How Is Torque Calculated for an Electric Go-Kart Motor?

• Thread starter rahul choudhary
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on building an electric go kart and needs help with the necessary calculations involving classical physics. The motor being used has a maximum RPM of 1600 and an output of 425 watts, with a gear reduction ratio of 10:1. They would like the kart to accelerate to 60 km/h in 10 seconds, but it is not feasible with the current motor. It would require about three times the power to achieve this speed. They are advised to use a simulator and study the theory to gain a better understanding.
rahul choudhary
I am building an electric go kart , and I'm just trying to get my initial justifications correct, with respect to the classical physics involved.
SPECS: motor rpm 1600
: motor output watts 425
:gear reduction ratio 10:1
. The Motor i have has a max RPM of 1600, an anyone show me best how to perform these calculations ? i understand that i need acceleration if that is the case can i just say i would like the car to accelerate to 60km/h in 10 seconds. please provide me the best specification with above details,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Although an electric motor can often produce more power for a short period of time, you will probably no be able to reach 60 km/h with 425 W. You would require about 3 times that power to reach 60 km/h in 10 s. Play around with this simulator and read the theory about it to learn more.

Related to How Is Torque Calculated for an Electric Go-Kart Motor?

1. How is torque defined?

Torque is defined as the measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis to the point where the force is applied.

2. What is the unit for torque?

The unit for torque is Newton-meter (N∙m) in the SI system, and foot-pound (ft∙lb) in the British system.

3. How can I calculate torque with a wrench?

To calculate torque with a wrench, you need to multiply the length of the wrench by the force applied to the handle. This will give you the torque value in N∙m or ft∙lb, depending on the unit used for the force and length.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the torque?

The direction of the force does not affect the magnitude of the torque, but it does affect the direction of rotation. If the force is applied perpendicular to the axis of rotation, it will create a maximum torque. However, if the force is applied at an angle to the axis, the torque will be reduced.

5. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. A negative torque indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of a positive torque. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the force and the direction of rotation when calculating torque.