How is EMF induced in a pendulum under the influence of Earth's magnetic field?

In summary: So find the time at which v is maximal, and then use the equation ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{r\dot{\theta}}{v}## to find the maximum emf.
nishanth R

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum with bob of mass m and conducting wire of length L swings under gravity through an angle 2 theta. The Earth's magnetic field component in the direction perpendicular to swing is B. The maximum potential difference induced across the pendulum is

Homework Equations

MAGNETIC FLUX=BAcos theta

The Attempt at a Solution

Area traversed by pendulum in 2 theta=theta * L^2
Magnetic flux=BA=B*Theta*L^2
EMF=d(B*Theta*L^2)/dt
=BL^2*d(theta)/dt
=BL^omega
=BL^2*(g/L)^1/2

But the answer is BL*sin (theta/2)*(gl)^1/2

Physics news on Phys.org
Mgl(1-cosθ) = 1/2 ml2 ω2
Which gives ω= (2g(1-cosθ)/l)½
Which gives E = Bωl2 /2
E = Bl2sin(θ/2) (g/l)½

I think this is the maximum emf produced because when the pendulum rotates through an angle θ the area swept by it first decreases then increases again for the other half of the motion. Therefore the maximum emf would be produced when it sweeps through an angle θ.

You use ##\dot{\theta}=w## while ##\dot{\theta}## is something different here as pointed out earlier - we are not assuming uniform circular motion here remember.

Hey
Coffee_ said:
You use ##\dot{\theta}=w## while ##\dot{\theta}## is something different here as pointed out earlier - we are not assuming uniform circular motion here remember.
Is my method right?

Ananya0107 said:
Hey

Is my method right?

You are right about there being a maximum emf, the original commenter assumes a constant ##\dot{\theta}## which is actually a function of time for the harmonic oscillator, the maximal value of this derivative depends on the initial angle of release as the first commenter pointed out.

But if I replace the area to be transversed as theta, then is my approach correct?

Area traversed by pendulum in theta=(theta * L^2)/2
Magnetic flux=BA=B*(Theta*L^2)/2
EMF=d(B*Theta*L^2)/dt
=(BL^2)/2*d(theta)/dt
=(BL^2)/2omega
=BL^2/2*(g/L)^1/2

But the answer is BL*sin (theta/2)*(gl)^1/2

Coffee_ said:
You use θ˙=w while θ˙ is something different here as pointed out earlier - we are not assuming uniform circular motion here rememb

I suppose omega is constant in pendulum motion. It is equal to (g/L)^1/2

nishanth R said:
Coffee_ said:
You use θ˙=w while θ˙ is something different here as pointed out earlier - we are not assuming uniform circular motion here rememb

I suppose omega is constant in pendulum motion. It is equal to (g/L)^1/2

##w## is indeed constant, but for a harmonic oscillator ##\dot{\theta}(t)## is not the same as ##w##. Remember that ##\theta(t)=Acos(wt+\phi)## and so the derivative is still a function of time and not constant. You are correct up to the point of ##EMF=\frac{BL^{2}}{2}\frac{d\theta}{dt}## from this point on you make a mistake. What you have to do is realize that EMF is a function of time because ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}## is also a function of time. So what you have to do now is find the maximal value of ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}## - easiest way to do so is to use conservation of energy from the initial position.

EDIT : To do so consider the relationship ##r\dot{\theta}=v## , and when v is maximal, ##\dot{\theta}## is maximal as well.

1. How is EMF induced in a pendulum?

EMF (electromotive force) can be induced in a pendulum when it moves through a magnetic field. This movement creates a change in the magnetic flux, which in turn creates an electric field and ultimately an EMF.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of EMF induced in a pendulum?

The magnitude of EMF induced in a pendulum can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the pendulum, and the angle at which it moves through the magnetic field.

3. Can EMF induced in a pendulum be measured?

Yes, EMF induced in a pendulum can be measured using a voltmeter or by calculating the change in potential energy of the pendulum as it moves through the magnetic field.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect the induced EMF?

The length of the pendulum does not directly affect the induced EMF. However, it can affect the velocity and angle at which the pendulum moves through the magnetic field, which in turn can affect the magnitude of the induced EMF.

5. What are some practical applications of EMF induced in a pendulum?

EMF induced in a pendulum can be used to generate electricity in a pendulum generator, which can then be used to power small devices. It can also be used in seismometers to measure earthquakes and in accelerometers to measure acceleration.