How does unbalanced tension affect the motion of a rope?

In summary: I'm pretty sure it was a pulley, maybe a rope-pulley?). Anyway, from the equation for the forces acting on the body I could see that F1 and F2 were the same, since they were acting on the same point. But what about T1 and T2?From what you wrote, it seems as if the T1 and T2 would have the same magnitude (since they are opposite forces), but that's not what would happen. The T1 would be bigger than the T2 since the block is moving downwards and the pulley is stationary.
Alex126

Homework Statement

There is a block of known mass m on a horizontal surface. The block is connected to a pulley via a rope. The other end of the rope is pulled vertically, downwards, with a known force F. The pulley has a known moment of inertia I and radius r.
Calculate the acceleration a of the block.

Homework Equations

ΣM = I*α
α = angular acceleration = a/r (a = tangential acceleration)
ΣF = m*a (F = forces acting on a body)
M = r*F

The Attempt at a Solution

This would be the drawing, though I'm a bit unsure about that Tension force T:
fazYtIq.png

Anyhow, I wrote the equation for the forces acting on the body, ignoring the Y axis since it's balanced:
+T = m*a

Then there is the other part of the problem, which focuses on the angular momenti on the pulley. Since the rotation is obviously clockwise, I'll call + the clockwise one, and - the counterclockwise one. Now, I know that there is a MF, since clearly that force exists and so does its momentum, but is there also another force to consider, namely the tension T? If I think about it, there shouldn't be any other momentum, since that force F is the only actual force applied to the pulley, BUT surely the same force would make the pulley rotate differently if the mass m was also different: no mass -> same F should make the pulley go "faster"; plenty enough mass -> no motion at all.

Instinctively, I thought there should be something like this:
+MF - MT = I*α
Rationally, I don't know where this "-T" comes from. The "T" I drew quite clearly goes in the same direction as F, so if anything it should be +MT. But then again, on the bottom part of the rope (where I drew F) maybe there is also a counter-Tension T2 (equal in magnitude to the T I wrote, but pointing upwards, i.e. opposing the motion), and that's the one producing that -MT.

The procedure after this point is straightforward, since I can just use the various equations with MF = r*F and MT = r*T, and a = α*r, combine them all in a system with T and α and get to the solution. What goes in the system, that's the question.

Attachments

• fazYtIq.png
    fazYtIq.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,542
Likes Suyash Singh
Physics news on Phys.org
Alex126 said:
The "T" I drew quite clearly goes in the same direction as F,
Tension (and likewise compression) is not a force, exactly. It is more like pairs of opposing forces.
If a string is under tension T, then at each point of the string there is a force T pulling away from the point in each direction.
If you were to draw separate free body diagrams for mass and pulley then they should show a T pointing away from the body in each case.

Yea, got it. I think.
So if I drew the diagram only for the block, it would show these three forces: Weight, Normal force, and a Tension pointing to the right.
For the pulley, there would be two forces: F pointing down, and T pointing to the left.

The T from the block and the T from the pulley have the same magnitude, right?
BwvzG6x.png

If that's the case, then T = m*a (where this "T" is the one pointing to the right, when I isolate the first body) should have been correct, from earlier.

Likewise, for the Momentum relative to the pulley, the two forces playing a role here would be the F and the T which points to the left. Therefore, as I guessed earlier, the momenti were indeed +MF - MT = I*α

So this becomes:
1) r*F - r*T = I*a/r
2) T = m*a
=> r*F - r*m*a = I*a/r =>
=> r*F = a (r*m+I/r) => a = r*F/(r*m+I/r)

Is this it?

Attachments

• BwvzG6x.png
    BwvzG6x.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 660
Alex126 said:
The T from the block and the T from the pulley have the same magnitude, right?
In this case, yes. When would they not be the same? Hint: draw a free body diagram for that section of rope.
Alex126 said:
a = r*F/(r*m+I/r)
Yes.

Likes Alex126
Ok, thanks for the answers.
haruspex said:
When would they not be the same? Hint: draw a free body diagram for that section of rope.
That's kinda what was bothering me, because I was thinking of other kinds of exercises. One in particular had two "concentric overlapping discs of pulleys" (I'm sure there is a better term to indicate this, but I don't know it) with two blocks hanging on either side. The two discs of the pulley system rotated together with the same angular velocity. It looked something like this:
dsIxxMa.png

Here T1-M is the tension T1 for the body, and it's equal (or rather, opposite) to T1-P which is the "counter-Tension" T1 from the "pulley's point of view". Same thing with T2, but T2 is different from T1. In this exercise we knew m1, m2, r1, r2, and the moment of inertia I (for some reason called J) of the "whole pulley" (i.e. considering the two discs as one object). I did this exercise basically the same way, except there were a few more things:
(m1 > m2, so assume counterclockwise rotation)
1) [First Body] +W1 - T1-M = m1*a1
2) [Second Body] -W2 + T2-M = m2*a2
3) [Pulley] +r1*T1-P - r2*T2-P = I*α
4/5) a1 = α*r1 ; a2 = α*r2

Here T1 and T2 were different, surely. Though I'm not sure this is the example you meant, since it's quite a bit far from the previous exercise :D

Attachments

• dsIxxMa.png
    dsIxxMa.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 749
Alex126 said:
Though I'm not sure this is the example you meant,
No, my question was when would a rope under tension exert a greater force at one end than at the other?

I guess when there is something else pulling on the other side...? Something like friction on the table maybe?

Alex126 said:
I guess when there is something else pulling on the other side...? Something like friction on the table maybe?
No. Bear in mind that in your question the system is accelerating. Draw a free body diagram for such a section of rope and consider the net force on it.

Oh, well, if there was no block then :D

Alex126 said:
Oh, well, if there was no block then :D
No, there is no block to consider in my question. There is just a straight length of rope with a greater tension at one end than at the other. What normally happens if there are unbalanced forces on an object?

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference, and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by distributing the weight of an object over multiple ropes or cables, which reduces the total force needed to lift the object. This is because the weight is evenly distributed among the ropes, rather than being concentrated on one point.

3. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted. In a fixed pulley, the direction of the force applied is changed, while in a movable pulley, the direction of the force is reversed, making it easier to lift the object.

4. How is circular motion related to pulleys?

Pulleys are often used in circular motion systems, such as in engines or conveyor belts. In these systems, the pulley is used to transfer rotational motion from one component to another, allowing for smooth and continuous movement.

5. What are some real-life applications of pulleys and circular motion?

Pulleys and circular motion are used in a variety of everyday objects, such as elevators, cranes, and exercise equipment. They are also utilized in industrial machinery, transportation systems, and amusement park rides, among others.