What Is Your Typing Speed on a Standard QWERTY Keyboard?

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary: I don't know why, but it seems like people on this forum can't take a compliment. I really don't know what to do about it. If you have any thoughts, please let me know. Thanks!
QuantumTheory
(Damn it! I just broke my only good keyboard with an arch, the "N" key is broken somehow. So I can probably only do 110 or so now. The proper arch is VERY important) If I can figure out how to print the screen I will

How fast can you type on a standard, QWERTY keyboard?

Dear Kevin ,

Thank you for assessing your typing skills with
the free TypingMaster Online Test - and welcome back
to www.TypingTest.com.

TYPING TEST RESULTS

Here are your full test results:

- Test Name: Tigers in the Wild
- Date: 2006-01-04 15:32
- Test Time: 01:00
- Gross Speed: 127 WPM
- Errors: 6
- Accuracy: 95%

- NET SPEED: 121 WPM

GET AN OFFICIAL TYPING CERTIFICATE

Do you need to prove your typing skills to
improve your employment opportunities?

Complete a certified typing test and get a
hardcopy Typing Skills Certificate with
your test results by mail.

For more information click here:

> http://www.TypingTest.com/certificate/

PERFECT YOUR TYPING SKILLS

If you want to perfect your typing skills and save
your valuable time try out the professional
TypingMaster typing tutor.

To download a free demo, click here:

> http://www.TypingMaster.com/tutor

Best Regards,

TypingMaster Team
www.TypingMaster.com

--------------------------------------------------
If you consider this email an unsolicited spam
email, please click here to contact us:
http://www.TypingMaster.com/contact/

--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.371 / Virus Database: 267.14.12/220 - Release Date:
1/3/2006

The problem with this keyboard? I don't know. The keys are very hard to type on, and it makes me do a lot of errors. I'm very, very sick of it. And I'm heartbroken my only good keyboard (That ive' had for 5 years+) broken all of a sudden, for no reason. It was working today at 6 AM. I went to bed, woke up at 3 PM, my mom said it didn't work (the n key).

Bummer. I can probably do 110 on this keyboard, but I will make a lot more errors since it doesn't have an arch.

I'm 17, was addicted to an online MMORPG MUD based game called Gemstone III (Now GemtsoneIV) www.play.net/gs4

Got banned after 4 years. Learned to type when I was 7 though, with a program called "Read, write, and type" I may be able to (with a lot more practice and a different keyboard type) be able to be one of the worlds fastest typers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
'Since basically everyone on this forum doubts me and thinks I said I'm some super intelligent genius (Which I never, ever said) I'm sure people will doubt I can type this fast.'
Why do you assume others make an immediate link between ingelligence and fast typing? That's an insult to their intelligence. If you don't, and it's sarcasm, then it is a barb inciting them. Either way, it's not a very smart move.
Fast typing is more a result of practice than intelligence. However, it is still a valuable skill and you should be proud of it. :smile:

QuantumTheory said:
How fast can you type on a standard, QWERTY keyboard?
I'm proud to say I can type about as fast as I think: about ten words a minute.

Much faster than me, my net speed was only 60wpm.

I keep falling asleep... i think i have ADD.

ascky said:
'Since basically everyone on this forum doubts me and thinks I said I'm some super intelligent genius (Which I never, ever said) I'm sure people will doubt I can type this fast.'
Why do you assume others make an immediate link between ingelligence and fast typing? That's an insult to their intelligence. If you don't, and it's sarcasm, then it is a barb inciting them. Either way, it's not a very smart move.
Fast typing is more a result of practice than intelligence. However, it is still a valuable skill and you should be proud of it. :smile:

:smile:

Huh? Since when did I equate intelligence with typing? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard on tihs forum! Heh, you people keep thinking of the oddest things. I just said that everyone here thinks I said I'm some child prodigy (which I never mentioned, just asked simple questions about what was talent, for example, playing by ear. Everyone told me everyone else could do that, which wasn't true. Every other forum I've asked this question people do NOT agree with you people.)

which I never once said I was.

Therefore, do me a favor please

Any thread that I mention myself, or how fast I can type (in conjunection with a question, like this one) people make odd-ball comments like that, etc. However, looka ta ll the other threads where I didn't mention myself, big difference.

I'm going to edit this post because whenever I mention myself, or anything, it goes sour.

Hmmm i only got 106 adjusted... guess I've slowed down over the years... obviously WPM is not related to intelligence :smile: :smile: :smile:

There isn't really a meaningful classical description of how fast I type, you need to take into account special relativity. For example, the classical redshift equations say my fingers should appear orange when they're receding, when in fact they're in the deep infrared.

o:)

rachmaninoff said:
There isn't really a meaningful classical description of how fast I type, you need to take into account special relativity. In fact, the classical redshift equations say my fingers should appear orange when they're receding, when in fact they're in the deep infrared.

I don't think you need to take into consideration relativistic effects when your typing speed is <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<c

Pengwuino said:
I don't think you need to take into consideration relativistic effects when your typing speed is <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<c

You do when it's my typing speed.

rachmaninoff said:
You do when it's my typing speed.

Whose typing do you think i was talking about :-p

I kept kinda falling asleep during the test. I'd get to a word and just kinda get stuck there and stare at it for a few seconds.

rachmaninoff said:
There isn't really a meaningful classical description of how fast I type, you need to take into account special relativity. For example, the classical redshift equations say my fingers should appear orange when they're receding, when in fact they're in the deep infrared.
How fast can you take a colorblindness test?

Jeez my gross speed is only 84 WPM. :frown: I practiced two more times and got 96 WPM.

Last edited:
88 words per min! Go to hell stupid test!:cry:

zoobyshoe said:
How fast can you take a colorblindness test?

I don't need color vision to type, I just use the HTML color tags, <color="Orange">, and <color="Deep Infrared">.

Pengwuino said:
Hmmm i only got 106 adjusted... guess I've slowed down over the years... obviously WPM is not related to intelligence :smile: :smile: :smile:

Adjusted?

That's pretty good. First person I've seen on any forum that can get over 100 WPM.

It took me constant practice. (Well that's what text based online RPG's do to you on the internet)

I didn't get out of my room, ate in there, went to the bathroom in my room, yeah it was pretty bad. There was no graphics, just typing.

I did this for 4 years, before I mouthed off to a GameMaster and got banned.

Oh well.

It actually seems like my typing has improevd, with all the time i spend on forums

Hmm, with my other keyboard that I broke (which has an arch) and a normak keyboard not a special one that does more typing speed (The vowels are plaecd ina special spot, therefore takes less time to type) I bet I could do 150 WPM for 5 minutes (and maintain it for that long)

Kinda scary I can type this fast without stopping, for 5 minutes, I'm only 30 WPM away from 150.

Also, the worlds fastest person used the special keyboard for 150 WPM, I could almost do this with a normal keyboard. (highest I've gotten was 132 WPM, with 89% accuracy)

But the fastest typer has a lot more accuracy than me, a lot better than 97%, which is what I got, 120 WPM with 97 percent (on another test I took)

I just *Might* be able to beat the record if I get at yping job

By the way, I need someones advice here. Do you think I could do wel with a typing job( Typing documents up for sony, or something?)

Plus, the worlds fastest typer was like 50, I'm 17

But the fastest typer in the world could do 212 on a special keyboard. (DAMN! Is it that good? I heard stories that some guy who could only do 50 WPM on a qwerty keyboard could do over a 100 on this different one..i got to try it out)

Last edited:
rachmaninoff said:
I don't need color vision to type, I just use the HTML color tags, <color="Orange">, and <color="Deep Infrared">.
I see. But what kind of metering system are you using to determine the colorshift of your speedy, relativistic digits?

Oh dear, not this self proclaiming prodigy stuff again...:rolleyes: Is typing really that important anyways? I think sony pays Indians and chinese with low wage salaries to type all their documents. Though the best stuff comes out of china. I had stickers for a model airplane once that should have read 'tie down', 'no step', that were printed 'the down', and 'not step'. Ahh, good ole engrish. www.engrish.com

http://sominfo.syr.edu/facstaff/dvorak/blackburn.html

EDIT: 110wpm

Last edited by a moderator:
Her top speed was recorded at 212 wpm

Some people need a different hobby.

I don't type; I just think really hard at my computer.

I've never been very good at typing really. I have to look at the keyboard while I type and any letters that I don't use commonly I have to stop and look for. I had a class for typing in HS but I could never get the handle on using the home row keys and not looking at the keyboard.
I've always blamed my inability to remember where the keys are on my dyslexia.
If you learn short hand you may be able to become a court stynographer(sp?) or something of the sort. I think that they use a sort of short hand.

My typing speed is about 80, but I think slowly so it doesn't matter.

The "other" type of keyboard that you (Quantum Theory) are referring to is most likely one in the Dvorak setting. It has all of the vowels where a s d f g are located.

TheStatutoryApe said:
If you learn short hand you may be able to become a court stynographer(sp?) or something of the sort. I think that they use a sort of short hand.
Shorthand is fun! Especially Gregg shorthand. A lot of secretaries ~20 yrs knew shorthand. In court, they use special stenographer typewriters, though recently, when I was in jury duty, the stenographer just spoke into a special microphone, presumably saying what was going on in the courtroom as everyone was being recorded seperately.

QuantumTheory said:
But the fastest typer in the world could do 212 on a special keyboard. (DAMN! Is it that good? I heard stories that some guy who could only do 50 WPM on a qwerty keyboard could do over a 100 on this different one..i got to try it out)
Yes, a Dvorak keyboard is that good. The biggest difference is fatigue. A person might be able to type very fast for a short period of time on a Qwerty keyboard, but their fingers will tire and they'll slow down and begin to juxtapose letters (the left hand starts to slow down sooner than the right hand for right handers).

The qwerty keyboard was specially designed to slow typists down. The original mechanical typewriter was never designed for speed and manufacturers were a little perplexed when typists began to memorize the keyboard and began to type so fast that the keys would jam (the key from the previous letter didn't have time to get out of the way before the next key was arriving). Instead of facing constant complaints about a lousy product that kept jamming, typewriter manufacturers began to strategically place key letters in inconvenient locations. Inconvenient locations would slow typists down, giving the keys time to get out of the way before the next key arrived. People seldom complained about their own lack of typing speed, since that was their own personal limitation vs. a mechanical defect.

The difference between using a keyboard designed to slow you down and a keyboard designed to maximize your speed is dramatic, especially over the course of a day where fatigue would play a part. (I use the traditional qwerty keyboard - using a Dvorak keyboard might be nice for your own computer, but if you have to use other computers, you still have to be able to type on a traditional qwerty keyboard).

BobG said:
...typewriter manufacturers began to strategically place key letters in inconvenient locations...
I've have heard this, and it is fairly commonly accepted, but sometimes I wonder...

Perhaps they weren't rearranging them to deliberately slow down typing so much as they were rearranging them directly so that the swing arms of commonly used key combinations collided less. While it would still slow the typists down, it would do so only as a side effect, rather than the intended effect.

Seems more plausible (and less urban legend-like) to me.

BobG said:
Yes, a Dvorak keyboard is that good. The biggest difference is fatigue. A person might be able to type very fast for a short period of time on a Qwerty keyboard, but their fingers will tire and they'll slow down and begin to juxtapose letters (the left hand starts to slow down sooner than the right hand for right handers).
The qwerty keyboard was specially designed to slow typists down. The original mechanical typewriter was never designed for speed and manufacturers were a little perplexed when typists began to memorize the keyboard and began to type so fast that the keys would jam (the key from the previous letter didn't have time to get out of the way before the next key was arriving). Instead of facing constant complaints about a lousy product that kept jamming, typewriter manufacturers began to strategically place key letters in inconvenient locations. Inconvenient locations would slow typists down, giving the keys time to get out of the way before the next key arrived. People seldom complained about their own lack of typing speed, since that was their own personal limitation vs. a mechanical defect.
The difference between using a keyboard designed to slow you down and a keyboard designed to maximize your speed is dramatic, especially over the course of a day where fatigue would play a part. (I use the traditional qwerty keyboard - using a Dvorak keyboard might be nice for your own computer, but if you have to use other computers, you still have to be able to type on a traditional qwerty keyboard).

I see. Do you think I could switch to one? I'm 17, and i plan to perhaps get a typing job. What do you think the odds are of me being one of the worlds fastest typers? I don't think I'm that far off, I can do 130 WPM on a normal slow down keyboard QWERTY, with over 90 percent accuracy now.

I just don't want to switch to one because intially my speed will be slow right? As I get used to it? How am I supposed to learn to type on it anyway?

QuantumTheory,

Don't get a typing job. Data-entry positions are typically temporary, low-pay positions with high turn-over, poor working conditions, and little respect. If you come to work 10 minutes late to such a lousy job, you can expect to be replaced. Keep in mind that, for data-entry purposes, accuracy is usually much more important than speed, anyway. Accurate typists are a dime a dozen, as almost anyone with a functioning brain can type accurately with some care. While typing speed used to be an important skill for secretaries in the typewriter era, computer savvy is now a much more important skill to have.

Don't worry about your typing. Really. You're already a good typist, and there's little reason to improve that skill any further. Go to college and learn something that will distinguish you from other potential employees. I have coworkers, extremely successful integrated circuit designers, who know more about electronics than 99% of the people on the planet, are indispensable to the company, and enjoy a pleasant, rewarding work environment. These people also type about 4 words per minute, and have no interest in bothering to improve that.

- Warren

although I totally aggree with everything you say Chroot.. BUT Are you serious:

hese people also type about 4 words per minute, and have no interest in bothering to improve that.

hehe.. I am a bad typist about all I can do is

sh run
li config all
traffic tree

:-)

But I reckon I can do more than 4/min

Ive seen people do 4 wpm

same here with there elbows

Anttech said:
although I totally aggree with everything you say Chroot.. BUT Are you serious:
Honestly, I pretty much am serious. I've seen people typing on a Unix commandline so poorly that you almost want to scream in agony when watching them. They have to backspace through every word they type, hunt and peck for any 'unusual' keys like / or *, and generally take two minutes to compose a single command. This same coworker has become extremely adept and copying and pasting things with the mouse (on Unix, copying and pasting involves only highlighting and clicking the middle mouse button). Oddly enough, I type well enough that I rarely ever bother to copy-and-paste, because I usually type a command faster than I can reach for the mouse.

- Warren

hehe... that's funny :)

QuantumTheory said:
I see. Do you think I could switch to one? I'm 17, and i plan to perhaps get a typing job. What do you think the odds are of me being one of the worlds fastest typers? I don't think I'm that far off, I can do 130 WPM on a normal slow down keyboard QWERTY, with over 90 percent accuracy now.
I just don't want to switch to one because intially my speed will be slow right? As I get used to it? How am I supposed to learn to type on it anyway?
You probably already have a Dvorak keyboard layout loaded in your computer.

If you have Windows XP, go to Control Panel and select "Language, and Regional Options". Then choose "Regional and Langauge Options". Under the "Language" tab, select "Details". Highlight "Keyboard" and select "Add". Click the Keyboard Layout box - the "United States - Dvorak" should already be in the box. Otherwise, click the arrow key and you have many, many choices of keyboard layout. You even have the option of a right-handed Dvorak keyboard or a left-handed Dvorak keyboard (you want to type the most common letters with your strongest hand). Click OK when you've added the keyboard layout you want.

This doesn't change the keyboard layout. It just adds a new icon in your system tray or a new shortcut on your desktop. You click on the icon in the system tray and you should have the option of using either the standard keyboard or the Dvorak keyboard (or any other layouts you added). You can switch back and forth between the layouts as desired by clicking on the icon and selecting the desired layout.

It's fun to try it out, but you need a period of time where you have no real typing to do in order to learn the new keyboard layout if you really want to use a Dvorak keyboard. Switching back and forth between layouts is a really hard way to learn a new keyboard.

I've never found a big enough block of time. Plus, as others have said, typing fast doesn't mean a whole lot in today's world. The main reason to learn it is to reduce fatigue. Your fingers rarely venture off of the home row on a Dvorak keyboard.

DaveC426913 said:
I've have heard this, and it is fairly commonly accepted, but sometimes I wonder...

Perhaps they weren't rearranging them to deliberately slow down typing so much as they were rearranging them directly so that the swing arms of commonly used key combinations collided less. While it would still slow the typists down, it would do so only as a side effect, rather than the intended effect.

Seems more plausible (and less urban legend-like) to me.
The five most common letters are E, A, T, O, N, (I think). The only possible configuration they could find to reduce collisions left only one of those letters on the home row? And the only letter on the home row had to use the little finger of the left hand?

Besides, the keys on typewriters all hit the same spot - it's the paper that moves. All of the collisions occur in the space every single key has to pass through.

88 Miles Per Hour 88 Miles Per Hour!

Bleck, what a horrid test! I typed 60 wpm, 100% accuracy, but that's because I had to slow down enough to copy their grammatical errors accurately (if you insert a comma automatically where there should be a comma but they don't have one, you lose points for accuracy). Having briefly relied on secretaries to do my typing, it doesn't mean anything if they can type rapidly if it isn't 100% accurate (it used to drive me nuts that I'd have to give them the same letter to type 4 times because they kept making mistakes in the middle), and it doesn't mean anything if they don't have excellent grammatical skills to either catch your mistakes, punctuate correctly from dictation (this is still something secretaries are used for when typing up minutes from meetings or writing up a transcript of a phone conversation), or know to NOT change things you wrote correctly. Those are the important skills in a secretary/typist, not speed. I actually don't think accurate typists are a dime a dozen, I think fast typists are. It shouldn't be difficult to find accurate typists, because as was said, anyone who takes a care can type with 100% accuracy, but the problem is finding people who take that level of care. This is rampant through all sorts of jobs, not just typing, that require attention to details.

For the most part, with everyone using computers to do their own typing as they think, the need for typists is decreasing. QT, it's really not a job to aspire to. If you can improve your accuracy, it's always a good skill in case you ever find yourself unemployed and NEED to take a typing job, but you'll find more satisfaction getting the education needed to do a job that requires thinking rather than just copying words. Of course, it's always the sort of job you could do to help pay your way through school, in which case it's certainly better than flipping burgers.