How does voltage in wires affect conduit and nearby materials?

In summary, the voltage carried by wires can have a significant impact on the surrounding conduit and nearby materials. High voltage can cause overheating and damage to the conduit, potentially leading to electrical hazards and failures. It can also cause nearby materials to deteriorate or become damaged, affecting the overall safety and functionality of the electrical system. Therefore, proper management and monitoring of voltage levels in wires is crucial to ensure the safe and efficient operation of electrical systems.
quikpik
Two questions here. From real-world problems, I was hoping someone smarter than me could explain the physics behind some issues I was told about. It's been a long time since I looked at an engineering or physics book, so please bear with me.

1) For a 3-phase motor, I was told that someone had the idea to run each conductor in its own conduit. He thought it was a good idea until the wires started to heat up and melt. Let's assume that the wires were sized for the correct full load amps of the motor. I was told that when the 3 conductors are run in the same conduit, that voltage/current offset each other. When they were run independently, it must've induced some sort of a charge in the conduit causing it to heat up? Is this possible, or is this story made up?

2) If I have a power supply, very high DC voltage (~60kV) with very low current (15mA), do you have to keep the wiring away from all metal? This is more of an engineering installation question, so maybe this isn't appropriate here. I was of the belief that as long as things were non-ferrous, everything would be fine, perhaps even putting the cables in aluminum conduit. I was told this was bad practice. For such an installation, no metal (even non-ferrous) should be within a foot of the cable, due to the possibility of the cable inducing a charge on nearby ungrounded metal. If someone were to then touch that metal, they're liable to get a shock. Is this backed by science?

Thanks for any explanations. It's been a long time since I even had to think about Maxwell or Faraday.

Engineering news on Phys.org
quikpik said:
Two questions here. From real-world problems, I was hoping someone smarter than me could explain the physics behind some issues I was told about. It's been a long time since I looked at an engineering or physics book, so please bear with me.

1) For a 3-phase motor, I was told that someone had the idea to run each conductor in its own conduit. He thought it was a good idea until the wires started to heat up and melt. Let's assume that the wires were sized for the correct full load amps of the motor. I was told that when the 3 conductors are run in the same conduit, that voltage/current offset each other. When they were run independently, it must've induced some sort of a charge in the conduit causing it to heat up? Is this possible, or is this story made up?

2) If I have a power supply, very high DC voltage (~60kV) with very low current (15mA), do you have to keep the wiring away from all metal? This is more of an engineering installation question, so maybe this isn't appropriate here. I was of the belief that as long as things were non-ferrous, everything would be fine, perhaps even putting the cables in aluminum conduit. I was told this was bad practice. For such an installation, no metal (even non-ferrous) should be within a foot of the cable, due to the possibility of the cable inducing a charge on nearby ungrounded metal. If someone were to then touch that metal, they're liable to get a shock. Is this backed by science?

Thanks for any explanations. It's been a long time since I even had to think about Maxwell or Faraday.

Welcome to the PF.

1) When the wires are run together in the same conduit, there is no net B-field (the currents cancel). When run alone, it may be that the eddy currents induced in the conduit heat it up too much.

2) The spacing issue is to avoid arc-over from the HV conductors to other conductors.

Steel conduit experiencing inductive heating is certainly not made up. See the attached section of the National Electric Code.

Attachments

• 99nec300-20.png
    99nec300-20.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 656
He thought it was a good idea until the wires started to heat up and melt.

he's not the first, by a long shot.

http://media.nowpublic.net/images//97/7/977a0e06c35f94412e56c9d32e1704f5.jpg

Those red magnetic lines heat iron . But it takes substantial current, like to a motor or something, to make it dangerously hot.

if the iron encircles the return conductor too then the two magnetic fields will cancel.
That's why that paragraph in electrical code says run them all together.

If you have a clamp-around ammeter , clamp it around both wires of a lampcord and observe zero reading. Then split the cord and clamp around either conductor observe you read lamp current.

Then repair or replace the lampcord.

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:
That's actually a very simple, practical test. I wish I had thought to try that earlier.

As for my second question, would arc-over be an issue since my plan would have been to run the HV cable in aluminum conduit? The cable itself would also be insulated, of course. The shock hazard posed extended to metal fasteners as well, which might be in the vicinity of where the conduit is routed.

I have no problem using all non-metallic conduit, fasteners, etc, I'd just like to convince myself of why it'd be needed.

1. How does voltage in wires affect conduit and nearby materials?

Voltage in wires can affect conduit and nearby materials in several ways. Firstly, high voltage in wires can cause the conduit and nearby materials to heat up, potentially leading to melting or fire hazards. Additionally, voltage fluctuations can cause stress and wear on the materials, leading to potential failures and damage. Finally, high voltage can also create electromagnetic fields that can interfere with other electronic devices nearby.

2. Can voltage in wires cause damage to the conduit and nearby materials?

Yes, high voltage in wires can cause damage to the conduit and nearby materials. As previously mentioned, it can cause heating and stress on the materials, potentially leading to melting or failure. It can also create electromagnetic interference that can disrupt the functioning of other electronic devices nearby.

3. How can voltage in wires be regulated to prevent damage to conduit and nearby materials?

Voltage in wires can be regulated through the use of circuit breakers or fuses. These devices are designed to detect and interrupt excessive voltage or current, preventing damage to the wires and nearby materials. It is important to regularly check and maintain these devices to ensure they are functioning properly.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when dealing with high voltage in wires?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when dealing with high voltage in wires. It is important to always use appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when handling wires with high voltage. Additionally, make sure to de-energize the circuit before working on or near the wires, and follow proper electrical safety protocols at all times.

5. How can I determine the appropriate voltage for my wiring and nearby materials?

The appropriate voltage for wiring and nearby materials can vary depending on the specific application and materials used. It is important to consult with a qualified electrician or engineer to determine the appropriate voltage for your specific needs. Additionally, following local electrical codes and regulations can also help ensure the safe and appropriate use of voltage in wires and nearby materials.