How Is Buoyancy Calculated for a Cube Suspended in Mercury and Water?

• Thread starter patricks
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a suspended cube of iron and determining the height of the cube in mercury and water, given the density of each substance. The correct solution involves using Archimedes' law and considering the weight of the block compared to the weight of the displaced substances. The incorrect solution proposed by the teacher is likely due to the confusion of pressure and differences in pressure.
patricks

Homework Statement

A cube of iron 60 cm on each side is suspended between layers of mercury and water. The density of mercury is 13.6 g/cm^3. What height of the cube is in each liquid? What if the cube is made of lead?

Homework Equations

h=[tex]h_1[/tex] + [tex]h_2[/tex]=0.6 m
[tex]\rho_{Fe}[/tex]=7880 kg/m^3
[tex]\rho_{Pb}[/tex]=11300 kg/m^3
[tex]\rho_{Hg}[/tex]=13600 kg/m^3
[tex]\rho_{H2O}[/tex]=1000 kg/m^3

Where [tex]h_1[/tex] = height of the block in the Mercury, and [tex]h_2[/tex] = height of the block in the Water.

The Attempt at a Solution

F=0N=F_b - F_g
F_g=[tex]\rho_{Pb}[/tex]*A*h*g
F_b=[tex]\Delta P[/tex] * A=(P_f - P_i)*A
P_f = P_i + [tex]\rho_{H2O}[/tex]*h_2*g + [tex]\rho_{Hg}[/tex]*h_1*g
F_b=A*g*([tex]\rho_{H2O}[/tex]*h_2 + [tex]\rho_{Hg}[/tex]*h_1)
0N=A*g*([tex]\rho_{H2O}[/tex]*h_2 + [tex]\rho_{Hg}[/tex]*h_1) - [tex]\rho_{Pb}[/tex]*A*h*g
[tex]\rho_{H2O}[/tex]*h_2 + [tex]\rho_{Hg}[/tex]*h_1 = [tex]\rho_{Pb}[/tex]*h
h_2+h_1=0.6m
h_1=0.49m
h_2=0.11m

The way I thought through the problem is any pressure at the top of the block would be canceled by that same amount of pressure at the bottom of the block, so all I needed to calculate was the addition pressure at the bottom of the block (gauge pressure, I believe it is called), which I took to be the weight of the water displaced plus the weight of the mercury displaced.

This is NOT the solution my teacher came up with. My teachers solution requires the weight of water displaced to act in the same direction as the gravitational force on the block itself which results in a solution of [tex]h_1=0.506m, h_2=0.094m[/tex], which does not seem to make any sense to me. If this is indeed true, why is it true?

Also, how exactly do I do a new line in the Latex? Google suggests \\ or \newline, but neither of those seem to work in the "Preview Post" thing. Maybe if I submit it will fix itself, if not, I apologize for the broken Latex.

Okay submitting didn't work. Not sure what to try. Edit: deleted most of the tex stuff.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
patricks said:
This is NOT the solution my teacher came up with. My teachers solution requires the weight of water displaced to act in the same direction as the gravitational force on the block itself which results in a solution of [tex]h_1=0.506m, h_2=0.094m[/tex], which does not seem to make any sense to me. If this is indeed true, why is it true?

Your teacher was probably led astray by the fact that the water does press down on the block. We are only interested in the difference in pressure between the top and the bottom, and that difference is equal to a column of height h_2 of water on top of a column of height h_1 of mercury.

I think it's somewhat simpler to keep pressure out of it and use Archimedes law.

weight of the block = weight of displaced mercury + weight of displaced water

[tex] h \rho_{Pb} A g = h_1 \rho_{Hg} A g + h_2 \rho_{H20} A g [/tex] which is the same as you have.

Your Latex looked fine. There seems to be a problem with updating of the preview. I get to see a preview of a reply of mine in another thread. I hope it comes out right if I press "Submit Reply"

Related to How Is Buoyancy Calculated for a Cube Suspended in Mercury and Water?

1. How did Archimedes discover the principle of buoyancy?

Archimedes discovered the principle of buoyancy while he was taking a bath. He noticed that the water level rose as he got into the tub, and this led him to realize that the volume of water displaced by an object is equal to the volume of the object.

2. What is the principle of buoyancy?

The principle of buoyancy, also known as Archimedes' principle, states that the upward buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This force is what allows objects to float in water.

3. Can an object sink in a fluid if it is less dense than the fluid?

No, an object will not sink in a fluid if it is less dense than the fluid. According to Archimedes' principle, the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. Therefore, if the object is less dense than the fluid, it will experience an upward force that is greater than its weight, causing it to float.

4. Does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

Yes, the shape of an object does affect its buoyancy. The amount of water displaced by an object depends on its volume, so an object with a larger volume will displace more water and experience a greater buoyant force. Additionally, the shape of the object can also affect how the water is displaced, which can impact its overall buoyancy.

5. How is the buoyant force calculated?

The buoyant force is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the displaced fluid and the acceleration due to gravity. This can be represented by the equation Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.