How is it possible to measure an IR LED source in mW/sr?

In summary: This conversion method assumes the source is small compared to 1m and fills the detector. Try a few distances if you need to be sure.This conversion method assumes the source is small compared to 1m and fills the detector. Try a few distances if you need to be sure.
Valentin
TL;DR Summary
How is it possible to measure an IR LED source in mW/sr?
Hello everyone,
I need to make measurements of a collimated infrared light source at different angles, practically to create an intensity map, all this in mW/sr.
I can't find any equipment able to measure in mW/sr, while there are plenty of instruments capable to measure in mW/cm^2.
As I understand, there is no conversion from mW/cm^2 to mW/sr.
Any solutions or advice?

Science news on Phys.org
To convert from mW/cm2 to mW/sr, you would have to know the distance from the source to the detector, your instrument probably doesn't know that. OTOH, I don't see why you can't do the conversion yourself.

Likes Vanadium 50
DaveE said:
To convert from mW/cm2 to mW/sr, you would have to know the distance from the source to the detector, your instrument probably doesn't know that. OTOH, I don't see why you can't do the conversion yourself.
This is not a problem, I can place the sensor at a known distance, say 1m.
I assume that also the sensor's diameter/surface is a factor?

This conversion method assumes the source is small compared to 1m and fills the detector. Try a few distances if you need to be sure.

hutchphd said:
This conversion method assumes the source is small compared to 1m and fills the detector. Try a few distances if you need to be sure.
The source is an IR lambertian LED, collimated to an oval beam of 20/40°. I need to measure the radiant intensity at several points/coordinates. Many sensors are 1cm diameter so I believe it fills the sensor's surface.
The question is if there is any instrument capable of measuring directly in mW/sr.

DaveE said:
Have you tried google search yet?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steradian
Never thought about it, thanks for the "illumination".
I asked a simple question, if anyone knows if there is any instrument capable to measure W/sr, I don't need a lecture about what a steradian is or ways to go around with conversions.

To explain my point, we have at work a goniophotometer we use to test automotive lamps.
It has sensors at 3.16, 10 and 25m capable to measure lux or cd.
I install the lamp in the machine and it runs the tests by moving to the correct coordinates and measuring the intensity at each point.
I am looking for something similar but in mW/sr, the automatic part is not necessary, only a meter capable to measure in these units. I simply find it hard to believe that such thing doesn't exists.

For each distance you can derive a single conversion number. This will contain conversion from an area to solid angle. It will, for your measurement, also need to convert from photometric to radiometric units (this is wavelength dependent).

• Informative
Likes Gleb1964 and berkeman
Valentin said:
I don't need a lecture about what a steradian is or ways to go around with conversions.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be demeaning. I was just trying to help. This was in response to your question about whether the size of the detector mattered (which BTW, yes).

Valentin said:
I assume that also the sensor's diameter/surface is a factor?
So I assumed that you might not be familiar with how steradians are defined.

Good luck, I hope you find the instrument you seek. I don't know of anything like that. Most instruments give you the data they actually measure in what ever units make the most sense for the most users; that way they can sell more of them.

Likes hutchphd
DaveE said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to be demeaning. I was just trying to help. This was in response to your question about whether the size of the detector mattered (which BTW, yes).So I assumed that you might not be familiar with how steradians are defined.

Good luck, I hope you find the instrument you seek. I don't know of anything like that. Most instruments give you the data they actually measure in what ever units make the most sense for the most users; that way they can sell more of them.
Everything is OK Dave, simply the discussion was going in another direction.
Meanwhile I found a Chinese device that according to what they claim is measuring in mW/sr and has a setting of the distance. God knows if it is reliable or not, too good to be true.

hutchphd said:
For each distance you can derive a single conversion number. This will contain conversion from an area to solid angle. It will, for your measurement, also need to convert from photometric to radiometric units (this is wavelength dependent).
So if I take a sensor that measures in W/cm^2 with a surface of 1cm^2 placed it at 1m, I just multiply the measured value by 10,000 and that's it?

You said your instrument measured lux as I recall. This is not a radiometric unit so I cannot be sure you understand photometry vs radiometry.

hutchphd said:
You said your instrument measured lux as I recall. This is not a radiometric unit so I cannot be sure you understand photometry vs radiometry.
I was talking about a goniophotometer we use for other things and mentioned it as an example of the measurement PROCEDURE I am looking for. No, I have no intention to measure radiant intensity with a lux meter.
This is what I wrote in the only reply where I mentioned the word "lux"
Valentin said:
I am looking for something similar but in mW/sr, the automatic part is not necessary, only a meter capable to measure in these units.

Maybe my English is wrong or my explanations or.....

Likes hutchphd
DaveE said:
Most instruments give you the data they actually measure in what ever units make the most sense for the most users; that way they can sell more of them.
In the LED industry, the radiant intensity of IR LEDs is always specified in mW/sr. So I imagine that such equipment exists.

Likes hutchphd
Valentin said:
In the LED industry, the radiant intensity of IR LEDs is always specified in mW/sr. So I imagine that such equipment exists.
I'm glad you found a suitable instrument.

How experimental data is acquired and how it is reported are often different things. Those data sheets could have been made with a conventional power meter; in fact I would guess that they were since, as you've seen, the unconventional meters are... well..., unconventional.

hutchphd said:
This conversion method assumes the source is small
The units assume it as well. What is a steradian if you have a big, perhaps oddly shaped, source?

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
Vanadium 50 said:
The units assume it as well. What is a steradian if you have a big, perhaps oddly shaped, source?
This is a good question.
I am working on 2 projects, one is an IR illuminator with an oval beam 20/40° with radiant intensity up to 500mW/sr. The other project is an IR indicator with diffused beam and very low intensity, in the range of practically uW/sr.
I need to create for the first one an intensity map with a resolution of 1° vertically. I assume that I need to place the sensor at a distance where the sensor's diameter creates an angle of 1° from the source.
But what about the diffused one? This is supposed to be measured in an integrating sphere.

1. How is an IR LED source measured in mW/sr?

The measurement of an IR LED source in mW/sr is done using a specialized instrument called an IR radiometer. This device measures the radiant power emitted by the LED in milliwatts (mW) and the solid angle in steradians (sr), which is the unit of measurement for the angular extent of a light source. The result is then calculated as mW/sr, indicating the radiant intensity of the IR LED source.

2. What is the purpose of measuring an IR LED source in mW/sr?

The measurement of an IR LED source in mW/sr is important in determining the brightness and intensity of the light emitted by the LED. This information is useful in various applications, such as in the design and testing of IR sensors and detectors, as well as in the calibration of IR light sources for industrial and scientific use.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the mW/sr measurement?

The accuracy of the mW/sr measurement can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the IR radiometer and the LED source, the angle at which the radiometer is positioned, and the ambient temperature and humidity. It is important to follow proper measurement techniques and calibrate the instrument regularly to ensure accurate results.

4. Can an IR LED source be measured in other units besides mW/sr?

Yes, an IR LED source can also be measured in other units such as watts (W) or milliwatts per square centimeter (mW/cm2). However, mW/sr is the preferred unit of measurement for radiant intensity as it takes into account the angular extent of the light source, providing a more accurate representation of its brightness and intensity.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when measuring an IR LED source in mW/sr?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when measuring an IR LED source in mW/sr, as the emitted light can be harmful to the eyes and skin. It is recommended to wear appropriate protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, and to avoid looking directly at the LED source during the measurement process.