How electrons show wave phenomenon within an atom?

In summary, the concept of wave phenomenon within an atom refers to the probability of finding electrons in different regions, represented by dumbbell shapes. These electrons are constantly moving, making it impossible to determine their exact position, only their probabilistic position. The trace of their movement in P-orbitals is uncertain due to the fundamental law of nature, which is manifested as a commutator between position and momentum. This means that even with identical momentum uncertainty, electrons can have different trajectories, making it impossible to track their movement around the nucleus.
Parveen
what is wave and how electrons show wave phenomenon within an atom. like in Px or Py or Pz orbital how electrons interchanged from one dumble to another?

Physics news on Phys.org
Interchange from one dumbbell to the other?
Firstly these dumbbell shapes are just representations of the space where the probability of finding the electron is high. That's what I've understood, but I'm not certain about it

Definitely it's the probability of finding the electrons, but electrons can't stand still there they keep moving and moving from one dumble to another (i guess). and they are moving so fast that instead of determining their exact position we can only determine their probabilistic position. I have doubts about the trace followed by electrons of the atom while moving around nucleus in the P-orbital

Parveen said:
moving from one dumble to another (i guess). and they are moving so fast that instead of determining their exact position we can only determine their probabilistic position.
If the atom is isolated and is initially in one of the stationary states, part of which are associated to the types of orbital Px, Py, and Pz, then it will stay in this state (i.e. does not change to the other orbital shape) until interaction with vacuum field forces the electron to undergo spontaneous emission where it will go to the ground state.
The absence of the deterministic measurement of position is not caused by the electron being too swift for us to "catch" in place with high success rate, instead it is a consequence of the fundamental law of nature, which is manifested as a commutator between position and momentum. You can see this by considering an example where you have two wavepackets in momentum space at ##t=0##: ##\psi_1(p) = A \exp\left(-p^2/\sigma_P^2\right)## and ##\psi_2(p) = A \exp\left(-(p-p_c)^2/\sigma_P^2\right)##. These two wavepackets correspond to the an electron which kind of stand still and to an electron which kind of move with velocity ##p_c/m##, moreover they also have the same momentum uncertainty. If you calculate the position space wavepacket, you should find that they have identical uncertainty in space, although one is not moving and the other is.
Parveen said:
I have doubts about the trace followed by electrons of the atom while moving around nucleus in the P-orbital
No, you can't find the trajectory of an electron around the nucleus.

Last edited:

1. How do electrons exhibit wave-like behavior within an atom?

Electrons exhibit wave-like behavior within an atom due to their dual nature as both particles and waves. This means that they can behave like particles with defined positions and momenta, but also exhibit wave-like properties such as diffraction and interference.

2. What is the significance of the wave nature of electrons in atoms?

The wave nature of electrons in atoms is significant because it helps explain the stability of atoms and the arrangement of electrons in atomic orbitals. It also plays a role in understanding chemical bonding and the behavior of matter at the atomic level.

3. How do electrons show wave phenomenon in the atomic orbitals?

Electrons in atomic orbitals behave like standing waves, where the electron's position is not well-defined but its wave function has a specific shape and energy. This wave function determines the probability of finding the electron at different locations within the orbital.

4. What is the relationship between the wave nature of electrons and energy levels in atoms?

The wave nature of electrons is closely related to the energy levels in atoms. The allowed energy levels in an atom correspond to different wave functions for the electrons, which determine the electron's energy and behavior within the atom.

5. Can the wave nature of electrons be observed experimentally?

Yes, the wave nature of electrons can be observed experimentally through various techniques such as electron diffraction, where electrons are diffracted by a crystal lattice and produce a diffraction pattern. This supports the idea that electrons behave as waves within an atom.