How fast does gravity move and does it have momentum?

In summary, the sun would have to teleport for gravitational waves to not have momentum. If gravity waves traveled at the speed of light, then the sun would have to teleport for 8.3 minutes.
stripes
This isn't really a "homework" question, this is just a question that a friend and I came up with a few months ago. I'm currently in grade 11 taking physics 11 honours, and far above the rest of my class :smile: :smile: :smile:

Let's just say, IF the sun teleported instantaneously to a far away place in the unverse, in a way such that there is no less matter in the universe at any time, the amount of matter in the universe always remains the same. How long would it for the gravitational field that the sun had to dissipate. How long would the Earth stay in orbit for? Would it be 8.3 minutes (same as Speed of Light in a Vacuum)? Would it be instantaneous? Basically what I'm TRYING to ask is, how "fast" does gravity "move"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you suppose any field including a gravitational one could buck the speed of light? Fields have velocity and momentum.

Gravitational waves, it is supposed, travel at the speed of light. Special relativity tells us that no signal can exceed the speed of light in vacuum.

Well, I understand how gravity can have velocity, but how does it have momentum if it is not matter? How can it have a tendency to move in a certain direction? This obviously wouldn't be found with p = mv, nor could it be found with p = hv/c, as that is for photons. Also, from what I've heard, there have supposedly been times where Alain Haché sent pulses at a group velocity of three times the speed of light. It has been possible to also make the group velocity of a laser beam travel at nearly 300 times c through caesium atoms.

And from Mentz posted, whether waves or particles associated with gravity have momenta. What would be interesting is that there is a peculiar discrepancy in our world where charge comes in two flavors and can either exert or repel, and in motion create magnetism. Whereas mass is always attractional and so far as I know it, does not exert an additional force in motion, except whatever ripples thru space-time might exist. I don't pretend to know the answer to such, maybe someone else can help.

Related to How fast does gravity move and does it have momentum?

1. What is gravitational dissipation?

Gravitational dissipation is the process by which energy is converted from the gravitational potential energy of an object to heat or other forms of energy through friction or collisions.

2. How does gravitational dissipation occur?

Gravitational dissipation occurs when objects with large masses and high velocities come into close proximity and interact with each other. This can happen in celestial bodies such as planets, stars, and galaxies, as well as in smaller objects on Earth.

3. What are some examples of gravitational dissipation?

Some examples of gravitational dissipation include tidal heating in moons and planets, frictional heating in asteroids and comets, and the formation of gravitational waves in the merging of two black holes.

4. How does gravitational dissipation affect planetary systems?

Gravitational dissipation plays a crucial role in the evolution of planetary systems. It can lead to changes in the orbits of planets, the formation of planetary rings, and the heating of planets and moons.

5. Can gravitational dissipation be harnessed as a source of energy?

While gravitational dissipation does release energy, it is not a viable source of energy for human use. The amount of energy released is relatively small and it is difficult to control or harness in a practical way.