How is an interference pattern changed by an external field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the deflection of an electron beam due to the diffracting of electrons and their wave-particle dualistic nature. It is mentioned that the Lorentz force mechanics usually apply to particulate trajectories, but in this case, the interference pattern is a result of electron matter wave interactions. The conversation also mentions the need for a better understanding of the mathematics involved in quantifying the deflection of the interference pattern. However, it is noted that there is no textbook treatment for such a quasi-Lorentz force effect on a diffracted electron beam.
tade
For example, through the diffracting of electrons and their wave-particle dualistic nature, its possible to produce an interference pattern.

And for the resulting electron beam, it will still be affected by the Lorentz force and be deflected by it. At the same time, the position(s) of the interference pattern will also be deflected.

and Lorentz force mechanics usually apply to particulate trajectories, but this time, the interference pattern is a result of electron matter wave interactions, and so I'd like to ask what are the mathematics of quantifying the deflection of the interference pattern.

Physics news on Phys.org
A "force picture" is usually not how QM is formulated.

Have you considered a book/class on QM? You are likely to make faster progress that way.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
tade said:
I'd like to ask what are the mathematics of quantifying the deflection of the interference pattern.
Then your thread title needs to be changed, because the answer to this question is "not by Lorentz force mechanics".

PeterDonis said:
your thread title needs to be changed
And I have now changed it to better reflect (a) what it looks like your actual question is, and (b) a question that can actually be answered.

Vanadium 50 said:
Have you considered a book/class on QM? You are likely to make faster progress that way.
yeah and i'd like to check, under which topic covers such a quasi-Lorentz force effect on a diffracted electron beam?

tade said:
For example, through the diffracting of electrons and their wave-particle dualistic nature, its possible to produce an interference pattern.

And for the resulting electron beam, it will still be affected by the Lorentz force and be deflected by it. At the same time, the position(s) of the interference pattern will also be deflected.

and Lorentz force mechanics usually apply to particulate trajectories, but this time, the interference pattern is a result of electron matter wave interactions, and so I'd like to ask what are the mathematics of quantifying the deflection of the interference pattern.
the matter waves would have group velocities of the electrons' velocities, apparently representing the particulate trajectories

tade said:
yeah
Well, then why don't you tell us what text you are using. We can surely recommend a better one, as the one you are using seems to be confusing you.

Likes vanhees71
tade said:
the matter waves would have group velocities of the electrons' velocities, apparently representing the particulate trajectories

Are you asking us or telling us?

tade said:
under which topic covers such a quasi-Lorentz force effect on a diffracted electron beam?
None. Go read post #3 again.

tade said:
We can't help you to find such a textbook treatment because none exists.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
We can't help you to find such a textbook treatment because none exists.
This is why I asked "Are you asking us or telling us?". It seems as if Tade is making something up himself, because a lot of what he says is wrong - or rather "not even wrong". But a textbook that shows him how things really are could be helpful in a way that asking us to explain to him something that only he believes to be true is not.

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
Are you asking us or telling us?
telling you my idea of what I think is the situation which is going on

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
tade said:
telling you my idea of what I think is the situation which is going on
You have already been told that this idea is wrong. There is no point in continuing the discussion if you are just going to repeat the same wrong idea.

Thread closed.

1. How does an external magnetic field affect an interference pattern?

An external magnetic field can alter the interference pattern by causing a shift in the position of the fringes. This shift is known as the Zeeman effect and occurs due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the charged particles in the interference pattern.

2. Can an external electric field change the wavelength of the interfering waves?

Yes, an external electric field can change the wavelength of the interfering waves. This is known as the Stark effect and occurs due to the interaction between the electric field and the charged particles in the interference pattern. The change in wavelength results in a change in the spacing of the fringes in the interference pattern.

3. How does the strength of the external field affect the interference pattern?

The strength of the external field can significantly impact the interference pattern. A stronger field will cause a larger shift in the position of the fringes, resulting in a more significant change in the interference pattern. This can be seen in both the Zeeman and Stark effects.

4. Can an interference pattern be completely destroyed by an external field?

Yes, an external field can completely destroy an interference pattern. This occurs when the field is strong enough to cause the interfering waves to no longer overlap and cancel each other out. Instead, the waves will be diffracted in different directions, resulting in a disrupted and distorted pattern.

5. How can an external field be used to manipulate an interference pattern?

An external field can be used to manipulate an interference pattern in various ways. For example, by adjusting the strength or direction of the field, the position and spacing of the fringes can be changed. This can be useful in applications such as optical tweezers, where an external electric field is used to manipulate small particles in an interference pattern.