How is the book "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics"?

CGandC
I learned some computer science basics from the book SICP ( Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, Authors: Gerald Jay Sussman, Hal Abelson, Julie Sussman ) and I've witnessed a book about mechanics from the same author called Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics, authors: Jack Wisdom, Gerald Jay Sussman.
How is it as a book that teaches classical mechanics ( I have experience in physics but that was long time ago )? is it worthwhile investing the time?

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
I can only assume that you looked it up on Amazon. Just because a book is not famous (talked about here or on StackExchange) doesn't mean it can't be a gem waiting to be found. This is under MIT Press and I'm pretty sure it was well reviewed by the corpus of the prestigious school. The price is high, maybe a used copy somewhere can be made available for at least 1/2 a price.

Likes PhDeezNutz and vanhees71
The book seems to be adjusted to those who are interested in numerical computations. Not my cup of tea.

Likes PhDeezNutz
I like how the book seems to relate physics to computer programs/numerical computations. The only downside is that some of the notations in the book are non-standard but that shouldn't be a problem. I think I'll order a copy once I'll have time to immerse myself into it. Thanks!

Likes vanhees71
Gerry Sussman is a professor of computer science, so what you say is not surprising. In general, I would consider physics texts written by non-physicists at best as intended for a narrow and specialized audience.

Likes vanhees71

What is the main purpose of "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics"?

The main purpose of "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics" is to provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of classical mechanics, including its fundamental principles and mathematical framework.

Is "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics" suitable for beginners?

No, this book is typically used in advanced undergraduate or graduate level courses in physics or engineering. It assumes a strong background in calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics.

What sets "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics" apart from other textbooks on the subject?

This book takes a unique approach by emphasizing the underlying structure and mathematical foundations of classical mechanics, rather than focusing solely on problem-solving techniques. It also incorporates modern topics such as chaos theory and symplectic geometry.

Are there any prerequisites for reading "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics"?

As mentioned earlier, a strong background in calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics is necessary. It is also helpful to have some familiarity with basic concepts in differential equations and Lagrangian mechanics.

Can "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics" be used as a reference book?

Yes, this book can serve as a valuable reference for researchers and practitioners in the field of classical mechanics. Its comprehensive coverage and clear explanations make it a useful resource for anyone looking to deepen their understanding of the subject.