How High and How Long Will the Apple Travel?

In summary, Maria throws an apple vertically upward from a height of 1.3 meters with an initial velocity of 2.4 m/s. Using the equation vf^2=Vi^2+2ay, it is determined that the apple will reach a friend in a treehouse 5.3 m above ground. To find the time before the apple hits the ground, several equations can be used, including y= (1/2)at^2+ vi t. By solving the quadratic equation, the time is determined to be .244 seconds. However, to find the total time before the apple hits the ground, the time to reach maximum height and the time to fall must be added together. This can be found by
lakhani7

Homework Statement

maria throws an apple vertically upward from a height of 1.3 meters with an initial velocity of 2.4 m/s.
A) will the apple reach a friend in a treehouse 5.3 m above ground
B)how long will the apple be in the air before it hits the the ground

Homework Equations

vf^2=Vi^2+2ay

The Attempt at a Solution

A) i was able to get the answer for number one using the equation above.
0^2=2.4^2+2(-9.81*y)
-5.76=-19.62y
.3m=Y
B)i am not able to get the time however. i used vf=vi+at and i was unable to get the time.
0=2.4+9.81t
the answer is .82 seconds.
if anyone can recommend me an equation to use i will be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try y= (1/2)at^2+ vi t.

Welcome to PF.

Here are some equations that might be useful.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

There are several ways to figure the answer to part b).

You can use the equation that relates y, Vy, and t and solve the quadratic for t.

You can also figure the time and height to get to maximum and then figure the time to fall.

V = a*t the first step is easy and you already have the height from part a).

Then all you have to do is figure the time to fall from that height and add in the first part.

nope that doesn't seem to help. i used the quadratic equation with it but to no avail

Your .244 secs is really just the time to the max height. You still have to add in the downward time to fall.

x = 1.3 + .3 = 1.6 = 1/2g*t2

thanks lowly pion will try

Related to How High and How Long Will the Apple Travel?

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is a type of motion where an object falls under the influence of gravity alone, with no other forces acting upon it. In free fall, the object experiences an acceleration of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) towards the center of the Earth.

2. How do I calculate the distance traveled in free fall?

The distance traveled in free fall can be calculated using the equation d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance traveled, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

3. What factors affect an object's free fall?

The only factor that affects an object's free fall is its mass. Heavier objects will fall at the same rate as lighter objects, but they will have a greater force of impact due to their mass.

4. How does air resistance affect free fall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect free fall by slowing down the object's acceleration. This is because air resistance creates an opposing force against the object's motion, reducing its speed and acceleration.

5. Can an object experience free fall in other environments besides Earth?

Yes, an object can experience free fall in any environment where there is a gravitational force present, such as on other planets or in space. The acceleration due to gravity may vary in different environments, but the concept of free fall remains the same.