How great is the overlap of Philosophy and Physics?

CallMeDirac
For much of physics, its language is fundamentally math, but to a certain point, does philosophical thinking ever play an important part in creating or exploring physics?

It would seem, at least to me, that there is some significant overlap, given that much of understanding physics can't quite be rotely explained through equations alone (to my knowledge) and requires some more artistic thinking when trying to understand such concepts. Further, at a point, does the practice of putting those musings to math look similar to putting arguments to formal logic?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CallMeDirac said:
given that much of understanding physics can't quite be wrotely explained
Ha. You really had me going with that one. I couldn't figure out if you were using a word I'd never heard of or had invented your own word or just what the hell was going on. For some reason it took a good many seconds for me to realize you intended "rotely"

Likes russ_watters
phinds said:
Ha. You really had me going with that one. I couldn't figure out if you were using a word I'd never heard of or had invented your own word or just what the hell was going on. For some reason it took a good many seconds for me to realize you intended "rotely"
You saw nothing -_-

• Haha
Likes phinds
CallMeDirac said:
You saw nothing -_-
I spelt Planck wrong on here once. Luckily one of the guys pointed it out quickly so I corrected without no one seeing it. A close one.

Anyway philosophy? It is not discussed (allowed) directly on pf but there are recurrent discussions on measurement, observer, interpretations of QM and the nature of reality.

The discussions are very technical and sometimes the disagreements can boil down to the interpretation of a single word!

Einstein and Bohr were probably the first to start doing this following the quantum revolution https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohr–Einstein_debates

There are also discussions regarding John Bells work, EPR and entanglement and a few threads on Ontology https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...for-kids-hard-for-quantum-physicists.1007637/

“Mathematics is philosophy.” A comment by a mathematician on pf. It surprised me at the time but the great philosophers, Plato, Aristotle, Pythagoras mathematics/science and philosophy walked hand in hand all the way to Cantor, Russel and Turing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_mathematics

Also, Physics used to be called “natural philosophy.”

Plenty of crossing and foundation.

Likes BillTre and PeroK
pinball1970 said:
Also, Physics used to be called “natural philosophy.”
I think that there was a time when all of science was called "natural philosophy".
Probably before it was called science.

There is a lot of philosophy that has been discussed tangentially to other main foci of discussion.
I have done this and survived.
Philosophy as the main point of discussion will probably not work well here.

Likes russ_watters and pinball1970
This sounds a lot like "I don't do science, nor have I really studied it, but you're all doing it wrong!" And as evidence, we trot out the old "it seems to me".

This tends not to get any traction. Anywhere.

Likes PhDeezNutz, russ_watters and phinds
BillTre said:
Philosophy as the main point of discussion will probably not work well here.
I led with that, the OP has some sort of ban now though.

Likes BillTre
Yeah, the OP is on vacation for a bit, due to a number of reasons. No need to keep this thread open in the interim.

Likes pinball1970

1. What are the fundamental connections between philosophy and physics?

Philosophy and physics are interconnected through their foundational concerns about the nature of reality. Philosophy examines the fundamental nature of existence, reality, and knowledge, while physics seeks to understand the physical universe's laws and constituents. Both disciplines ask big questions about the universe, such as the nature of time, space, and matter, often leading to philosophical implications from physical theories.

2. How has philosophy influenced the development of physics?

Historically, philosophy has significantly influenced physics. Many early physicists were also philosophers, who used philosophical inquiry to guide their scientific investigations. For instance, the concept of determinism in physics, which suggests that all events are determined entirely by previously existing causes, has roots in philosophical discourse. Philosophers like Aristotle and Descartes have shaped the way early scientists viewed the physical world, which in turn influenced the formulation of scientific theories.

3. Can modern physics findings inform philosophical questions?

Yes, findings in modern physics often provide insights that are relevant to philosophy, particularly in areas such as metaphysics and epistemology. For example, the counterintuitive discoveries in quantum mechanics challenge our traditional notions of causality and reality, which has led to new philosophical interpretations and debates about the nature of existence and knowledge. Similarly, concepts like time dilation in relativity theory prompt reevaluation of our understanding of time as an absolute entity.

4. Are there specific philosophical concepts that are integral to theoretical physics?

Certain philosophical concepts, such as causality, determinism, and realism, play integral roles in theoretical physics. The interpretation of quantum mechanics, in particular, involves philosophical discussions about the role of the observer, the nature of reality, and the structure of knowledge. Philosophical debates about the interpretation of probability, for instance, are crucial in understanding the implications of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

5. How do physicists use philosophical methodologies in their work?

Physicists often employ philosophical methodologies, such as conceptual analysis and rigorous logic, in formulating and interpreting theories. The development of thought experiments, which are hypothetical scenarios used to explore the implications of theories, is a method borrowed from philosophical practices. These experiments help physicists and philosophers alike to ponder the consequences of theoretical principles in abstract and often counterintuitive scenarios, leading to deeper insights and sometimes revisions of existing theories.