How exactly to set the parameter for different springs for an oscillation experiment?

Boileddog
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
For my academic research project, I am studying the oscillatory of magnets attached to extension springs. And to have variety of data on different types of oscillation, I'll be using different spring constants as a variable. But in order to get the springs I need to know the dimensions of the specific springs. Therefore, what are the 10 different spring constants that I should have for ascendingly varying oscillations of spring for a load of around 40 grams?

Physics news on Phys.org
Boileddog said:
For my academic research project, I am studying the oscillatory of magnets attached to extension springs.
Please be more specific. What exactly is the "oscillatory of magnets attached to extension springs"? Are you talking about the frequency of oscillations in vertical spring-mass systems? If so, why use magnets and not plain weights? What are you going to measure? In projects of this kind, one asks a question and then designs a procedure to answer it. What question, specifically, are you asking?

Likes MatinSAR

1. How do I determine the appropriate spring constant for my oscillation experiment?

To determine the spring constant of a spring, you can use Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. You can measure the force applied to the spring at different displacements and use this data to calculate the spring constant.

2. What factors should I consider when selecting different springs for my experiment?

When selecting springs for an oscillation experiment, you should consider the spring constant, the mass of the object attached to the spring, and the desired frequency of oscillation. The spring constant determines how stiff the spring is, while the mass affects the amplitude of the oscillations. The frequency of oscillation is determined by the spring constant and the mass of the object.

3. How can I ensure that the springs are set up correctly for the experiment?

To ensure that the springs are set up correctly for the experiment, make sure that they are securely attached to a stable support and that the object attached to the spring is properly positioned. Additionally, check that the springs are not stretched beyond their elastic limit, as this can affect the accuracy of the results.

4. What is the relationship between the period of oscillation and the parameters of the springs?

The period of oscillation of a spring-mass system is determined by the spring constant and the mass of the object attached to the spring. The period is inversely proportional to the square root of the spring constant and directly proportional to the square root of the mass. This means that increasing the spring constant will decrease the period of oscillation, while increasing the mass will increase the period.

5. How can I adjust the parameters of the springs to achieve different types of oscillations?

To achieve different types of oscillations, such as simple harmonic motion or damped oscillations, you can adjust the parameters of the springs by changing the spring constant or the mass of the object attached to the spring. For example, increasing the spring constant will result in faster oscillations, while increasing the mass will dampen the oscillations. Experimenting with different combinations of parameters will allow you to observe a variety of oscillation behaviors.