How is light related to charged particles?

In summary: It will help you get better and clearer answers.In summary, the conversation discusses the direction and interaction of the electric and magnetic fields in relation to charged particles and light. The concept of the fields being perpendicular in space is mentioned, as well as the idea of the fields permeating through all of space. The importance of formulating clear and concise questions is also emphasized.
BadgerBadger92
I did a little more research, please clarify. So the electric field is directed to the proton and that emits light? Can you get into more detail?

I am not educated in math so this is hard to understand at this point. I understand how electrons emit light but not protons. So is the magnetic field directed to the electrons while the electric field is directed to the proton? This is hard to visualize in terms of space, because Inwould imagine both the electric field would be different compared to how they’re oriented. I just need more detail.

So the only atoms that emit light are charged particles? What about electrons?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BadgerBadger92 said:
So the electric field is directed to the proton
What do you mean by ”directed to the proton”?

It is not about emitting light. Planets do not emit light and they are made of normal matter. It is about interacting with light and that is, by definitiom, what charged particles do.

I’m no mathematician so I am confused about how the electromagnetic field is oriented in space. There is the electric field then the magnetic that are unified as far as I know. Wouldn’t the electric field and magnetic field be permeating through all of space? Is the idea the magnetic and electric field being “perpendicular” in space just an abstraction to explain it? Wouldn’t not all of the protons and electrons not be hitting all the light? My question is hard for me to explain, Id like help.

Your approach here is not constructive. Instead of pouring out all your thoughts simultaneously, I would suggest that you focus on one issue per thread.
BadgerBadger92 said:
Wouldn’t the electric field and magnetic field be permeating through all of space?
Yes, they exist everywhere. However, the force on a charged particle depends only on the field values where it is.

BadgerBadger92 said:
Is the idea the magnetic and electric field being “perpendicular” in space just an abstraction to explain it?
They do not need to be perpendicular. However, they are perpendicular in the plane wave solutions for electromagnetic radiation in free space.

BadgerBadger92 said:
Wouldn’t not all of the protons and electrons not be hitting all the light? My question is hard for me to explain, Id like help.
It is unclear what you mean by "hitting all the light". I suggest you take some time to really think about what it is that you want to ask and formulating it in a concise manner.

1. How are light and charged particles related?

Light and charged particles are related through the electromagnetic force. This force is responsible for the interactions between charged particles and light, as well as the movement of charged particles in the presence of light.

2. What is the role of light in the behavior of charged particles?

Light plays a crucial role in the behavior of charged particles. It can cause charged particles to accelerate, change direction, and emit radiation. The intensity and frequency of light also affect the behavior of charged particles.

3. How does the movement of charged particles produce light?

The movement of charged particles produces light through the emission of photons. When charged particles accelerate or change direction, they release energy in the form of photons, which are particles of light.

4. Can light be affected by the presence of charged particles?

Yes, light can be affected by the presence of charged particles. When light passes through a medium with charged particles, it can be scattered, absorbed, or refracted. The properties of the charged particles, such as their charge and concentration, determine the extent to which light is affected.

5. How does the speed of light relate to the speed of charged particles?

The speed of light is constant, while the speed of charged particles can vary. In a vacuum, light travels at approximately 3.00 x 10^8 meters per second, whereas the speed of charged particles can range from a fraction of that speed to nearly the speed of light, depending on their energy and the medium they are traveling through.