How Far Will a Coin Roll Before Stopping?

In summary, the problem involves a coin with a diameter of 3.45 cm, an angular speed of 11.4 rad/s, and an angular deceleration of -.96 rad/s. The question is asking how far the coin will roll before coming to a stop. To solve this, the diameter was converted to meters and then used to calculate linear velocity and acceleration. Plugging these values into a kinematics equation results in a distance of 5.94 m.
ruck101
Here's the problem:

diameter = 3.45 cm
angular speed = 11.4 rad/s
angular deceleration = -.96 rad/s

How far does the coin roll before coming to a stop?

How would I set this problem up? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember

[tex] v = r \omega [/tex]

[tex] a = r \alpha [/tex]

thanks for the reply.
ok, I converted 3.45 cm to m = .0345 m
then, I got the linear velocity = 11.4 x .0345 = .3933 m/s
next, I got the linear acceleration = -.96 x .0345 = -.03312 m/s^2

ok, I plug all of this into a kinematics equation and get 5.94 m, does this sound right? Thanks!

r is radius...you must change the diameter to radius

dang, I did that the first time I tried this..lol. ok let me reattempt this.

I get the same exact thing.

Anyone...?

Related to How Far Will a Coin Roll Before Stopping?

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves the study of torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. How is rotational dynamics different from linear dynamics?

Rotational dynamics deals with the motion of objects that rotate, while linear dynamics deals with the motion of objects that move in a straight line. Additionally, rotational dynamics uses different equations and concepts, such as moments of inertia and angular momentum, compared to linear dynamics.

3. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

Torque is the rotational equivalent of force, and it causes an object to rotate around a fixed axis. The relationship between torque and angular acceleration is described by the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. This means that the greater the torque, the greater the angular acceleration.

4. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a rotating object?

The moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around the axis of rotation. The formula for calculating the moment of inertia is I = mr², where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass.

5. Can you apply rotational dynamics to real-world situations?

Yes, rotational dynamics has many real-world applications, such as in the design of machines, vehicles, and sports equipment. It is also used in understanding the motion of celestial bodies and in the study of the Earth's rotation. Rotational dynamics is an important tool for engineers and physicists in analyzing and predicting the behavior of rotating systems.