Understanding X-Ray Emission from Colliding Electrons

In summary: However, the neutrino has no electric charge and the muon does have an electric charge of +2/3. So, while they are both leptons, they are not the same type of lepton.
dheeraj
i everybody

i've studied in my 9th standard that x rays are produced when cathode rays(electrons) hit solid targets such as molybdenum,titanium,etc..
now we'll observe the physics going out there
so what's happening there?
an electron is coming with some speed say v and hitting the valence electron present in the valence shell or orbit of the molybdenum atom
and eventually a x ray is emitted whose speed is c(speed of light)
so my doubt here is the electron transition is taking place above there and an x ray is produced
so in the large hadron collider if two electrons are made to hit at almost at 99.99% of the speed of light even then will an x ray is produced?
if so,what are the other particles that emit when they(electrons) collide?

thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
As the term "Large Hadron" implies, one accelerates protons, not electrons. Electron (lepton) colliders use electrons. Just like high energy protons can collide and produce mesons or heavier particles, dependent on the total energy, high energy electrons can create particles, e.g., muons.

When high energy electrons collide, the photons produced are considered gamma rays, not X-rays.

X-rays are those photons produced when electrons fall into the orbitals within the atom, and typically, the K, L, M, . . . shells, as opposed to the valence (outermost) orbitals.

X-ray energies are characteristic of the element and are related to the nuclear charge (Z).

Likes 1 person
In addition to the X-rays produced by electrons falling into inner orbitals as Astronuc discussed, when a beam of high-energy electrons impacts a solid target, X-rays are also produced by a process called bremsstrahlung. Bremsstrahlung is German for "braking radiation". Since accelerated charges radiate electromagnetic waves, an electron which is decelerating as it hits a target emits radiation. If the electron's energy is high enough, this radiation will be in the form of X-rays.

I think most of the X-rays in a medical X-ray machine are produced through bremsstrahlung, rather than line emission due to electrons falling into inner shells. I'm not certain of this, however.

The picture below is from the wiki article on X-Rays.

TubeSpectrum.jpg

Spectrum of the X-rays emitted by an X-ray tube with a rhodium target, operated at 60 kV. The smooth, continuous curve is due to bremsstrahlung, and the spikes are characteristic K lines for rhodium atoms.

so if high energy electrons can create particles like muon. muon is an anti neutrino. how is(muon) emitted?

dheeraj said:
so if high energy electrons can create particles like muon. muon is an anti neutrino. how is(muon) emitted?

Muon is NOT an antineutrino!

You could have done a quick search on this and corrected this yourself!

Why are you bringing muon into this question? Have you moved past your original question and decided to change the topic?

Zz.

hmm zapperz i ain't changing the topic here well if you haven't read the #2 please read and pardon muon is not an antineutrino andi haven't googled it i just got confused i know that muon is a neutrino...

dheeraj said:
hmm zapperz i ain't changing the topic here well if you haven't read the #2 please read and pardon muon is not an antineutrino andi haven't googled it i just got confused i know that muon is a neutrino...

A muon is not a neutrino either. It is a distinct particle, similar to an electron only heavier.

dheeraj said:

You should stop being lazy and do some reading FIRST rather than stating glaringly wrong statement such as this. Otherwise this thread will be closed for being too silly.

Zz.

dheeraj said:

Perhaps you are referring to a muon neutrino although I don't know what that has to do with your question. It would probably be helpful to familiarize yourself with this chart when talking about subatomic particles:

standardmodel.gif

The muon neutrino and muon are both leptons and are denoted as [itex]\upsilon_{}\mu[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to Understanding X-Ray Emission from Colliding Electrons

1. What is X-ray emission from colliding electrons?

X-ray emission from colliding electrons is a process in which high-energy electrons collide with a target material, resulting in the emission of X-rays. This phenomenon occurs in various scientific fields, including medical imaging, material analysis, and astrophysics.

2. How are X-rays produced from colliding electrons?

X-rays are produced from colliding electrons through a process called Bremsstrahlung radiation. When high-energy electrons interact with a target material, they are decelerated, causing them to emit electromagnetic radiation, including X-rays.

3. What factors influence the intensity of X-ray emission from colliding electrons?

The intensity of X-ray emission from colliding electrons is influenced by several factors, including the energy of the colliding electrons, the atomic number of the target material, and the angle of collision between the electrons and the target material. Higher energy electrons and higher atomic number materials result in more intense X-ray emission.

4. How is X-ray emission from colliding electrons used in medical imaging?

In medical imaging, X-ray emission from colliding electrons is used to produce images of the internal structures of the human body. The X-rays are directed towards the body and pass through different tissues, creating a shadow image that can be captured and processed to identify any abnormalities or injuries.

5. What are the potential hazards of X-ray emission from colliding electrons?

X-ray emission from colliding electrons can be hazardous to living organisms, as it can cause damage to cells and tissues. Therefore, proper safety measures, such as shielding and limited exposure, must be taken when working with X-ray emission from colliding electrons.