How far do gamma rays extend from an accelerator?

In summary, The HERMES III accelerator is capable of delivering a peak dose of ~100 krad (CaF2) over a useful area of ~1000cm2 in a pulse lasting 20ns. The radius of a circle with area 1000 cm2 is 7 inches, making it about the size of a pizza. When it comes to gamma radiation, the safe distance is "once you're behind the shielding". In a nuclear explosion, the gamma radiation will keep extending until stopped by a barrier or shield. The size of 1000cm2 is relative and can be considered large depending on the context. To convert cm^2 to radius in inches, you can search for specific conversions online.
Rev. Cheeseman
According to https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/7234564, the HERMES III which stand for High Energy Radiation Megavolt Electron Source accelerator is "capable of delivering a peak dose of ~100 krad (CaF2) over a useful area of ~1000cm2 (area where dose is greater than 50% of the peak dose) in a pulse on the order of 20ns".

I'm bad at math but I'm curious, is area of 1000cm2 after we convert to radius in feet is indeed a large area? How do we convert 1000cm2 to feet?

Physics news on Phys.org
wonderingchicken said:
How do we convert 1000cm2 to feet?

You don't. One is an area, the other is a length.

The radius of a circle with area 1000 cm2 is 7 inches. About the size of a pizza.

wonderingchicken said:
What is the safe distance from gamma rays

That's a completely different question, and the answer is "once you're behind the shielding".

Likes davenn
Vanadium 50 said:
You don't. One is an area, the other is a length.

The radius of a circle with area 1000 cm2 is 7 inches. About the size of a pizza.
That's a completely different question, and the answer is "once you're behind the shielding".
So it is considered as a "large area" only when we are talking about gamma rays then. Correct?

So in a nuclear explosion, the gamma radiation keeps extending as long as there is no barrier, shield, etc.?

wonderingchicken said:
So it is considered as a "large area" only when we are talking about gamma rays then. Correct?
I don't know if you are understanding what is being measured. If I'm understanding correctly, the device behaves a bit like a laser pointer, but emitting very powerful gamma rays instead of light. The 1000cm2 is the size of the spot it makes on the wall.
wonderingchicken said:
So in a nuclear explosion, the gamma radiation keeps extending as long as there is no barrier, shield, etc.?
Gamma radiation is just like light only higher frequency. It'll keep going in a straight line until stopped. But (like the visible flash from an explosion) the radiation spreads out, so is dimmer the further away you are. So the further away you are from an explosion the better. With something emitting a beam, like the HERMES device you cited, the radiation spreads much less - so you either need to be begind a shield or not in the line of fire.

wonderingchicken said:

I don't know. How long is a piece of string? 14" diameter is huge if you're talking about silicon wafers, and not so huge if you're talking about buildings. For pizza, 14" is large, 16" is extra large.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't know. How long is a piece of string? 14" diameter is huge if you're talking about silicon wafers, and not so huge if you're talking about buildings. For pizza, 14" is large, 16" is extra large.

Gotcha. How do we convert cm^2 to radius in inches? I tried some online converters but I'm not sure if they are correct.

wonderingchicken said:
Gotcha. How do we convert cm^2 to radius in inches? I tried some online converters but I'm not sure if they are correct.
Have you tried searching "cm^2 to square inches" then "radius from circle area"?

Likes Vanadium 50

1. How far do gamma rays travel from an accelerator?

Gamma rays can travel for varying distances depending on the energy of the particles being accelerated. Typically, they can travel up to several kilometers from the accelerator before dissipating.

2. Can gamma rays travel through solid objects?

Yes, gamma rays have high penetrating power and can travel through solid objects such as walls and even human bodies. However, the thickness and density of the object can affect the distance the gamma rays can travel.

3. Do gamma rays have a specific range or distance they can travel?

Yes, gamma rays have a specific range determined by their energy level. The higher the energy, the further they can travel before dissipating. However, other factors such as the surrounding environment and the presence of other particles can also affect their range.

4. How are gamma rays measured from an accelerator?

Gamma rays are measured using specialized detectors such as Geiger counters or scintillation detectors. These devices can detect the energy and intensity of the gamma rays emitted from the accelerator.

5. Can gamma rays be harmful to humans?

Yes, high levels of exposure to gamma rays can be harmful to humans. However, the risk of exposure is significantly reduced due to the shielding and safety protocols in place at accelerator facilities. Additionally, the distance from the accelerator also plays a role in minimizing the potential harm from gamma rays.