How Fast Can Neutron Stars Spin Before Losing Surface Material?

In summary: Escape velocity is not necessary in this problem. The force due to gravity must be equal to the centrifugal force at the equator. This can be solved using a force balance. In summary, we discuss the properties of neutron stars and their formation from supernova explosions. We also determine the greatest possible angular speed of a spherical neutron star with twice the mass of the Sun and a radius of 5.0 km, in order for matter at its equator to be held in orbit by gravitational force. It is not necessary to find escape velocity, and the problem can be solved using a force balance and considering the object to be weightless.
kim3648
Neutron stars are extremely dense objects that are formed from the remnants of supernova explosions. Many rotate very rapidly. Suppose that the mass of a certain spherical neutron star is twice the mass of the Sun and its radius is 5.0 km. Determine the greatest possible angular speed it can have so that the matter at the surface of the star on its equator is just held in orbit by the gravitational force.

First I would find escape velocity
https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/11/112728-0.png
And using that velocity as the tangent I could find the angular velocity? Is that a correct assumption?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, this problem is a little tricky in disguise. If matter at the equator is JUST held on my gravity, that means the object is ALMOST weightless. Use a force balance and set that equal to m*centripedal acceleration and then ask yourself what it means to be weightless. Where does that get you?

I think you have my question confused with that of the person below me !

That's interesting. I think you have your question confused with another one! No, but really...you can do your problem either way. It's just easier the way I said in my opinion.

kim3648 said:
First I would find escape velocity
https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/11/112728-0.png
And using that velocity as the tangent I could find the angular velocity? Is that a correct assumption?

It's not necessary here to find escape velo. The force due to gravity should be equal to the centrifugal force at the equator. The same as dwintz02 said.

Last edited by a moderator:
dwintz02 said:
That's interesting. I think you have your question confused with another one! No, but really...you can do your problem either way. It's just easier the way I said in my opinion.

He can't do it using escape velocity.

Related to How Fast Can Neutron Stars Spin Before Losing Surface Material?

1. What is Universal Gravitation?

Universal Gravitation is a physical law that explains the force of attraction between all objects in the universe. It states that every object with mass attracts every other object with mass, and the strength of this attraction is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered Universal Gravitation?

Isaac Newton is credited with discovering Universal Gravitation in the 17th century. He formulated the law of gravitation and published it in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" in 1687.

3. How does Universal Gravitation affect objects on Earth?

Universal Gravitation is responsible for the force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth, keeping them in orbit and causing objects to fall towards the ground. It also affects the tides and the motion of celestial bodies in our solar system.

4. Is Universal Gravitation the same as gravity?

Yes, Universal Gravitation and gravity are used interchangeably to describe the same phenomenon. However, Universal Gravitation is a scientific law that explains the force of gravity, while gravity is the actual force of attraction between objects with mass.

5. How is Universal Gravitation related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity expanded on Newton's laws of gravitation, providing a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of gravity. It states that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. This theory has been proven to be more accurate in extreme situations, such as near black holes.