How electric potential boundary condition works

In summary: If you are applying the equation to the outer surface of the conductor, the σ in σ/ε0 would be the total charge density in the conductor, which would be the sum of the free charge density σf and the charge density of the shell.
tomasg

Homework Statement

[/B]
Inside a sperical dielectric mass there is a electric dipole on the center of the sphere. The sphere has radius a. This dieletric sphere is inside and on the center of a conductive spherical shell of radius b. The problem asks to find the potentials and then the electric fields in every region, inside the dielectric sphere, the space between the sphere and the shell and outside the shell.

Homework Equations

Its given that p=p0*z (the dipole looks towards +z )

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Now, i have written all the potentials (the solutions of laplace) but i noticed that i haven't fully understood one boundary condition for the electric potential. The one that says ε2(∂Vout/∂r)-ε1(∂V/∂r)=-σ(θ)/ε0.
The problem doesn't say anything about the charge of the shell, so i suppose is zero. So my question is this, does the σ(θ) of the above condition refers to the induced charge density (which would not be zero in this example i think) or the charge density of the shell alone?

Physics news on Phys.org
well I'm not an expert so pardon me if I'm wrong...But the above equation refers to the discontinuity of the electric field in the boundaries of two media,which is derived from Gauss' law.And the charge density in Gauss' law is the net charge density(due to induction too).So I think the charge density refers to the net charge density,which in this case is the induce charge density...

Thanks for the reply. I believe this is true too. Atleast that's what i have understand after reading more caerefully griffith's book

tomasg said:
ε2(∂Vout/∂r)-ε1(∂V/∂r)=-σ(θ)/ε0.
This equation does not look quite right. The left side gives the change in the radial component of D (not E). The right hand side should then be -σfree(θ) without any ε0.

σfree is the free charge density on the boundary surface between the two dielectric materials.

If you wrote the left hand side without the ε2 and ε1 as ∂Vout/∂r- ∂V/∂r, then you now have radial components of E. Then the right hand side would be -σ(θ)/ε0 and σ(θ) would be the total surface charge density (free plus bound).

I have an older 3rd edition of Griffiths. In this edition, there is a section 4.3.3 called "Boundary Conditions". Here you find the equations

Dabove - Dbelow = σf where σf is free charge density.

and

Eabove - Ebelow = σ/ε0 where σ is total charge density.

Last edited:
TSny said:
This equation does not look quite right. The left side gives the change in the radial component of D (not E). The right hand side should then be -σfree(θ) without any ε0.

σfree is the free charge density on the boundary surface between the two dielectric materials.

If you wrote the left hand side without the ε2 and ε1 as ∂Vout/∂r- ∂V/∂r, then you now have radial components of E. Then the right hand side would be -σ(θ)/ε0 and σ(θ) would be the total surface charge density (free plus bound).

I have an older 3rd edition of Griffiths. In this edition, there is a section 4.3.3 called "Boundary Conditions". Here you find the equations

Dabove - Dbelow = σf where σf is free charge density.

and

Eabove - Ebelow = σ/ε0 where σ is total charge density.

yes i should not put the ε0 there. Thank you so much sir for the answer. It finally makes sense to me. And as the user above said, the Eabove - Ebelow = σ/ε0= (σf+σb)/ε0 <--- in this equation the σf could be the induced charge density or the charge density we created in the conductor (or both). Right?

tomasg said:
And as the user above said, the Eabove - Ebelow = σ/ε0= (σf+σb)/ε0 <--- in this equation the σf could be the induced charge density or the charge density we created in the conductor (or both). Right?
I'm not sure I'm understanding your question. In your problem, the inner surface of the conducting sphere will have a free charge density σf which is the charge density induced on the inner surface of the spherical conductor by the dielectric sphere with the dipole. So if you are applying the equation to the inner surface of the conductor, the σ in σ/ε0 would be this σf.

Last edited:

1. What is an electric potential boundary condition?

An electric potential boundary condition is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the electric potential (voltage) at the boundary of a system and the electric field within that system. It is used to determine the behavior of electric charges and fields at the boundary.

2. How does an electric potential boundary condition affect the behavior of electric charges?

The electric potential boundary condition determines the direction and magnitude of the electric field at the boundary, which in turn affects the motion and behavior of electric charges within the system. For example, if the boundary condition specifies a constant potential, the electric field will be constant and charges will move in a straight line.

3. Can an electric potential boundary condition be changed?

Yes, an electric potential boundary condition can be changed by altering the values of the electric potential or electric field at the boundary. This can be done by changing the geometry of the system, adding or removing charges, or applying an external electric field.

4. How is an electric potential boundary condition used in practical applications?

An electric potential boundary condition is used in various practical applications, such as designing electronic circuits, analyzing the behavior of electrically charged particles in accelerators, and studying the properties of materials in physics and chemistry. It is also important in solving problems related to electrostatics and electromagnetism.

5. Are there different types of electric potential boundary conditions?

Yes, there are different types of electric potential boundary conditions, such as Dirichlet boundary conditions, Neumann boundary conditions, and mixed boundary conditions. These different types describe different relationships between the electric potential and electric field at the boundary, and are used in different situations depending on the specific problem being solved.