How long can I heat up a container?

In summary: Q by Cp to get the time. You're right, though- if it's cold outside, you might want to supplement with something like a woodstove or fireplace.
mechwill
hi guys,

I have a little cabin in my backyard. Recently, i have dug out a 1000 Watt air heater and installed in the cabin.

I like to find out how long i need to run the heater to warm up to the room temperature of 21 ºC from the ambient of 12 ºC. Either the heater needs to be bigger or let it run longer to heat up the room

I initially start the calculation with this equation Q = m Cp delta T. Re-arrange the equation and it becomes m = Q / (Cp * delta T). Once i have find the mass flow rate, i know the volume of the room and the density of the air. I can calculate the time right?

However, one of my main concern is about the insulation and the infiltration which changes the time to heat up the room right? but that equation does not state any U value or R value. so... did i do something wrong or use the wrong equation?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome, Mechwill.
Not being educated, I would take this to be a trial-and-error problem. While formulae are a great idea, they don't always reflect reality. I see a couple of problems. One is that you claim to know the density of the air. Have you accounted for the fact that it will change as a function of the temperature rising? Secondly, and to me more importantly, is that since heat rises you will be filling up the top of the room with warm air first, which is of no use to you. While I recommend that you wait for someone knowledgeable to respond, my first thought is that you might increase your efficiency by installing a ceiling fan to blow the warm air back down.

Danger said:
Welcome, Mechwill.
Not being educated, I would take this to be a trial-and-error problem. While formulae are a great idea, they don't always reflect reality. I see a couple of problems. One is that you claim to know the density of the air. Have you accounted for the fact that it will change as a function of the temperature rising? Secondly, and to me more importantly, is that since heat rises you will be filling up the top of the room with warm air first, which is of no use to you. While I recommend that you wait for someone knowledgeable to respond, my first thought is that you might increase your efficiency by installing a ceiling fan to blow the warm air back down.

I haven't considered that option until you've mentioned it. That way you will circulate the hot and cold air in the room.

The reason why i am asking this is because that i want to know how much electricity i am paying to have that heater running. Maybe if i know the time to heat up the room, i can size down the heater and add a fan on top of it to save some money.

Thanks for the suggestion

There's no need to down-size the heater, especially since you already have one that you don't have to pay for. Just lower the duty cycle so it doesn't run more than necessary. That's what thermostats are for. It should have one built in, but if it doesn't you can nab one for 5 or 10 bucks at a hardware store. It won't use any more energy than a smaller unit running more frequently.
You could always supplement it with a good old-fashioned potbelly stove or build a nice little fireplace.

Your heater is conveniently sized to use 1 kwhr per hr.
You therefore can find out very quickly how much you pay to run your heater, simply multiply your electric $ cost/kw hr shown on your electric bill by the number of hours the heater runs.
Separately, depending on where you live and the size of your cabin, a 1000w heater is unlikely to provide much in the way of space heat. If it has a fan built in. it may be enough for a warm spot near your workbench.

etudiant said:
a 1000w heater is unlikely to provide much in the way of space heat. If it has a fan built in. it may be enough for a warm spot near your workbench.

That's more a function of the insulation than anything else. If it's very efficient, 1KW should be fine. (I suppose that I should qualify my comments by pointing out that I'm Canadian. Once our outdoor temperature hits anything over 5°, we're out on the lawn in our T-shirts slugging beer and ogling the neighbourhood girls in their bikinis...)

You know the volume of air in the box, and the density won't change all that much from 12 C to 21 C, so you know the mass of the air in the box (to the accuracy you'd need). At 10 C air is more dense than at 20 C, so use that. It's 1.247 (kg/m3)

You know the specific heat capacity of the air in the box, since it's pretty much the same at those temps (at typical room conditions, Cp=1.012)

Your delta T is obviously just 21 C - 12 C (or more correctly 294.15 K - 285.15 K) = 9 degrees C.

This gives you an estimate of the heat requirement requirement. Since you know your power in wattage, you just take the heat requirement and divide by your power available and you'll get how long it will take to heat up. Then multiply that by your electricity costs.

Then, of course, you'll need to do some estimation on how much it energy it will take to maintain that temperature.

Travis_King said:
You know the volume of air in the box, and the density won't change all that much from 12 C to 21 C, so you know the mass of the air in the box (to the accuracy you'd need). At 10 C air is more dense than at 20 C, so use that. It's 1.247 (kg/m3)

You know the specific heat capacity of the air in the box, since it's pretty much the same at those temps (at typical room conditions, Cp=1.012)

Your delta T is obviously just 21 C - 12 C (or more correctly 294.15 K - 285.15 K) = 9 degrees C.

This gives you an estimate of the heat requirement requirement. Since you know your power in wattage, you just take the heat requirement and divide by your power available and you'll get how long it will take to heat up. Then multiply that by your electricity costs.

Then, of course, you'll need to do some estimation on how much it energy it will take to maintain that temperature.

I think in order to maintain at the same level of temperature. Heat loss of the building needs to be performed. The calculation starts off with calculating the heat loss through the walls, roof, floor, windows, door, infiltration. The total amount of the heat that is loss from the room is known. Since I have 1 kW heater, which is essentially the heat source, the net heat is known. Finally, I can use the equation that you suggest to estimate the amount of time that is required to heat up the room.

Not sure if i am missing any step here. Thanks for the clarification and the step by step explanation

Danger said:
That's more a function of the insulation than anything else. If it's very efficient, 1KW should be fine. (I suppose that I should qualify my comments by pointing out that I'm Canadian. Once our outdoor temperature hits anything over 5°, we're out on the lawn in our T-shirts slugging beer and ogling the neighbourhood girls in their bikinis...)

Now i see what you do with your spare time. haha

1. How long can I heat up a container in the microwave?

The length of time you can heat up a container in the microwave depends on the type of container and the amount of food inside. Generally, it is recommended to heat up a container for no more than 2-3 minutes at a time to avoid overheating or melting the container. It is important to always check the manufacturer's instructions for the specific container you are using.

2. Can I heat up a container on the stove?

Yes, you can heat up a container on the stove, but it is important to use caution and the appropriate equipment. Make sure the container is heat-resistant and can withstand direct heat. It is also recommended to use a pot holder or oven mitt to handle the container, as it will become hot. The length of time to heat up a container on the stove will vary depending on the type of stove and the heat setting.

3. How long can I heat up a container in the oven?

The length of time to heat up a container in the oven will depend on the temperature and type of food inside. It is important to preheat the oven before placing the container inside and to follow the recommended cooking time for the specific food. Additionally, make sure the container is oven-safe and can withstand high temperatures.

4. Is it safe to heat up a plastic container?

Some plastic containers are safe to heat up, but it is important to check the labels and make sure they are labeled as microwave-safe or heat-resistant. Avoid heating up plastic containers that are not labeled, as they may release harmful chemicals into your food. It is always recommended to use glass or ceramic containers for heating up food.

5. Can I reheat food multiple times in the same container?

It is generally safe to reheat food multiple times in the same container, as long as it is done within a reasonable time frame and the food is heated to the proper temperature. However, it is important to make sure the container is clean and free from any contaminants before reheating. It is also recommended to transfer the food to a new container if it has been sitting out at room temperature for more than two hours.