How is Light (electromagnetic waves) generated by electrons

In summary, the primary causes of generation of light (electromagnetic waves) by an electron depend on the state of the electron. For a free electron, it is generated by accelerating the electron, while for an electron bound to an atom or molecule, it is emitted by dropping from a higher energy state to a lower energy state. In bulk materials, it is a combination of both mechanisms. The concept of tangential kinetic energy is not applicable to electrons in atoms as they do not revolve around the nucleus like planets around the Sun. Instead, there are discrete energy levels that the electron can occupy.
Abhinay Soanker
I know this question might be too simplified but, What is the primary causes generation of light (electromagnetic waves) by electron? Is it vibration motion of electron or the motion of electron around the nucleus?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two primary ways depending on the state of the electron:

1. For a free electron, an EM wave can be generated by simply accelerating the electron. The amplitude and frequency of the EM wave depends on the magnitude of the acceleration of the electron.

2. For an electron bound to an atom or molecule, it can emit an EM wave by dropping from a higher energy state to a lower energy state.

3. For bulk materials, the mechanism is a mix of 1 and 2. Electrons are accelerated by collisions with ions and other electrons and emit EM waves as a result. This is where thermal radiation comes from. In addition, a small amount will transition between energy states if the material has some sort of bandgap, emitting specific frequencies as a result. As far as I know, this happens mainly in semiconductors and insulators, not conductors. Semiconductor lasers rely on a version of this 2nd part to generate laser light.

Likes Abhinay Soanker
Abhinay Soanker said:
I know this question might be too simplified but, What is the primary causes generation of light (electromagnetic waves) by electron? Is it vibration motion of electron or the motion of electron around the nucleus?
How much do you know about energy levels within atoms?

Comeback City said:
How much do you know about energy levels within atoms?
I have knowledge about energy level in atoms

Drakkith said:
There are two primary ways depending on the state of the electron:

1. For a free electron, an EM wave can be generated by simply accelerating the electron. The amplitude and frequency of the EM wave depends on the magnitude of the acceleration of the electron.

2. For an electron bound to an atom or molecule, it can emit an EM wave by dropping from a higher energy state to a lower energy state.

3. For bulk materials, the mechanism is a mix of 1 and 2. Electrons are accelerated by collisions with ions and other electrons and emit EM waves as a result. This is where thermal radiation comes from. In addition, a small amount will transition between energy states if the material has some sort of bandgap, emitting specific frequencies as a result. As far as I know, this happens mainly in semiconductors and insulators, not conductors. Semiconductor lasers rely on a version of this 2nd part to generate laser light.
Drakkith, Thank you for in-detail explanation. But regarding your second point, I understand when electron absorbs EM waves they jump to higher state and vice-versa. But is it because its increase in tangential kinetic energy (tangential velocity) or electron just jumps to higher order state during absorption of EM waves?

Abhinay Soanker said:
But is it because its increase in tangential kinetic energy
You are trying to apply a mechanical model to a QM phenomenon which is always a risky thing to do. An atom is not a tiny solar system. :smile:

Likes Abhinay Soanker
Abhinay Soanker said:
Drakkith, Thank you for in-detail explanation. But regarding your second point, I understand when electron absorbs EM waves they jump to higher state and vice-versa. But is it because its increase in tangential kinetic energy (tangential velocity) or electron just jumps to higher order state during absorption of EM waves?

Trying to talk about electrons in atoms as having tangential velocity is problematic because they are not classical particles. They are quantum particles and don't revolve around an atom like planets revolve around the Sun. There are discrete energy levels that the electron can be in instead.

Likes Abhinay Soanker
Abhinay Soanker said:
I have knowledge about energy level in atoms
Drakkith's post sums it up well, since he considered all the different possible cases (I was thinking just electrons in atoms). In atoms, when an electron drops down an energy level, it will emit electromagnetic radiation whose energy corresponds to the "difference" of energy between the energy levels.

Likes Abhinay Soanker
Thank you very much for the information, I'm not very familiar how the electron motion is defined based on QM. I'll try to read more about it. If there any further question I'll post it here. Thank you everyone for the help!

Abhinay Soanker said:
electron motion is defined based on QM.
Actually, that is an oxymoron. 'Motion' and QM are not on the same planet, although people constantly try to link them together. It's one or the other and you choose according to the situation.

1. What is the relationship between electrons and light (electromagnetic waves)?

Electrons are particles that carry a negative charge and are found in all atoms. When electrons are accelerated or move through a magnetic field, they create a disturbance in the electric and magnetic fields, resulting in the creation of electromagnetic waves, which we perceive as light.

2. How do electrons generate light in different sources, such as light bulbs and stars?

In light bulbs, electrons are heated and accelerated by the electrical current passing through a filament. As they move through the filament, they emit photons (particles of light) due to their changing energy levels. In stars, electrons in the outer layers of the star are heated and excited by the extreme temperatures and pressures, causing them to emit light. Other sources of light, such as LEDs and lasers, use different methods to excite electrons and produce light.

3. Can electrons emit different colors of light?

Yes, the color of light emitted by electrons depends on their energy levels. When an electron drops from a higher energy level to a lower one, it emits a photon of light with a specific wavelength, which determines its color. For example, red light has a longer wavelength than blue light.

4. How do electrons in an atom generate light without losing energy?

Electrons in an atom are restricted to specific energy levels and cannot emit light while staying in the same energy level. Instead, they can jump between energy levels by absorbing or emitting photons, without losing any energy. This process is known as the emission or absorption of light.

5. Can light be generated without the involvement of electrons?

Yes, light can be generated through other processes, such as nuclear reactions or by heating a material to extremely high temperatures. In these cases, the light is not generated by electrons, but rather by other particles or atoms in the material.