How Does Undergraduate GPA Matter For PhD If You Have Master

In summary, a mechanical engineering MSc student with a 2.68/4 undergraduate GPA and a 3.79/4 master's GPA is looking to apply for a PhD in the USA to modest universities. They are wondering if their master's GPA will offset their undergraduate GPA and are seeking suggestions for which universities to apply to. The general consensus is that the master's GPA should carry more weight, as long as the school is of equal quality. However, the assessment of undergraduate work may vary among schools. Some suggestions for universities to apply to include North Carolina State University, University of Texas San Antonio, and Lehigh University.
Emre Yucel
Hello Dear PhysicsForum members,

I am mechanical engineering MSc student. My undergrad gpa is 2.68/4 and my master gpa is 3.79/4. I would like to apply for PhD in USA to modest universities (not top one)Do you think my master gpa will offset my undergraduate gpa if i get good scores from GRE,TOEFL and LOR etc. and what do you suggest me to which universities i should apply for ?(I also have two and half years job experience related to my field)

Thanks​

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your master GPA will be given heavier weight as long as your school providing your Masters is on equal quality as the school where you earned your Bachelors degree, and you are applying to a doctoral program in mechanical engineering and your earlier degrees are in Mech E.

Likes Emre Yucel
Read the fine print at the schools you're applying to.

In principle, yes, it should offset your undergraduate work. You did better when presented with more advanced material, which is something that admissions committees will be looking for.

But a lot can depend on the details of how the school assesses your application. Some schools may specifically assess undergraduate work only. And since you were less than a 3.0, you won't get to the table where your master's GPA will be factored in. Some schools will simply count your MSc work into a weighted average of all post-secondary course work up until this point. Some schools will look just at your most recent two years - so you're MSc work would carry all the weight there.

Likes Emre Yucel
Thanks you for your replies.In fact yes,my bachelor and master are from same university so i assume that the commite will not think my master grades are inflated.Choppy,yes as you said,many universities emphasize undergrad gpa as 3.0 even if you have master with 4.0 for phd aplications.some say undergrad and master gpa will be weighted while others say your most recent gpa is important and we will not calculate your undergrad.By the way, which grad schools i should apply for?i will be pleased to your suggestions.i'd like to apply for North Carolie State University as the top one on list and i will drop to university of texas san antonio or lehigh university.Is it good choice?

1. How important is undergraduate GPA for getting into a PhD program with a master's degree?

Undergraduate GPA is still an important factor in the admissions process for a PhD program, even if you have a master's degree. While having a master's degree may demonstrate your ability to handle graduate-level coursework, your undergraduate GPA is often seen as a reflection of your overall academic performance and potential for success in a PhD program.

2. Will a high undergraduate GPA make up for a lower GPA in my master's program?

It depends on the specific program and the admissions committee's criteria. Generally, having a high undergraduate GPA can help offset a lower GPA in your master's program. However, it is important to note that admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

3. Does my undergraduate GPA matter more if my master's degree is in a different field?

In most cases, your undergraduate GPA is still an important factor regardless of the field of your master's degree. However, if your master's degree is in a related field to the PhD program you are applying to, the admissions committee may place more weight on your master's GPA as it demonstrates your knowledge and expertise in the field.

4. Can a low undergraduate GPA be offset by a high GRE score or other achievements?

While a high GRE score and other achievements can certainly help strengthen your application, a low undergraduate GPA may still be a red flag for admissions committees. It is important to have a well-rounded application that showcases your strengths in all areas, but a low GPA may still be a hindrance in the admissions process.

5. Is there a minimum GPA requirement for PhD programs if you have a master's degree?

Each PhD program may have different requirements and expectations for their applicants. Some programs may have a specific minimum GPA requirement, while others may not have a set requirement but will still consider your GPA as part of the overall application. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in applying to.