How exactly are X-Rays produced?

In summary, X-rays are produced through a process called bremsstrahlung, which involves slowing down high-energy electrons and directing them towards a metal target. When the electrons collide with the target, they produce X-rays as a result of the energy released. This process can also be enhanced through a process called characteristic radiation, where electrons are knocked out of inner shell electrons in the target material, causing X-rays to be emitted. X-rays are commonly used in medical imaging and other applications due to their ability to penetrate through materials and produce detailed images.
Arup Biswas
I found that in a cathode ray tube accelerated Electrons produce X rays! Now it can be in 3 ways
1) When the electrons are being accelerated by increasing Voltage...then according classical theoy they should radiate energy! It may be the X ray
2) When it reaches the metal plate there will be the acceleration due to nucleus, it may produce X rays, which we call Bremsstrahlung
3) If the electron strike another electron and seize it's place then its energy also converts into X ray!
Pls help me where am I wrong in my concept?

Attachments

• 1485063102966.jpg
    1485063102966.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 465
Science news on Phys.org
Your 2) and 3) both happen. In 1) the acceleration is comparatively quite gentle, so any radiation would be far below the x ray range. Also, it is accelerating so I would think it would be absorbing radiation rather than emitting it, but I am not sure about that point.

Arup Biswas said:
2) When it reaches the metal plate there will be the acceleration due to nucleus, it may produce X rays, which we call Bremsstrahlung

Actually, it is not "acceleration", but rather deceleration. Bremsstrahlung is "braking radiation", i.e. while it is slowing down.

3) If the electron strike another electron and seize it's place then its energy also converts into X ray!

Again, a bit inaccurate. It has to be one of the "core level" electrons in the atom, some time called the K-shell or deeper. It doesn't seize its place, but rather knocks it out of place. Then, this state is empty, the other electrons in the atoms will decay down to this state, emitting EM radiation. Due to the nature of the transition into this state, this is when x-ray is emitted.

You may want to refer to this:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/xrayc.html

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes Dale
Dale said:
Also, it is accelerating so I would think it would be absorbing radiation rather than emitting it, but I am not sure about that point.

an accelerating electron emits EM ... standard for an AC ( RF) circuit :smile:

Hello

Dale said:
Also, it is accelerating so I would think it would be absorbing radiation rather than emitting it, but I am not sure about that point.

In classical electrodynamics, if acceleration is not zero, it will emit em waves (independently on the sign of the acceleration).

In a particle accelerator (specifically betatron, synchrotron, and similar), they loss a lot of energy while trying to give more energy (momentum) to the particles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchrotron#Principle_of_operation

Electron/positron accelerators may also be limited by the emission of synchrotron radiation, resulting in a partial loss of the particle beam's kinetic energy. The limiting beam energy is reached when the energy lost to the lateral acceleration required to maintain the beam path in a circle equals the energy added each cycle.

Greetings.

Last edited:
Likes Merlin3189
ORF said:
In a particle accelerator (specifically betatron, synchrotron, and similar), they loss a lot of energy by "Bremsstrahlung" trying to give more energy (momentum) to the particles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchrotron#Principle_of_operation

I don't want to be picky, but what you wrote and what you quoted from Wikipedia do not match.

"Bremsstralung" happens when a charged particle is decelerated very quickly. This happens in, say, when a charge particle is stopped by a piece of material. This is a major issue in shielding for particle accelerators.

The loss of energy in synchrotron, betatron, cyclotron is due to the BENDING of the path of the charged particles, which is a form of acceleration. There is no loss in kinetic energy of the charged particles. This is, technically, not usually categorized as Bremsstralung radiation.

Zz.

Hello

Sorry, you are right. Thank you for the clarification [I have removed the reference to bremsstrahlung]

Greetings.

Last edited:

1. How are X-rays produced?

X-rays are produced when high-energy electrons are accelerated and collide with a metal target. This collision causes the electrons to release a burst of energy in the form of X-rays.

2. What types of machines or devices are used to produce X-rays?

X-rays are typically produced using specialized machines called X-ray generators. These machines consist of a vacuum tube with a cathode and anode, and a high-voltage power supply.

3. What is the difference between X-rays and other types of electromagnetic radiation?

X-rays have a shorter wavelength and higher energy compared to other forms of electromagnetic radiation, such as visible light. This allows them to pass through solid objects and create detailed images of internal structures.

4. Are X-rays harmful to humans?

High doses of X-rays can be harmful to humans, as they have the potential to damage cells and DNA. However, the amount of radiation used in medical X-rays is carefully controlled and considered safe.

5. Can X-rays be used for purposes other than medical imaging?

Yes, X-rays have a wide range of applications, including industrial testing, security scanning, and material analysis. They can also be used in research to study the properties and behavior of matter at the atomic level.