How far can the person climb up the ladder before it starts sliding?

In summary: None of these have ever worked with Latex. There used to be another option, something about Mathjax?, which revealed the latex source in a popup and you could copy that. Reply of the whole post copies the latex ok, and I often do that just to get the latex, then delete all the...
ClearWhey
Homework Statement
A person climbs a ladder like in the picture, how far can he climb up before the ladder starts sliding?
Relevant Equations
Ladder length 4m
Person weight 60kg
Ladder weight 10kg
Ladders coeficient of friction on both contact points 0,35
Look on picture two for my equations, I’m pretty sure my first three equations are correct as it’s the same on the answer paper I got. Answer paper only shows the three equations and correct answer so I have no idea how they got to it.

When I put the equations togheter And solve out ”h” i get like 1,5m something which is wrong. The answer is 2,34m. Can someone please look into this, did I simplify the equations wrong? Or is it something else. Have tried myself for like 2-3 hours and this is my last resort. Thanks in advance!
2CA7277E-7C95-47B5-A327-3749824A9885.jpeg
E0259D9F-C77C-4349-8FC7-7FE3930BBFC2.jpeg
2CE2C24B-1F32-43BF-9298-E8DB6A82019D.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
I found a sign error here:
1600398365731.png

I suggest that you start by using equations 2 through 4 to find ##N_B## and ##F_B##. Evaluatue these numerically and then substitute into equation 1 to find ##h##.

Likes Lnewqban and ClearWhey
TSny said:
I found a sign error here:
View attachment 269629

I suggest that you start by using equations 2 through 4 to find ##N_B## and ##F_B##. Evaluatue these numerically and then substitute into equation 1 to find ##h##.

Changed that sign to + and now I got the correct answer! Thanks you so much.

I could only solve it with my method by placing in the equation for FB and NB into my last equation. But you wrote something about substituting into the first equation, how? Would it be easier to solve this kind of problem with another method?

Likes TSny
ClearWhey said:
I could only solve it with my method by placing in the equation for FB and NB into my last equation. But you wrote something about substituting into the first equation, how? Would it be easier to solve this kind of problem with another method?
It is generally easier to start with the simplest equations that allow you to eliminate some unknowns. The most complicated equation doesn't use FA or NA, so eliminate those first.
##F_A=N_B##
##N_A=N_B/\mu##
##F_B=N_B\mu##
##F_B+N_A=N_B\mu+N_B/\mu=M_m+M_s##
##N_B=\frac{\mu(M_m+M_s)}{1+\mu^2}##
##F_B=\frac{\mu^2(M_m+M_s)}{1+\mu^2}##
Etc.

Likes Lnewqban, ClearWhey and TSny
haruspex said:
It is generally easier to start with the simplest equations that allow you to eliminate some unknowns. The most complicated equation doesn't use FA or NA, so eliminate those first.
##F_A=N_B##
##N_A=N_B/\mu##
##F_B=N_B\mu##
##F_B+N_A=N_B\mu+N_B/\mu=M_m+M_s##
##N_B=\frac{\mu(M_m+M_s)}{1+\mu^2}##
##F_B=\frac{\mu^2(M_m+M_s)}{1+\mu^2}##
Etc.

Thanks for clarifying this, now this question seems a lot easier. By the way do you know if there is anyway you can mark this thread as complete or solved? Or do you just leave it be when the homework is solved?

And again thanks to you and TSny for helping me!

ClearWhey said:
if there is anyway you can mark this thread as complete or solved?
(@berkeman)
There had been requests for such a feature for quite a while, and finally it was implemented. Shortly afterwards, there was a major upgrade to the whole system and the feature disappeared.
Various other retrograde changes happened at the same time: subscript and superscript, except via Latex, was lost (now reinstated under the "..." pull down). But the most annoying is that clicking on Quote to some text in post #1 results in the whole of the Homework Statement and Relevant Equations sections being quoted as well as the selected text. Since I often want to quote several parts of post #1 and respond to them individually, I then have to go laboriously through deleting pages of duplication.

haruspex said:
But the most annoying is that clicking on Quote to some text in post #1 results in the whole of the Homework Statement and Relevant Equations sections being quoted as well as the selected text. Since I often want to quote several parts of post #1 and respond to them individually, I then have to go laboriously through deleting pages of duplication.

I found that if you highlight the text you want to quote, a little pop-up comes up with 'quote' and 'reply' options. If you hit 'reply', then it'll only copy that part into your text box, and not the whole post. One caveat is that it doesn't work for LateX. Do you have that feature too?

etotheipi said:
I found that if you highlight the text you want to quote, a little pop-up comes up with 'quote' and 'reply' options. If you hit 'reply', then it'll only copy that part into your text box, and not the whole post. One caveat is that it doesn't work for LateX. Do you have that feature too?
I just tried that and it did the same as Quote, just immediately instead of needing to click Insert Quotes.
Another behaviour I forgot to mention is that if you highlight a part of Homework Statement and Relevant Equations then you can do a Copy but there is no quote /reply option.
None of these have ever worked with Latex. There used to be another option, something about Mathjax?, which revealed the latex source in a popup and you could copy that. Reply of the whole post copies the latex ok, and I often do that just to get the latex, then delete all the rest.

Likes etotheipi

1. How does the weight of the person affect how far they can climb up the ladder before it starts sliding?

The weight of the person does have an impact on how far they can climb up the ladder before it starts sliding. The heavier the person, the more force is applied to the ladder, making it more likely to slide. It is important to follow weight restrictions and safety guidelines when using a ladder.

2. What type of surface should the ladder be placed on for optimal stability?

The surface that the ladder is placed on can greatly affect its stability. Ideally, the ladder should be placed on a flat, level surface. Avoid using the ladder on surfaces that are uneven, slippery, or soft, as these can increase the risk of the ladder sliding.

3. Is there a maximum height that a person can climb up a ladder before it starts sliding?

There is no specific maximum height for climbing up a ladder before it starts sliding. However, it is important to consider the height of the ladder in relation to its weight capacity and the weight of the person using it. It is always best to err on the side of caution and follow safety guidelines.

4. Can the angle of the ladder affect how far a person can climb before it starts sliding?

Yes, the angle of the ladder can have an impact on its stability. The ladder should be placed at a 75-degree angle for optimal stability. If the angle is too steep, the ladder may be more likely to slide.

5. Are there any safety precautions that can be taken to prevent the ladder from sliding?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that can be taken to prevent the ladder from sliding. These include making sure the ladder is on a stable surface, using a ladder with a weight capacity that is appropriate for the person using it, and following proper climbing techniques (such as facing the ladder and keeping three points of contact at all times).