish oneself throughout is, in a roundabout sort of way, to behave. In fact, the very earliest meaning of behave was to conduct oneself in a specified manner. In the past, behave has also been used to mean "restrain" or "regulate."

Over the centuries, behave also has come to refer to meeting a standard of what is proper and decorous. It compares with behoove, which means "to be necessary, fit, proper, or advantageous for" and which is commonly used impersonally.

It behooves us to pass along our e-mail address if we expect to hear from you.

WFTW archives at - http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/wftw_arcindex.pl

I would like to dedicate this thread in honor of honestrosewater. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
I would like to dedicate this thread in honor of honestrosewater. :smile:
Are you trying to say something about my behavior? o:)

What interests me most about this proposed origin of behave is that the pronunciation of the root's vowel (the a in have) is different. Have is pronounced /hæv/; behave is pronouned /bihev/, not /bihæv/, as I would expect.1 /bihæv/ is an acceptable English word, and pairs similar to have ~ behave do not show the same difference -- half ~ behalf, chance ~ bechance, dazzle ~ bedazzle, etc. So why is there a difference in this case? Was have pronounced /hev/ when behave originated and the pronunciation of have has since changed? When did behave orignate and in what form anyway? Is there some phonological process, or set of processes, that would change /bihæv/ to /bihev/? What is it? I've started to look into this, but it may take a while before I find an answer, if I ever do -- there's not enough time in a day. Anyone have information to add?

Something else that caught my eye: compare the meanings of have, hold, behave, and behold.

Thanks for sharing. :smile:

1. Or perhaps behave is more commonly pronounced /bIhev/ or /bəhev/ or some other way; my transcriptions are only meant as options -- and broad ones at that. (I'm not very good at transcriptions yet, and what is in one respect 'the same word' can be pronounced in different ways anyway.)

Last edited:

As a linguist, I find the etymology of words fascinating. It allows us to trace the history and development of language and how words have evolved over time. The word "etymology" itself comes from the Greek words "etymon" meaning "true sense" and "logia" meaning "study of." It is a branch of linguistics that is concerned with the origins and development of words.

In the case of "behave," as mentioned in the content, it is composed of the prefix "be," which can mean "on, around, over" or "throughout," and the verb "have," which can mean "to possess, exhibit, or understand." This combination gives the word its meaning of "to conduct oneself in a specified manner."

However, over time, the meaning of "behave" has also evolved to refer to meeting a standard of proper and decorous behavior. This shift in meaning is a testament to how language is constantly changing and adapting to the needs of its speakers.

It is also interesting to note that "behave" is related to the word "behoove," which means "to be necessary, fit, proper, or advantageous for." This shows the interconnectedness and evolution of words within a language.

Overall, the study of etymology allows us to better understand the richness and complexity of language and how words have come to have the meanings they do today. It is a reminder that language is constantly evolving and that we must be open to its changes and developments.

Related to How Does the Word Behave Reflect Its Etymological Roots?

What is etymology?

Etymology is the study of the origins and historical development of words and their meanings.

Why is etymology important?

Etymology helps us understand the evolution of language and the cultural influences that have shaped our vocabulary. It also helps us make connections between different words and their meanings.

What is the process of studying etymology?

The process of studying etymology involves researching the origins of words through historical documents, literature, and linguistic analysis. It also involves tracing the changes in meaning and usage of words over time.

What are some common sources of etymological information?

Some common sources of etymological information include dictionaries, encyclopedias, linguistic databases, and academic journals. Online resources such as etymonline.com and Oxford English Dictionary are also popular sources for etymological research.

How does etymology relate to linguistics?

Etymology is a branch of linguistics that focuses specifically on the historical development of words. It is closely related to other areas of linguistics such as phonology, morphology, and semantics, as it provides insights into the connections between words and their meanings.

Back