How experimentally robust is Giant Dipole Resonance in 88Be?

kodama
TL;DR Summary
experiments on Giant Dipole Resonance
I saw this paper,

Observation of the X17 anomaly in the decay of the Giant Dipole Resonance of 88Be​

[*]2308.06473
Angular correlation spectra of e+e−e+e− pairs produced in the 77Li(pp,γγ)88Be nuclear reaction were studied at a proton beam energy of EpEp~=~4.0~MeV, which corresponds to the excitation energy of the Giant Dipole Resonance (GDR) in 88Be. The spectra measured show a peak like anomaly at 120∘∘ and a broader anomaly also above 140∘∘. Both anomalies could consistently be described by assuming that the same hypothetical X17 particle was created both in the ground-state transition and in the transition going to the broad (ΓΓ=1.5~MeV), first excited state in 88Be. The invariant mass of the particle, which was derived to be mXc2 = 16.95±0.48mXc2 = 16.95±0.48(stat.) ~MeV, agrees well with our previously published values.

arXiv admin note: text overlap with arXiv:2209.10795
I would like to know how robust and how established is experiments involving on Giant Dipole Resonance

How easy would another research team to use on Giant Dipole Resonance reproduce these results

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh look, it's the same group of authors again. Weird how this proposed particle exclusively exists in their lab.

Shooting 4 MeV protons into lithium and looking for electron/positron pairs should be relatively simple, but I think it would be a waste of time unless there is a reason better than "debunking the most recent nonsense from Krasznahorkay et al".

Likes kodama, ohwilleke and Vanadium 50
mfb said:
Oh look, it's the same group of authors again
Interestingly, Krasznahorkay fils is back on the author list. For a while it was only Krasznahorkay pere. I bet there's a story there.

Likes ohwilleke
Vanadium 50 said:
Interestingly, Krasznahorkay fils is back on the author list. For a while it was only Krasznahorkay pere. I bet there's a story there.
Maybe Dad has decided he's getting old and wanted to spend some of his summer holiday going fishing, or traveling with his wife while he's still healthy enough, when he's already a full professor with tenure and getting close to emeritus status, and trusts his son to lighten his load a little so he can do that, while allowing them to bond over physics when they do work on the paper?

Those were the kinds of stories I saw and continue to see having lived all of my life in college towns until I finished my graduate degree, and then keeping in touch with my peers and their academic parents in the decades that followed.

mfb said:
Oh look, it's the same group of authors again. Weird how this proposed particle exclusively exists in their lab.

Shooting 4 MeV protons into lithium and looking for electron/positron pairs should be relatively simple, but I think it would be a waste of time unless there is a reason better than "debunking the most recent nonsense from Krasznahorkay et al".
claims of x17 aside, so what is the purpose of giant dipole experiments? are they easy to do? the actual purpose of the thread is I'd like to learn more about giant dipole experiments