How Fx = F(4/5) in this diagram?

• Thread starter Benjamin_harsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnitude of ##\vec{F_x}## in relation to the angle between ##\vec{F}## and ##\vec{F_y}##. The correct formula for calculating ##\vec{F_x}## is determined to be |F|cos θ, with θ being the angle between ##\vec{F}## and ##\vec{F_x}##. The conversation also acknowledges the importance of understanding math in order to excel in physics.
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Fx = F(4/5)

##Fx = F\frac{4}{5}##

I am confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine that you are given an angle between the ##\vec{F}## and ##\vec{F_y}## instead of the small triangle in the diagram. How would you calculate the magnitude of ##\vec{F_x}##?

Then, can you find a way how to get this angle from the small triangle shown in the diagram?

If I am not mistaken, I would say ##\vec{F_x} = F_x.cos\theta##
Any one would be correct.

Last edited:
Benjamin_harsh said:
If I am not mistaken, I would say ##\vec{F_x} = F_x.sin\theta## or ##\vec{F_x} = F_x.cos\theta##

You are mistaken.

First of all, you need to DEFINE where this "θ" is. There are at least 2 angles there, one made between F and Fx, the other between F and Fy.

If θ is the angle between F and Fx, then

Fx = |F|cos θ

BTW, it appears that you are having a lot of problem with math. This really isn't a physics question. This is not meant as a put-down, but rather to make you realize the source of your problems so that you may want to do something about it. Many of my students think that physics is tough, when what they are having problems with is not the physics, but the math. It seems that you are in the same situation.

Zz.

Benjamin_harsh said:
If I am not mistaken, I would say

I suggested the angle between ##\vec{F}## and ##\vec{F_y}## for a reason: I think it is easier to spot the same angle in the small triangle (just imagine that you can slide the triangle along the ##\vec{F}## toward the origin). But as already said, you can pick any of the angles, you just must stay consistent with your definition.
Also be careful "x" points vertically and "y" horizontally, that is a bit unconventional.

Related to How Fx = F(4/5) in this diagram?

1. How is Fx equal to F(4/5) in this diagram?

Fx is equal to F(4/5) in this diagram because the value of Fx is determined by the y-coordinate of the point where the graph of the function F intersects with the vertical line x=4/5. In other words, Fx represents the value of the function F at x=4/5.

2. Can you explain the meaning of F(4/5) in this diagram?

F(4/5) represents the output of the function F when the input is 4/5. In other words, it is the value of the function at the point where the x-coordinate is 4/5 on the graph.

3. How does the value of Fx differ from F(4/5) in this diagram?

The value of Fx represents the y-coordinate of the point where the graph of the function F intersects with the vertical line x=4/5. F(4/5) represents the output of the function F at the specific input of 4/5. While they may have the same value in some cases, they are not always the same.

4. What does the point (4/5, F(4/5)) indicate on this diagram?

The point (4/5, F(4/5)) indicates the specific output of the function F at the input of x=4/5. It is the point where the graph of the function intersects with the vertical line x=4/5.

5. How is F(4/5) calculated in this diagram?

F(4/5) is calculated by finding the y-coordinate of the point where the graph of the function F intersects with the vertical line x=4/5. This can be done by either using the equation of the function or by looking at the graph and determining the y-value at the given x-value of 4/5.